Author Topic: Pay at the gate farce.  (Read 652 times)

Offline Perov

Pay at the gate farce.
« on: September 06, 2021, 07:41:48 PM »
At the moment, for some reason,  the public cannot turn up on the day, pay and gain entry to the match. I understand they don't want cash, but why can't they pay by card?

Today at Chelmsford Railway Station, a friend was asked by a guy if he could show him the way to the cricket. Apparently the guy had travelled from Suffolk, wanted to see a day's cricket, not knowing the situation, tried to pay on the gate. No chance, not even by card.
My friend, a member, feeling sorry for the guy, asked could he get him in as his free guest.
Yes, was the answer. So the guy got in, ......and the club lost out on £15.   

Offline nat

Re: Pay at the gate farce.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 07:54:06 PM »
You can buy a ticket online on the day and show the QR code (via E-mail) on your phone at the gate.

Offline Perov

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 04:28:13 AM »
But he didn't know. He had travelled 40 miles and they wouldn't take his card, because "they need to know details of who is in the ground"
So he was swiped through as a guest, so no one knew his details!

Not everyone, is IT savvy, or have a smart phone. That should not exclude them from going to cricket. 

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 07:19:26 AM »
Suggest Perov to contact the club on

General Enquiries(01245) 252420questions@essexcricket.org.uk
and see what is the reply . It would be interesting to know.
Let’s thank your friend for getting them entry.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2021, 07:32:07 AM »
You couldn't make it up, could you?

The Americans have a phrase for this (pity we don't have one that exactly fits the bill) - go figure!

Lynda

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2021, 07:43:40 AM »
But he didn't know. He had travelled 40 miles and they wouldn't take his card, because "they need to know details of who is in the ground"
So he was swiped through as a guest, so no one knew his details!

Not everyone, is IT savvy, or have a smart phone. That should not exclude them from going to cricket.

I suppose the 'assumption' was that as he was a guest, he could be contacted through the member bringing him in. Not always wise.

Back in my long-distant youth I attended a Tech which had a preponderance of male students. We ran a Saturday night night dance, highly regarded in the area. Local girls would hang around the entrance asking unaccompanied young men to take them in in, hoping, presumably to have whatever they regarded as a good time!
Over the three years I was there I took several girls in; once inside, unless there was any mutual attraction. we parted company.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »
The  answer is for the club to install a large touch screen device,  which will take card transactions  just by the entrance. This would accommodate those who have not already acquired a match day ticket in advance.

Offline nat

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 06:45:46 PM »
The  answer is for the club to install a large touch screen device,  which will take card transactions  just by the entrance. This would accommodate those who have not already acquired a match day ticket in advance.

Or organise a dance.

Offline Andy

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 10:15:52 AM »

Or organise a dance.

Given that the club appears to struggle with organising the proverbial in a brewery. I hate to think what would happen…