Author Topic: Will the Australia Tour go ahead?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline dazedpenguin

Re: Will the Australia Tour go ahead?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2021, 03:07:51 PM »
I think Parkinson, Mahmood, Carse, (maybe Sam Cook ?) and Vince will be in the Lions squad that travels at the same time as the main squad. I read that the plan is to pursue "supreme accuracy" in the absence of Archer and Stone. The problem is that the Aussies also have supreme accuracy, but they also have pace. I think Wood will do well on Australian pitches, but it's very unlikely he'll make it through 5 tests.

I suspect they might pack the batting and just play 4 seamers with no spinner. Utterly depressing.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2021, 03:18:25 PM »
Id take Garton in the Lions squad. Think he could do well for England

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2021, 03:27:11 PM »
I'm surprised he didn't get in the T20 squad ahead of Tom Curran. If he's fit enough for red ball cricket then he's a great prospect.

Online JasonP

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2021, 03:32:35 PM »
I think Parkinson, Mahmood, Carse, (maybe Sam Cook ?) and Vince will be in the Lions squad that travels at the same time as the main squad. I read that the plan is to pursue "supreme accuracy" in the absence of Archer and Stone. The problem is that the Aussies also have supreme accuracy, but they also have pace. I think Wood will do well on Australian pitches, but it's very unlikely he'll make it through 5 tests.

I suspect they might pack the batting and just play 4 seamers with no spinner. Utterly depressing.

Is there any point picking a spinner?  We don’t have one that will trouble the Aussies over there at all.

Offline nat

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2021, 03:53:21 PM »

Is there any point picking a spinner?  We don’t have one that will trouble the Aussies over there at all.

We do but they haven't picked him. Parkinson.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 04:03:35 PM »
Agreed, Parkinson is our best.

Lawrence is lucky, no chance he would have made it in if Ben Stokes or Sam Curran was fit. At least he'll be able to utilise all those drinks carrying methods he learned over the summer.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 04:23:27 PM »
There will also be a few English players n the BBL in Aus. So they will be out there already.  I know Mahmood is signed up already

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2021, 04:21:28 PM »
Parkinson bowls far too slowly for Aussie wickets and would get hammered. If a leg spinner must be shoehorned in Crane is the best leggie for the conditions.

The offies are much of a muchness.

Bess is stealing a living as test player!

Offline Andy

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2021, 06:28:56 PM »
As our esteemed Home Secretary lives in the County she could fast track Harmer's citizenship?

Offline nat

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2021, 08:18:23 PM »
As our esteemed Home Secretary lives in the County she could fast track Harmer's citizenship?

Would be quicker for SH to change his name to Mohammed, buy a dingy in France, sail it to Dover and claim asylum. Be in the England team within the week.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2021, 10:21:46 AM »
Parkinson bowls far too slowly for Aussie wickets and would get hammered. If a leg spinner must be shoehorned in Crane is the best leggie for the conditions.

The offies are much of a muchness.

Bess is stealing a living as test player!
Whichever spinners we pick, I doubt if they will get much of a look-in.
Unless we get a "Brisbane sticky" or similar, or we haven't got 4 fit seamers, I expect us to play 4 seamers. With the likelihood of one or more of Anderson, Broad and Wood breaking down mid-match, it would be a hell of a risk to do otherwise.

So our apology for a spin attack will be the Joe & Dan show. Maybe Malan's leggies if we're REALLY desperate

Offline Andy

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2021, 12:35:00 PM »

Would be quicker for SH to change his name to Mohammed, buy a dingy in France, sail it to Dover and claim asylum. Be in the England team within the week.

Still reading The Daily “Angry Boomer” Expr*ss, Nat?  I’ll ask me mum to pop next door…

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2021, 01:14:19 PM »
Parkinson, Carse, Mahmood and Crane in the Lions squad announced today. Disappointed that Sam Cook didn't get a place, but they've gone for Liam Norwell and Matthew Fisher instead.

Abell, Bohannon, Bracey, Carse, Crane,  Fisher, Foakes, Lees, Mahmood, Norwell, Parkinson, Sibley, Jamie Smith, Yates.

Offline nat

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2021, 01:25:48 PM »
Parkinson, Carse, Mahmood and Crane in the Lions squad announced today. Disappointed that Sam Cook didn't get a place, but they've gone for Liam Norwell and Matthew Fisher instead.

Abell, Bohannon, Bracey, Carse, Crane,  Fisher, Foakes, Lees, Mahmood, Norwell, Parkinson, Sibley, Jamie Smith, Yates.
Still obsessed with pace. Fisher will go lame...and Carse... my *rse

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 02:29:36 PM »

Disappointed Little Chef didn't get in, IMHO he's got more chance of maturing into a good Test bowler than Liam Norwell. (I can't recall seeing Matt Fisher for a fair while.) Surprised Liam Livingstone has been omitted, and Tom Abell & Alex Lees selected. Pleased to see Brydon Carse & Saqib Mahmood picked - they both bowled very well in the ODIs; Carse should get some decent bounce on the Aussie wickets & looks a useful number 8 as well. They must both stand a decent chance of being drafted into the Test team given the high probability of at least one of our Test seamers breaking down.

Whether Crane or Parkinson does better will be interesting. I back the latter

I wonder what Foakes will be feeling as he sees two far inferior wicketkeepers, neither of whom have been great with the bat in the last few years, playing for the Test team while he's in the stiffs. 

BTW, good article at https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/england-lions-in-australia-2021-22-rob-yates-liam-norwell-josh-bohannon-named-in-england-lions-squad-1283054