Author Topic: West Indies 2022  (Read 1612 times)

Offline LeedsExile

West Indies 2022
« on: March 08, 2022, 03:46:22 PM »
With all the current insanity in the world, thank heavens we can rely on the consistency of an England batting collapse for some sense of normality.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 03:31:48 PM by bwildered »

Offline Andy

Re: 1st Test v West Indies
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 06:19:32 PM »
Lawrence thrown away the chance of a renewed England career? Or is 20 the new 50 in the management's eyes?

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 11:04:43 PM »
Lawrence thrown away the chance of a renewed England career? Or is 20 the new 50 in the management's eyes?

Okay it's only one innings this winter from Lawrence. But he is fast approaching  the crossroads of his international career. He needs to decide which is his best suit, either red or white ball cricket. Lawrence hasn't mastered either option at the moment and time waits for no one. Personally as he can bowl as well,I think white ball cricket is his best option, but like this post it's only an opinion.

Is the 20 the new 50 in management eyes?  No probably not, but a 50 ball 20 runs should have them giving the batsman a standing ovation on the balcony!

Offline firehazard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 09:40:22 AM »
Nice century from Bairstow.

And rather enjoying England having Stokes, Foakes and Woakes in the same XI. Stokes, Foakes, Woakes and some other blokes.

Offline nat

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 10:15:17 AM »

Okay it's only one innings this winter from Lawrence. But he is fast approaching  the crossroads of his international career. He needs to decide which is his best suit, either red or white ball cricket. Lawrence hasn't mastered either option at the moment and time waits for no one. Personally as he can bowl as well,I think white ball cricket is his best option, but like this post it's only an opinion.

Is the 20 the new 50 in management eyes?  No probably not, but a 50 ball 20 runs should have them giving the batsman a standing ovation on the balcony!

'white ball' cricket is the easy option, big bucks and lots of time off. If you want to be remembered as a great cricketer then proper cricket is the only option.

I'll repeat, he should open the batting for Essex in 4 day CC cricket and if successful there is a wide open goal in front of him, opening the batting for England and eternal glory.

Offline Andy

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 01:10:03 PM »
Could be worse. Watching the ‘highlights’ of the women’s match - even more unprofessional and embarrassing.

Offline Andy

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 02:49:02 PM »
Well, Lawrence seems to have been ordered to go into white ball mode. An entertaining 37, but on a dead pitch against some ropey bowling tells us no more about his Test credentials.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 08:14:57 AM »
 Always hard to follow a large partnership, but a bright and breezy knock by Lawrence, to accelerate the total, the highlight being hitting Holder for six, but agree batted for the team ethos rather than future career prospects.
 Both sides cancelled each other out, at least England, after the now notorious slow start, managed to get some runs in each innings. However never looked like knocking them over second time around in the seventy overs.
 Just seems strange that Root took it too the final five balls ( six wickets remaining), but could not get off the pitch quick enough only couple months previous.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 11:36:38 AM »
Root is hailing this draw as a triumph. How aspirations have dimmed.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
Re: West Indies 2022
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 11:55:30 AM »
Root is hailing this draw as a triumph. How aspirations have dimmed.

Let’s not forget, England are a big fish in a small pond of red ball also rans these days, being unable to compete against the big guns Aussies, India and New Zealand  home or away in the Test Championship.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2022, 02:21:09 PM by bwildered »

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 03:23:50 PM »
 Dan Lawrence now labelled has England's 'Artful Dodger' by the media. Just needs to pick a century or too and cement a middle order position in the side. By also bowling some spin, adds a extra dimension to his selection in front of golden boy Ollie Pope.

Notice some local banners in the crowd, including Colchester Posties, know they altered my round, but did not realise it had gone that far !

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2022, 02:47:53 PM »
 Final day, a lead of hundred, but everything depends on how the wicket decides to play. Need another 150 to ensure a safe score, but the wicket needs to start playing naughty to have any chance of claiming ten wickets.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2022, 04:47:23 PM »
I assume 276 is more than enough and they'll have 2 sessions to bowl the Windies out. There's a chance, not much of a chance, but it's possible. I thought there was more in the pitch today, but that may be wishful thinking.

Well played Dan for his 41 in 39 balls. Some magnificent hitting in that score.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2022, 05:04:26 PM »
I assume 276 is more than enough and they'll have 2 sessions to bowl the Windies out. There's a chance, not much of a chance, but it's possible. I thought there was more in the pitch today, but that may be wishful thinking.

Well played Dan for his 41 in 39 balls. Some magnificent hitting in that score.

Got to lunch 281 lead, 65 overs, now or never for Capt Root to declare .
Yes a touch bizarre that Dan turned down two singles, before going for a big boundary and getting out, with Foakes and Woakes then just hitting singles, which Lawrence could have capably done to reach a half century. 

Anyway a rare sight, two Essex born players batting at the same time for England, when was the previous time that occurred?

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2022, 08:38:47 PM »
Anyway a rare sight, two Essex born players batting at the same time for England, when was the previous time that occurred?

I was going to say Cook and Westley in 2017, but Cook was born in Gloucester. I think Gooch and Stephenson in Stephenson's only test in 1989 is the most recent occasion. Unless someone can think of a more recent one.