Author Topic: Discussion about racism in County Cricket - non Essex posts  (Read 1993 times)

Offline nat

Re: Discussion about racism in County Cricket - non Essex posts
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2021, 10:00:45 AM »
Good morning everyone, what's racist today then?

Offline Andy

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2021, 10:47:39 AM »

More interested in the Tim Paine situation…especially his poor wife  :-*

Offline nat

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2021, 12:04:10 PM »

why did the pics show his inadequacy in several areas?

Offline Andy

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2021, 08:07:41 PM »

why did the pics show his inadequacy in several areas?

No Reminded me of a few of my own, unfortunately.

Offline nat

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2021, 08:22:58 PM »
why worry about a little thing like that?!

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2021, 09:50:16 AM »
I agree with Andy, upthread. I also wonder about whether it's always sensible to rush to judgement on something which happened 4 or 5 years ago.

I'm not defending Paine, whom seems on the face of it to have been a very silly chap, but we don't know who has said what to whom since then.

Offline vim

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2021, 08:17:27 AM »
Michael Vaughan in a interview with the BBC is giving his great apology.

He said that he was the first non Yorkshire born player to sign for them. No he was not, there were ones before him including Lord Hawke who was born just into Lincolnshire.

Anyway similarly to Ron Atkinson no matter how many times he apologises, meets people and attends courses. The apology will not be accepted. The punishment is never ending.

Offline nat

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2021, 08:45:31 AM »
Michael Vaughan in a interview with the BBC is giving his great apology.

He said that he was the first non Yorkshire born player to sign for them. No he was not, there were ones before him including Lord Hawke who was born just into Lincolnshire.

Anyway similarly to Ron Atkinson no matter how many times he apologises, meets people and attends courses. The apology will not be accepted. The punishment is never ending.

Why apologise if he thinks he has done nothing wrong? The answer is he is trying to save his corporate skin.

Offline Andy

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »
First non Yorker to play for Yorkshire?  I’ve been trying to find a list, even Geoff Boycott included such in one of his earlier books.  I suspect that the rule came as a reaction to the lifting of restrictions on recruitment in the county game which meant that from 1968 you didn’t have to be born in, study in, or be a resident in a county for two years in order to qualify for that county’s CC team.  So perhaps MV is referring to that era.

I don’t have much time for MV: typical bandwagon chasing guy who wanted the county game to wither away in order for the new era of The Hundred (and whatever other gimmick comes along) but I don’t have him down as a BNP supporter.

I suspect that he did say ‘that phrase’, which I suspect was a clumsy attempt at humour as the club had opened up to Asian players.  He’s from Manchester and brought up in Yorkshire - I recognise the ‘humour’. 

I’m waiting for Kaneria to crawl out of the woodwork. He needs the money, after all.

Offline nat

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2021, 11:38:25 AM »

I suspect that he did say ‘that phrase’, which I suspect was a clumsy attempt at humour as the club had opened up to Asian players.  He’s from Manchester and brought up in Yorkshire - I recognise the ‘humour’. 

Yep as always it's all about context.

Offline Andy

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2021, 01:13:49 PM »

Yep as always it's all about context.

There’s clearly been a trawl of Vaughan’s tweets. He’s going for the full mea culpa. I trust others are scrutinising Rafiqs tweets with the same level of scrunity.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2021, 02:39:36 PM »
I don't particularly like Vaughan but it seems surprising that for all the scrutiny there has been only one allegation of racism against him. You would have thought that others would have come forward if there was a case to answer.

Offline Andy

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2021, 03:05:36 PM »
I don't particularly like Vaughan but it seems surprising that for all the scrutiny there has been only one allegation of racism against him. You would have thought that others would have come forward if there was a case to answer.

Well, others have supported the allegations about that original phrase.  However we know these things tend to unfold in an almost choreographed manner…

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2021, 08:43:29 PM »
One of the other being Rafiqs best mate and business partner who also has had well publicized run ins with the media and powers that be over his attitude.