Author Topic: Sri Lanka 2021.  (Read 3028 times)

Offline smandlej

Re: Sri Lanka 2021.
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2021, 09:02:28 AM »
I wouldn't say that the umpire has made a mistake, paulcm: the ruling is that, unless the umpire is sure that the ball would have hit the stumps, he must give the batsman the benefit of the doubt and  say not out.

Whether the law saying that umpire's call must be respected in review situations is an entirely different matter.

Lynda

Offline JasonP

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »
Sibley was clearly lbw three times early in his innings.As Michael Holding kept saying last summer ,the umpire’s decision ruling is ludicrous.When the ball is shown to be hitting the wicket , the fielding team having risked losing a review to prove it,there is no justification for denying the umpire has made a mistake.

There is a margin of error on Hawkeye so if a ball is shown to clip the wickets then it it may not neccessarily actually have done so.

Offline Postman

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2021, 01:36:17 PM »
Holding's view, which he advocates consistently and eloquently, is that the "umpire's call" on lbws leaves the fielding side hoping that the umpire is temperamentally an "outer" and not a "not outer"  (think, for example, Bird or Shepherd in the past as examples of the latter, compared with Ray Julian, the smiling assassin, as an example of the former). But that's how it's always been, and an umpire who repeatedly turns down decent appeals is unlikely to reach the top level and televised cricket  anyway. DRS  was introduced to eliminate the "shocker" decision (think those of B C Cooray in Sri Lanka in 2000) and succeeds in that aim so long as teams don't waste their reviews. But it also allows decisions to be made which could never have been made with the naked eye because the margins are too tight. "Umpires' call" is designed to allow for tiny possible margins of error in the technology. It's ironic that while this is probably the only aspect of DRS that still attracts criticism, in football there's talk of introducing exactly the same concept for "marginal" offsides under VAR. Unfortunately if you want to eliminate the obvious error, you have to deal with this kind of thing via protocols and the like which will always be matters for debate.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
I'm pretty sure I watched a demonstration involving Hawkeye and it predicting where a ball would travel from a bowler. It is not totally accurate as the modelling has tiny errors due to Hawkeye's assumptions in its programmimg.

Offline bobw

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2021, 07:04:26 PM »
It would be intersting to see hawkeye predictions for a number of balls that went straight through to the keeper. I do not know if it pssible to stop the video and then have the cameras predict the delivery and then rerun the video.

Offline Andy

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2021, 09:04:58 PM »
Generally the system works fine, but or at least as well as can be expected. I grew up with bent umpiring across the globe and the likes of H Bird frightened into giving decisions by a posse.

If you want to complain, then look at football. They've managed to make decisions even worse by misusing technology.