Author Topic: Irani troubles  (Read 5463 times)

Offline nat

Re: Irani troubles
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2021, 05:48:55 PM »
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/county-news-strife-at-essex-as-board-calls-for-inquest-into-drinking-culture-1278376

This is all getting a bit silly. GD is good at stoking controversy as per normal journalistic behaviour. Celebrating success by having a few drinks does not = a drinking culture. If someone doesn't drink alcohol there is nothing to stop them from participating in the team 'bonding'. The only caveat is if someone is ostracised because they don't drink alcohol...a different matter.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2021, 06:34:15 PM »

Beckenham is not popular with Kent members ...

You're making out it's like Barren Park.

For a festival ground it's more than adequate.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2021, 06:40:41 PM »

Beckenham is not popular with Kent members ...

You're making out it's like Barren Park.

For a festival ground it's more than adequate.

Nope - just repeating what I'm told - the location isn't popular.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2021, 07:03:30 PM »
Maybe for people who can't be bothered to catch a train from Canterbury to Bromley & then a 5 minute bus ride.

Offline Andy

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2021, 07:41:56 PM »
Irani's company sponsors the ground. Consequently, the exec board have to appear to do something.  He may have a point - it could explain why certain players' performances have deteriorated this year.  The wasting of champagne was indicative of the 'woke' nature of current society, but frankly why are professional sportspersons drinking anyway?  They should get proper jobs and spend their weekends boozing after playing for the Witham 4th XI.

But seriously, Ronnie had some strange ideas when he was captain (he loved Frank Dick's pseudo-scientific ramblings which annoyed our Aussie overseas star at the time) but there was a lack of professionalism amongst the senior pros back then and Ronnie seems to perceive something similar creeping into the club.  I can't believe that Harmer, RtD and Sir Chef would be able to drink and play given their ages/workloads, but standards have slipped with the latter two.

I suspect the club needs a stronger disciplinarian at the top a la Tonker Taylor.  RtD is going, Sir Chef seems to be preoccupied with his sheep and the next generation aren't developing as they are coming through.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2021, 07:45:28 PM »
Irani's company sponsors the ground. Consequently, the exec board have to appear to do something.  He may have a point - it could explain why certain players' performances have deteriorated this year.  The wasting of champagne was indicative of the 'woke' nature of current society, but frankly why are professional sportspersons drinking anyway?  They should get proper jobs and spend their weekends boozing after playing for the Witham 4th XI.

But seriously, Ronnie had some strange ideas when he was captain (he loved Frank Dick's pseudo-scientific ramblings which annoyed our Aussie overseas star at the time) but there was a lack of professionalism amongst the senior pros back then and Ronnie seems to perceive something similar creeping into the club.  I can't believe that Harmer, RtD and Sir Chef would be able to drink and play given their ages/workloads, but standards have slipped with the latter two.

I suspect the club needs a stronger disciplinarian at the top a la Tonker Taylor.  RtD is going, Sir Chef seems to be preoccupied with his sheep and the next generation aren't developing as they are coming through.
Irani owns CloudFM?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2021, 09:02:23 PM »
Maybe for people who can't be bothered to catch a train from Canterbury to Bromley & then a 5 minute bus ride.

Members don't all live in Canterbury though do they?

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2021, 11:33:16 PM »

Most of them live in that neck of the woods.

Still if they don't want it maybe we should offer to take it off Kent's hands.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2021, 08:34:52 AM »

Most of them live in that neck of the woods.

Still if they don't want it maybe we should offer to take it off Kent's hands.

As I said many DON'T live near Canterbury ...

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2021, 11:14:13 AM »
Odd that you're happy to believe scuttlebutt about a ground you haven't even been to.

If Beckenham was Barren Park Kent fans would have grounds for complaint.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »
Odd that you're happy to believe scuttlebutt about a ground you haven't even been to.

If Beckenham was Barren Park Kent fans would have grounds for complaint.

It's stranger than you seem to think all Kent members live near Canterbury ... lets get back on topic anyway.

Offline Mog

« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2021, 12:18:22 PM »

I'd suggest that the lack of professionalism you refer to, Andy, was a direct consequence of Irani being captain. Can you imagine how SGL, or indeed Nasser had to put up with the laughable ineptitude and amateurism of the Irani/Fletcher pairing? Then, as soon as it inevitably all went pear shaped, they looked for a scapegoat to blame.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:24:58 PM by Mog »

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2021, 04:27:03 PM »
There seems to be a lot of wishful thinking with regards to Stuart Law.

He's made a pig's ear of his Middx coaching career so it's debatable whether leadership would have improved with him as captain.

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2021, 07:45:23 PM »
The Lawman did lead Queensland to the shield a few times i believe, so can't have been terrible.

But then in Aus they say he only got 1 test cap due to his character/nature etc, so who knows.

I find this all very troubling, as Ronnie has clearly dragged us to where none of us could have dreamt again but then if the likes of Cook are against him it could tear the heart out of the club and set us back decades.

Offline afinetickletoleg

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2021, 09:23:18 AM »

I find this all very troubling, as Ronnie has clearly dragged us to where none of us could have dreamt again but then if the likes of Cook are against him it could tear the heart out of the club and set us back decades.

Ronnie has dragged us back has he?  Seems highly dismissive of the playing and coaching staff.

Get rid of Irani.  Has always come across as an egotistic, what’s in it it for me man since his retirement to me.  Even listening to his stint on TalkSport he seemed all about the freebies.