Author Topic: Irani troubles  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Crisp

Re: Irani troubles
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2021, 04:09:53 PM »
If you waive a contract in front of a players nose and they wont sign, you don't play them unless they are the best opener in the country and hope that its all repaired with Irani.

However if Feroze hasn't signed, it might tell you something about both the players and clubs future intentions.

Offline Mog

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2021, 12:10:28 PM »
If Paul Newman's reporting it, it'll be true. Irani needs to remove himself from everything associated with the club before he reduces us back to Division Two cannon fodder for the sake of his own ego and the members should be forcing the issue.

Totally! The Club need to reflect very carefully on the division and unrest that Irani has caused, and given any opportunity, will continue to cause, across his Essex career, both playing and administrating. It should be relatively simple to debar him from holding any office at the Club, (clearly with the proviso that we are operating in the labyrinthine world of No Change Essex).
Otherwise, in a couple of years time, we'll be back to perennial division two status, with Irani as Chairman, and his mates popping up in positions of power; how about Tudor as 'Fitness' coach, Fletcher making a resurgence as first - team coach, ably abetted by 'my mate Goughy', backed up with Charl Willoughby taking care of the bowling!

I am incredulous as how this individual apparently continues to cast such a shadow over the Club. Let's be clear, he was a good and tireless all-rounder - he was also the most abysmal, inept and divisive captain in Essex's post World War II history.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:12:48 PM by Mog »

Offline pablo

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2021, 01:39:07 PM »
Yes but members keep electing him.

Offline Andy

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2021, 03:24:09 PM »
Ronnie’s company sponsors the club.

Offline Mog

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2021, 11:55:54 AM »
Yes but members keep electing him.

Couple of points here, Pablo.
If he is not permitted to stand, then that is no longer an issue.
Otherwise, I'd suggest that those who typically have voted for him perhaps should take a long hard look at him....and themselves.
Let's be honest, in the days when I was a member the Club failed to even tally and publish the amount of votes each candidate had secured. Personally, I'd be very surprised if even 15% of members entitled to, even bother to vote.

Offline pablo

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2021, 12:49:54 PM »
i agree with you Mog and to be clear I didn't vote for him either. When I stood for the committee years ago I managed to get 600 + votes and finished fifth of nine with three going through. I had the promise of lots of votes from members I'd known for years who were stalwart supporters but at least one guy was elected who nobody had ever heard of. Not suggesting mal practice and it may be sour grapes but I felt it odd at the time. At the last election the 'new' Peter Edwards stood ( who I met walking around the ground but don't know  personally) who was young, personable and a breath of fresh air as well as being demonstrably bright. His particular argument which I tended to agree with was to get a least one festival at Colchester re-instated. Nonetheless the Chelmsford MP was elected who, so I'm led to believe has barely attended a cricket match in her life, and has certainly never been seen in public at the ground. It makes you wonder.

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2021, 01:24:04 PM »
Yep baffling how Ford was elected, who would vote for her and why?

Online SirChef26

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2021, 01:30:36 PM »
I’m glad she was, she’s got friends in high places and we’ll need them to survive down the line. Colchester festival was a money pit and the club need to pool their resources more sensibly.

Offline pablo

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2021, 01:47:23 PM »
It's pointless going over the festival debate again except to say that it depends on what you think is important. If the cost of Colchester was the oft quoted £70 k ( which is dubious anyway) it's the same as what it cost presumably to bring Neasham over and pay him and house him. I've never understood why Derbyshire and Kent, for instance, can afford a festival programme and we can't.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »
It's pointless going over the festival debate again except to say that it depends on what you think is important. If the cost of Colchester was the oft quoted £70 k ( which is dubious anyway) it's the same as what it cost presumably to bring Neasham over and pay him and house him. I've never understood why Derbyshire and Kent, for instance, can afford a festival programme and we can't.

Have you been to Canterbury recently? Kent sold off a chunk of land for the flats and more for the supermarket area. They destroyed the entrance area and no parking round the ground now. 

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2021, 03:12:18 PM »
I’m glad she was, she’s got friends in high places and we’ll need them to survive down the line. .

I think that's wishful thinking!

Offline Andy

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2021, 04:02:24 PM »
I’m glad she was, she’s got friends in high places and we’ll need them to survive down the line. .

I think that's wishful thinking!

Q: Why did she put herself forward?
A: Publicity and showing that she cares for the local sports community (whether she does really we don't know).

She might, of course, use her position to help her developer mates to buy the ground for more flats and the club relocates to the Baddow Meads. In that case, we become the Essex County water polo club. I'll just plant the image of Nick Browne in Speedos...

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2021, 11:25:27 AM »

Kent sold off a chunk of land for the flats and more for the supermarket area.

That was because they were potless.

They still found the money to develop Beckenham to a reasonable standard.

Meanwhile the Fortress is probably the shabbiest ground in the country &, we have no festival cricket.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2021, 11:59:25 AM »

Kent sold off a chunk of land for the flats and more for the supermarket area.

That was because they were potless.

They still found the money to develop Beckenham to a reasonable standard.

Meanwhile the Fortress is probably the shabbiest ground in the country &, we have no festival cricket.

Beckenham is not popular with Kent members ...