Author Topic: Irani troubles  (Read 5561 times)

Offline Andy

Re: Irani troubles
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2021, 12:46:51 PM »
The old adage  - Team spirit is a myth perpetuated only by success.

Indeed. The other old adage about papering over cracks springs to mind. 

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2021, 01:06:58 PM »
The club had no choice but to side with the players. Lose Cook, Harmer, Lawrence etc and its bye bye Essex as a competitive force for another 20 years by which time we won't even exist as a full-time professional sports club. I'm sure they do like a drink considering the average age of the dressing room, but it's worth it to have them on our team rather than Surrey/Hampshire etc.

Shame for Ronnie, but he's the collateral damage.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2021, 07:33:35 PM »

I know Alex Ferguson said this about team spirit, , but I wonder how many managers or captains agree?

Offline nat

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2021, 07:51:21 PM »

I know Alex Ferguson said this about team spirit, , but I wonder how many managers or captains agree?

The most successful football manager of modern times also said it. Neil Warnock.

Offline Andy

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2021, 12:19:55 PM »
I’m not sure that team spirit is a myth, but as much a by product of other factors as a cause of success.

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2021, 04:45:29 PM »
The club had no choice but to side with the players. Lose Cook, Harmer, Lawrence etc and its bye bye Essex as a competitive force for another 20 years by which time we won't even exist as a full-time professional sports club. I'm sure they do like a drink considering the average age of the dressing room, but it's worth it to have them on our team rather than Surrey/Hampshire etc.

Shame for Ronnie, but he's the collateral damage.

I find it odd the sour grapes on here for Ronnie, he has driven the most successful period of recent times and I'm concerned at his departure but agree if the likes of Cook, Lawrence and Harmer are concerned he had to go. I have reason to believe and first hand experience that large parts of the group do have a drinking culture, but no sure its any worse than other clubs or players of that age range.

I wonder if the perpetual selection of Buttleman/Pepper and non selection of Khushi (until now)/Chopra that many of us found inexplicable had anything to do with these rumours.

Ronnie shook things up and greater judges than us such as Dobell have tipped their hats to the good he did us, so its a worry, but i trust McGrath and Cook not to get complacent and allow poor practices to creep back, although i'm not sure i trust the current captain. i would feel more confident if SH was given the role in all formats.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2021, 05:33:00 PM »
I don't read any 'sour grapes' - he shook things up - agreed but, unfortunately, did not know when to stop being 'hands-on'. His behaviour towards Member forums - not turning up when advertised he'd be there,  was most strange imho.

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2021, 07:59:36 PM »
My sourgrapes was aimed at some of the comments here about bullying, being spoonfed tactics etc.

Yes Ronnie rubbed many up the wrong way but in his own indomitable way achieved great things for the club.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2021, 10:22:55 PM »
It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Ronnie had burst into Anthony McGrath’s office more than once this season asking why certain players were still playing (Walter, Buttleman) and certain players weren’t playing (Khushi). In which case, I’d be firmly in Ronnie’s corner.

Offline Andy

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2021, 12:12:20 PM »
If there’s a drinking culture then I would question not only the captain/coach but senior pros.  Personally I’d suggest the likes of Harmer, Sir Chef and RtD aren’t a part of this and wouldn’t tolerate it either, given their personal work rate.

Offline hufflepuff

Offline afinetickletoleg

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2021, 08:48:05 AM »
Another story today about Irani and Cook
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-9990875/PAUL-NEWMAN-ex-England-skipper-batting-legend-Alastair-Cook-forced-quit-Essex.html

I’m no Irani fan but reading this it seems that he was acting on the orders of Stephenson.

Offline nat

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2021, 09:20:14 AM »
Hmmm...not much more meat on the story. Seems there are things going on...contracts not being signed...Khushi...

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2021, 02:47:45 PM »
If Paul Newman's reporting it, it'll be true. Irani needs to remove himself from everything associated with the club before he reduces us back to Division Two cannon fodder for the sake of his own ego and the members should be forcing the issue.

As for Stephenson, this is what happens when you make jobs for the boys appointments in key positions within the club. We desperately needed a completely new face to come in with no Essex background, instead we appoint another old boy. Nice one Faragher!

Offline pablo

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2021, 03:04:41 PM »
well if we have or have had a drinking culture it hasn't done us too badly over the last few years. I have a horrible feeling that it might have something to do with the inclusivity agenda that seems to be pervading everything viz some Asian first team players and reserves. I hope I am way wide of the mark.