Author Topic: Will the Australia Tour go ahead?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline oldhasbeen

Will the Australia Tour go ahead?
« on: October 04, 2021, 10:58:31 AM »
The big question. I think it's 60:40 against, the Australian states' individual Covid rules will make it very, very difficult to do a half-decent tour. (An Aussie friend has given me the lowdown of just how hard it is to cross state lines down under at the moment)

And if it does go ahead, I'll be surprised if at least 4 or 5 players decline to go. Joss Buttler for a start.

Any thoughts, fellow Essex Men (and ladies)?

Offline Andy

Re: Will the Australia Tour go ahead?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 11:38:18 AM »
Difficult political decision. We've been hosting series over the past two summers, yet pulled out of overseas tours - then got upset with the Indian team withdrawing from the 5th Test.

Personally I think the ACB has made a mistake in scheduling the tests across five venues. In effect, whilst I don't critise the zero covid policy of their government it does mean that crossing internal borders is tricky.

The apparent changes to rules for vaccinated people might be helpful, but I guess they will go into lockdowns again.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2021, 12:11:46 PM »
My guess: it will go ahead because it's too important to be cancelled. I don't think it will be played in all states though. Geoff Lemon, being an Aussie journalist, is better placed than most to know what's going on and his view is that Perth will go and they'll go for Hobart or Canberra instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/02/australias-confusing-covid-rules-shroud-ashes-in-uncertainty. (edited to add correct link).

Now the ECB have come out and said that they "must select a squad befitting a series of this significance". I think that's putting pressure on Cricket Australia and the Australian government (and states). No way can the Ashes be cancelled and it will be failure of leadership from the ECB and CA if it is. There is too much money and reputation on this, so they will find a way, even if it's playing multiple tests at the same venues.

And if Root doesn't go, that has to be it for his captaincy. It's tough, but the captain can't get to pick and choose.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 12:22:03 PM by dazedpenguin »

Offline nat

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2021, 12:23:04 PM »
it won't happen. Postponed until 2022-3.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2021, 12:33:23 PM »
My guess: it will go ahead because it's too important to be cancelled. I don't think it will be played in all states though. Geoff Lemon, being an Aussie journalist, is better placed than most to know what's going on and his view is that Perth will go and they'll go for Hobart or Canberra instead.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/02/australias-confusing-covid-rules-shroud-ashes-in-uncertainty. (edited to add correct link).

Now the ECB have come out and said that they "must select a squad befitting a series of this significance". I think that's putting pressure on Cricket Australia and the Australian government (and states). No way can the Ashes be cancelled and it will be failure of leadership from the ECB and CA if it is. There is too much money and reputation on this, so they will find a way, even if it's playing multiple tests at the same venues.

And if Root doesn't go, that has to be it for his captaincy. It's tough, but the captain can't get to pick and choose.
Good Grauniad article, DP. Well worth reading

Offline Shenfield Eagle

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 02:21:44 PM »
Money talks, it will go ahead in some format.

The youngsters in the u21 without wives or families will be drafted into the test squad to make it happen

Offline nat

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2021, 02:36:48 PM »
Money talks, it will go ahead in some format.

The youngsters in the u21 without wives or families will be drafted into the test squad to make it happen
I fear you are right.

Offline Andy

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2021, 03:47:49 PM »
it won't happen. Postponed until 2022-3.

When in 2022/23?  We play almost continuously throughout the year.

I suspect Geoff Lemon is close to the answer - think very carefully as to which States host and when.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 11:58:34 PM »
It will definitely happen because Cricket Australia can't afford for it not to. Even if it means staging every test in the same state. England won't have any problems fielding a squad because all those players on the periphery of selection including our own Mr Lawrence will be more than happy to jump on the plane and take advantage of any senior players pulling out. It's no surprise that Pope has already gone public on his availability. Expect the likes of Hameed, Crawley, Sibley etc to follow suit.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2021, 06:57:33 AM »
After hearing an Aussie journalist on the beeb yesterday,  I think the tour will probably go ahead. The financial impact of cancellation and the great difficulty of rescheduling the tour will make it happen, but in what form and with which players is anyone's guess

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2021, 07:59:34 AM »
Can see it going ahead, but could finish like the recent India home series !

Offline afinetickletoleg

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2021, 08:42:34 AM »
Can see it going ahead, but could finish like the recent India home series !

Is there another IPL scheduled to start immediately after the final test then?

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2021, 07:35:44 AM »
Could become a Kerry Packer situation, with two England sides, but this time the did goes and no goes.
With the India fifth test result still to be confirmed by ICC, my Baldrick cunning  plan is, we could win the first test then pull out, then would qualify has Ashes success and reclaim . It would save the hiding that becomth.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 07:41:51 AM by bwildered »

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2021, 12:43:12 PM »
Well, we are going. And I'm astonished that none of the senior players have pulled out.

I have some sympathy with Spoons in selecting a squad, with matchwinners like Stokes & Archer unavailable, other injuries (Stone & S Curran) and a county system which is no longer geared up to producing Test players.
Having said that, I'm surprised at the conservatism of the selections.  I was quite shocked to see Dom Bess selected and Ben Foakes omitted, and very disappointed that Saqib Mahmood and Matt Parkinson weren't in the squad.
IMHO Bairstow has had his day at Test level. Woakes record in Australia is poor, although in the absence of our other all-rounders, Moeen and Stokes, and the high probability that Anderson and/or Broad will break down at some point,  I can understand why he's been selected. Craig Overton is similar to Ollie Robinson, and not as good.

10-1 against us winning the series for me. 

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2021, 12:55:12 PM »
I agree with all your points old has been. A very unimaginative squad that reveals how bare the domestic cupboard is. I read that Vince was unlucky not to be selected. If we are reduced to going back to players who have previously failed things are bleak.