Author Topic: Discussion re 100 comp split from G thread  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Perov

Discussion re 100 comp split from G thread
« on: August 03, 2021, 02:29:38 PM »
I would still rather watch Essex in a weakened competition than Gun's For Hire v Motley Crew Eleven,  in the Hundred.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 05:31:08 PM by mawallace »

Offline Slogger

Re: Re: vs Gloucestershire (A)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 09:58:07 AM »
When he joined it was suggested Snater had some batting ability. In reality we are only missing two players to the 100, Cook and Neesham with Porter injured. In a strong competition we would be mediocre but we're playing pumped up second teams. I imagine we will get into the knock out phase. If we get to play on a turning pitch who knows what we could do. Our seam bowling looks weak.

Offline neil

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 03:02:09 PM »

I used to lurk in the old days and your style reminds me of a poster called diatribe who I believe got banned for being a troll.
Negative after negative, criticizing the club constantly, getting players names wrong, ridiculous over emotive language; abject, depths etc.
We are the most successful county of the last 3 years, we cannot win everything and have punched massively above our weight. The pitch at Gloucs was a sticky dog. We are top of the table and doing well in this comp a lot down to not being as weakened by the hundred as others, but we still have to win the games.

Please some credit when its due.

But i think the raison detre of this forum is overreaction, so as you were!!

Very harsh - this poster does not always post negative views.

I agree it's harsh in terms of Reddevil who does post with care and thought

But not too sure it's unfair on the forum as a whole. It does give off a negative vibe (apart from one or two)  - during games there are overreactions to the state of play and players (that's very reminiscent of the football forum I am on) - to me that's just like being at the game with the highs and lows - but they do happen on occasions when time for objective thought could be taken

I think, though, it's the continuing carping about the players/possible targets that really grates. Considered criticism is fine but not little digs without foundation. Must be me but all the forums I am on these days seem to be full of grumpy old people. I am, actually, quite enjoying the Hundred myself...

Nobody wants a happy clappy forum (as ytsejam points out) but one where as soon as something goes wrong everyone lets off is equally unattractive. I am sure we all agree that this season has been relatively disappointing - especially given how well we have done recently. Some decisions were (particularly in hindsight) wrong but we are entering a transitional period and I think it's going to be a rocky ride for a while as new players (be they through the ranks or from outside) settle in. But - as kingstonj1 says - we are doing okay in the 50 overs so we still have something to be interested in

I'd pretty much decided not to post on here again but did want to let kingstonj1 know that they aren't alone in their general thoughts - even if we disagree about Reddevil

« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 03:07:59 PM by neil »

Offline Andy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 03:28:40 PM »
Neil, Neil. "I quite like the hundred". Oh dear. There's a posse (and I said 'posse') being set up as I write this...

Offline neil

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 03:40:29 PM »
Neil, Neil. "I quite like the hundred". Oh dear. There's a posse (and I said 'posse') being set up as I write this...

Yeah well

Some of us are stuck at home a lot and see all of our cricket on TV

;D ;D

I have no problem with T20 and if The Hundred brings some much needed youth into cricket that's all good with me. I do understand, though, that the impact it has had on other forms of the game is an issue

Offline Andy

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 08:33:04 PM »

Yeah well

;D ;D

I have no problem with T20 and if The Hundred brings some much needed youth into cricket that's all good with me. I do understand, though, that the impact it has had on other forms of the game is an issue

T20 is different because it stays reasonably close to the establied limited overs format, without the unnecessary complexification (countdowns, little white cards etc.). Furthermore the T20 at least retains the counties, albeit with stupid nicknames, rather than a cynical exercise to destroy the county system.

Offline nat

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 08:46:33 PM »

Yeah well

;D ;D

T20 is different because it stays reasonably close to the establied limited overs format, without the unnecessary complexification (countdowns, little white cards etc.). Furthermore the T20 at least retains the counties, albeit with stupid nicknames, rather than a cynical exercise to destroy the county system.

Exactly and succinctly put if I may add.

Offline Reddevil

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 08:47:41 PM »
Reaction to claims of negativity in my recent posts, demonstrate what a wonderfully broad, well informed, balanced forum we have, offering very diverse views, to which each and every one who bothers to post is entitled.

I agree very much with   ytsejam1’s assessment that we have become spoiled and even complacent in our expectations that the good times will continue ad infinitum.

There is always a happy medium  to strike between opposing views, and on reflection, maybe I was having a not so positive day and have taken it out too harshly on the club, I have loved, cherished and supported since 1960.

Every contracted player on the staff are trying their hardest, I am very sure of that.

Perhaps I shall be more sanguine over the difference between loss and win. It is sport, and anything can happen, and does, regularly. Ask Virat Kohli after his golden duck yesterday.

So thank you Kingstonj1, for prompting me to consider that in future I shall try to view the glass half full and not half empty.

We all support this great club, may be in different ways, but we all want Essex to prosper.

Thank you Neil for your comments. I will donate £10 to the Ruth Strauss foundation when I attend Lords for all five days next week. Lucky me.

Case closed. No more comments please.

Offline neil

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 09:39:30 PM »

Yeah well

;D ;D

And we retain the current system(s) and they wither on the vine

I was bought up watching county cricket from the edge of the boundary at Ilford. I've always supported Essex - and always will - but I don't have any issues with attempted innovations to attract a different kind of support - especially in the short firms of the game.

Look at this forum - the majority of us are not exactly in the first flush of youth....

;D ;D

Offline Andy

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2021, 10:09:56 PM »

Yeah well

;D ;D

I was bought up watching county cricket from the edge of the boundary at Ilford. I've always supported Essex - and always will - but I don't have any issues with attempted innovations to attract a different kind of support - especially in the short firms of the game.

Look at this forum - the majority of us are not exactly in the first flush of youth....

;D ;D

With coloured clothing, music, replays on video the T20 format is able to reach out to the youth. The only reason for this turkey is that Collier stupidly sold off the rights to S*Y. 

Offline stewyww

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 06:59:38 AM »

Yeah well

;D ;D

;D ;D

"And we retain the current systems and they wither on the vine"

Neil, are you sure?
From the last part of the nineteenth century up to 1963, the game, bar a little tinkering with bonus points, barely changed in structure.
Since then, and more particularly since the start of this century, the changes have been on an monumental scale, too many to list here but I will do if you wish.

These new competitions or restructuring of leagues have largely been for the better (despite initial scepticism), but the very essence of what cricket is fundamentally about has been left untampered.

Until now that is, with garish colours dominating the tv screen, 5 ball overs (or not overs?), match hero caps, players affiliated to eight forgettable franchises by money and nothing else; hit and giggle knockabouts that you have forgotten about the following day (at the latest), and most sickeningly, several commentators who I highly respected beforehand, now sucking up to this American style hype.

Not one of these mercenaries has been able to explain to me how the reduction of 20 balls from the T20 competition magically produces a competition which the BBC in particular go into collective orgasms over.

With the advent of the throwaway society however, let's hope this is one competition which will "wither on the vine" before the 2022 fixtures come out.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 07:05:06 AM by stewyww »

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2021, 10:11:46 AM »
I agree with your sentiments stewyw but I believe we are saddled with this competition for at least three years. The ECB will only make money out of it if they can persuade someone else to pay for the format which seems highly unlikely the way 20/20 is entrenched around the world. When the IPL switches to the hundred the ECB will make a fortune. However if that does not happen ......

Offline Andy

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2021, 12:35:15 PM »
 All excellent points - clearly thought through and neither hysterically revolutionary nor knee jerk reactionary. As Stewyw rightly says the post 1963 (or perhaps post 1969) era has seen a heck of a lot of change.

Perhaps the T20 came along at the right time as the multiple longer 2 day formats were becoming stale, but if a new format is due, why not t10 or a double innings of 2*10 overs? The achilles heel of white ball cricket is there's no chance of compensating for a poor batting display.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2021, 01:05:17 PM »
T10 is already established around the world and would have met the broadcasters needs perfectly I am sure if offered. However those with vast egos decided otherwise.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2021, 03:58:51 PM »
There's also the 90/90 format which is launching next year in the UAE. I can see other tournaments using some of the ideas from the Hundred such as having to move fielders back inside the circle when overs aren't bowled by a certain time, but not the whole concept.

I wish the tournament had been T20 and particularly a revamped Blast, but then the only way to do that would be to have 2 divisions and concentrate the TV coverage on the top one. Inevitably everything would gravitate to the test hosting counties, much as is happening with the franchises. I honestly don't see where we go now. 4 competitions aren't sustainable, the schedule is a mess- and does no favours to the test team- and yet can the small counties survive without the Blast?