Author Topic: Lancs 1/4 final  (Read 1811 times)

Offline SirChef26

Re: Lancs 1/4 final
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2022, 11:23:21 PM »
Some spell for Scrimshaw though, can't see him being at Derby for much longer.

Wonderful knock from Roussouw, that's what you expect from your overseas pro in a pressure game, 600 runs across the comp now including seven 50s.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2022, 07:38:26 AM »
Some spell for Scrimshaw though, can't see him being at Derby for much longer.

Wonderful knock from Roussouw, that's what you expect from your overseas pro in a pressure game, 600 runs across the comp now including seven 50s.

Agree. Thats what we are missing.  Our OS have the ability but lack consistency.  We need someone that you know will go out and perform game after game

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2022, 09:17:42 AM »
It is such a lottery. Roussouw never did much at Hampshire.

Offline spirali

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2022, 09:42:34 AM »
Roussouw never did much at Hampshire

He made a matchwinning hundred for them in the 50-over final in 2018.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2022, 11:01:44 AM »
Spare a thought for Matt McKiernan: figures of 4-0-82-0. The most expensive 4 overs in T20 history.

More runs conceded by one bowler than the whole team scored in reply.  Has that ever happened before?

Unless anyone finds another example, the only other match I can find where this happened was the Czech Republic (278/4) vs Turkey (21) where all of the bowlers went for more than Turkey's total. https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/continental-cup-2019-1197819/czech-republic-vs-turkey-6th-match-1197846/full-scorecard

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2022, 11:28:09 AM »
And for completeness, I found another example of one bowler conceding more than their team's total. Excluding matches involving the associate nations:

Trinidad and Tobago (211/3) vs Leeward Islands (44) in 2012. Anthony Martin had figures of 4-0-70-0 which is more than the Leeward Islands total.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/caribbean-t20-2011-12-537231/leeward-islands-vs-trinidad-tobago-group-a-538737/full-scorecard

The match last night was the first time I can find of this happening in a T20 match in England.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2022, 02:54:22 PM »
spirali I listened to the recent Somerset v Hampshire commentary. The Hampshire commentator, Kevin James, who watches all their matches repeatedly said " he never did this for us" when talking about Roussouw. He acknowledged he had the capacity to play a match winning innings like the one you mentioned but said he was never consistent. This season has been remarkable for his run of scores but is an outlier as regards his UK career overall.

Offline spirali

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2022, 07:08:51 PM »
That may well be true, I can't pretend to have followed his career that closely. I do remember that Lord's final innings though and I suppose I feel a matchwinning hundred in a game like that buys you a fair bit of credit - it's probably worth at least half a season of underperformance in other games. Some otherwise very good players don't perform on big occasions (a persistent feature of Ravi's time at Essex, prior to the 2019 T20 campaign), so those that do tend to have something about them, I think.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 08:50:54 PM by spirali »

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2022, 02:15:09 AM »
Would be remiss of me not to mention Nathan Ellis and Ben McDermott for Hampshire following their Blast win. Ellis with some of the finest death bowling I've seen for a long time in the competition and McDermott after a poor group stage by his standards, turning it on with 61, 32 and 62 across Hampshire's three knockout games. Again, that's why you pay your overseas players the big bucks, because their job is to show up and win you the big games! Not concede 19 runs in an over!!!

Offline Crisp

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2022, 08:35:15 AM »
Would be remiss of me not to mention Nathan Ellis and Ben McDermott for Hampshire following their Blast win. Ellis with some of the finest death bowling I've seen for a long time in the competition and McDermott after a poor group stage by his standards, turning it on with 61, 32 and 62 across Hampshire's three knockout games. Again, that's why you pay your overseas players the big bucks, because their job is to show up and win you the big games! Not concede 19 runs in an over!!!
[/quote
Heard from a very reliable source that our overseas is back again next season

Offline nat

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2022, 09:19:38 AM »
[/quote
Heard from a very reliable source that our overseas is back again next season

As a lifeguard?