Author Topic: What county/international grounds have you been to?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline squarelegumpire

Re: What county/international grounds have you been to?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 04:44:44 PM »
Of the more obscure grounds (or no longer used) I've been to Folkstone, Bath, the old Hastings, Shenley, Radlett, and Tring.
All the usual ones like Lords, Oval etc, but the best have to be Tunbridge Wells, Arundel, and at number one Wormsley.
It was there I saw Essex play the Unicorns in April, and it was probably the coldest day I have ever watched cricket! Luckily there was a Yorkshire tea van, giving away free tea.

Coldest place I've ever watched cricket was Edinburgh in(I think) 2005 when Essex played Scotalnd. Early May, the ground faced North and there was a strong North wind blowing
I was frozen!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 10:13:54 AM by squarelegumpire »

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 05:34:12 PM »
Coldest place I've watched cricket is Canterbury.

That place is insane in April.

Makes Barren Park look balmy.

Lord's can get really nippy too.

Offline Andy

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 05:55:06 PM »
Coldest place I've watched cricket is Canterbury.

That place is insane in April.

Makes Barren Park look balmy.

Lord's can get really nippy too.

I remember watching the 1991 FA Cup Final from the tv in the old indoor nets - there was a match going on in the ground but it was artic conditions out there.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 06:45:50 PM »
I was at Fenners when the umpires suspended play because of the cold. 1981, I think, with Pringle playing for the university. Ilford 1980, when we played Somerset and half the team had flu, was freezing too. That was the Bank Holiday Monday, the day the SAS went into the Iranian embassy. The hottest, Southchurch Park 1989 springs to mind. The Saturday v Yorks, which was the game which attracted the 25 point penalty.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2021, 10:15:59 AM »
Some years ago Essex played a pre-season tournament in the UAE, and as we were going on to SE Asia we started early and watched three games there.
That was VERY HOT.