Author Topic: MCC cave in to woke brigade  (Read 673 times)

Offline LeedsExile

MCC cave in to woke brigade
« on: September 22, 2021, 12:13:32 PM »
MCC have deemed it necessary to amend the rules of cricket to replace the term batsman with batter. This is totally unnecessary. If people want to use batter that is their prerogative but it is also mine to use batsman as I have all my life. You would think they had better things to do with there time.

Offline Andy

Re: MCC cave in to woke brigade
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 12:17:30 PM »
MCC have deemed it necessary to amend the rules of cricket to replace the term batsman with batter. This is totally unnecessary. If people want to use batter that is their prerogative but it is also mine to use batsman as I have all my life. You would think they had better things to do with there time.

At least W*nk*r is not gender-specific- or is it?

Offline nat

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 12:19:52 PM »

Yep we're in the Woke-age and cricket is not immune from infection sadly.

Offline bobw

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 12:56:13 PM »
how long before third man and twelth man go the same way?

Online oldhasbeen

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 01:04:55 PM »
Third man is being referred to as "third" by some commentators.

It could get worse. One football pundit  was hauled over the coals a few months for referring to a player who bottled out of a tackle as "a big girl's blouse"

BTW I'm not sure what the politically correct version of "Chinese cut" is any ideas? (Not "Harrow Cut" please)

Offline Andy

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 01:51:42 PM »

It could get worse. One football pundit  was hauled over the coals a few months for referring to a player who bottled out of a tackle as "a big girl's blouse"

BTW I'm not sure what the politically correct version of "Chinese cut" is any ideas? (Not "Harrow Cut" please)

I’d be happy to change a chinaman to an Achong - giving credit to the individual.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 02:34:08 PM »

I’d be happy to change a chinaman to an Achong - giving credit to the individual.

Mankad might need changing in these woke times though.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 02:39:23 PM »
I shall continue to refer to batsman/batsmen when speaking about cricket, unless it's a women's match when I will use the term 'batswoman'.  Suspect a lot of us BOFs will do the same.

Lynda

Offline Perov

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »
As someone who still calls a  Snickers bar a Marathon, and Starburst sweets, Opal fruits, it will take more than a directive from the ECB for me  to call batsman, a batter.  :D

Online bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 03:21:45 PM »
Language is always evolving, so who cares,  and who the ….  are the woke brigade ?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 03:24:04 PM »

Batter is what I have on my fish ...

Offline pablo

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 04:42:58 PM »
Do keep up Lynda. You can't call them batsmen and batswomen  unless you add batsperson because some  may be transitioning or don't identify with any gender. As has been said language evolves sometimes  into self indulgent insanity at the behest of a micro minority.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 05:42:14 PM »
I did think about batsperson, pablo, but as far as I can see - certainly in the men's game - we don't have any transitioning players at the moment.  Or, at least, none who have made themselves known.  If you don't identify with any gender, surely you can't play in either the men's or women's format?  As for which loo you use, the mind boggles.

Lynda

Offline bobw

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 06:07:51 PM »
I am a little concerned about the proposal for batsperSON. Why not batsperTHEY to also cover batsperDAUGHTER?