Author Topic: What county/international grounds have you been to?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline kingstonj1

What county/international grounds have you been to?
« on: September 14, 2021, 01:00:17 PM »
Ripping of a thread on kim jones, but no cricket today so interesting to see where others have been.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
Re: What county/international grounds have you been to?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 02:48:00 PM »
I've been to nearly all first class grounds now including some that are no longer used e.g. Folkestone, Chalkwell Park :)

The ones I've still to do are Swansea, Merchant Taylors School, Beckenham and Headingley.

Sadly the 'new' Hastings ground is not going to be used in 2022 so that's two 'lost' in one town alone.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 02:53:48 PM »
Beckenham is pretty well appointed these days.

Shame Essex can't see fit to have a ground like that in outer London.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 03:08:31 PM »
Have been to most of the old Essex grounds from days gone by.  Cardiff Arms Park, Swansea, Port Talbot and Ebbw Vale - had cricket-loving friends living in Cardiff, met them at Lords at the final of the Gillette Cup in 1963.  Apart from those, very few: Old Trafford, Chester-le-Street, Canterbury, the Oval.  Think there was also a Middlesex outground, but don't remember which one.  I think Steve had only been to Old Trafford and maybe Aigburth before we met (he was born in Lancaster).

Lynda

Offline Slogger

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 05:17:37 PM »
Not as many as I would like! My bucket list includes watching Essex away at every other county. I'm missing quite a few of those.

The nicest three grounds I have attended are Tunbridge Wells, Arundel and Colchester. I was also quite impressed by Southgate.

I did attend the new Hastings ground when Sussex played the Zimbabwe touring team there in around 2000. Murray Goodwin got a very quick 50 for the tourists, no wonder Sussex signed him! My other quirky one is seeing Gordon Greenidge playing for Greenock during a work trip to Scotland in 1990. Not first class though!

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 06:03:16 PM »
I think my nicest would be Arundel, Wormsley (Unicorns friendly), Chesterfield and Exmouth (for novelty).

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 06:08:23 PM »
I think my nicest would be Arundel, Wormsley (Unicorns friendly), Chesterfield and Exmouth (for novelty).

Is Exmouth first class? I saw a Unicorns match there ...

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 07:22:14 PM »
No, but is that a condition?! As long as a county playing i'm sure that counts! Also suggestions Somerset have played there as a home fixture in years gone by.

I saw Essex play in the C&G (i think) first round, over 2 days due to rain. Shep was umpiring as he was local. One of his last games i reckon.

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 07:27:24 PM »
Looked it up no shep umpiring...think he did the MoM presentation at ed though, he was definetley there!

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 08:05:44 PM »
No, but is that a condition?! As long as a county playing i'm sure that counts! Also suggestions Somerset have played there as a home fixture in years gone by.

I saw Essex play in the C&G (i think) first round, over 2 days due to rain. Shep was umpiring as he was local. One of his last games i reckon.

OK so where do we stop? Any ground where a first class county has played?

Offline Caughtright

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 10:19:18 PM »
Mannofield, home of Aberdeenshire, where we lived for 31 years (n.b. not in oil etc.), a ground also used by Scotland - even more attractive than Valentine's Park, Ilford, where I was born and bred ...

Offline Perov

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 05:28:34 AM »
Of the more obscure grounds (or no longer used) I've been to Folkstone, Bath, the old Hastings, Shenley, Radlett, and Tring.
All the usual ones like Lords, Oval etc, but the best have to be Tunbridge Wells, Arundel, and at number one Wormsley.
It was there I saw Essex play the Unicorns in April, and it was probably the coldest day I have ever watched cricket! Luckily there was a Yorkshire tea van, giving away free tea.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »
Is Radlett that obscure?

Middx played most of their games there this season.

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 12:22:22 PM »

OK so where do we stop? Any ground where a first class county has played?

its not a competition! but yes that sounds like a good parameter otherwise will list Terling, Little Baddow etc!

Offline kingstonj1

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »
Of the more obscure grounds (or no longer used) I've been to Folkstone, Bath, the old Hastings, Shenley, Radlett, and Tring.
All the usual ones like Lords, Oval etc, but the best have to be Tunbridge Wells, Arundel, and at number one Wormsley.
It was there I saw Essex play the Unicorns in April, and it was probably the coldest day I have ever watched cricket! Luckily there was a Yorkshire tea van, giving away free tea.

That was the game i was at with my dear departed spaniel who wouldnt stop barking for some unknown reason so didnt hang around too long, especially given the aforementioned freezing cold and limits on where you could watch from!