Author Topic: Middlesex  (Read 720 times)

Offline LeedsExile

Middlesex
« on: July 08, 2021, 04:27:38 PM »
Many on this board are quick to criticise Essex but spare a thought for our London neighbours. Middlesex have just lost their 7th out of 9 championship matches having lost 7 out of 11 in the T20. Played 20 lost 14 does not read well for Mr Law's team. They also have an historic pension problem meaning they have little money to offer players hence Gubbins leaving this week. They also have no home ground and the plans to build one at Barnet on the old Saracens ground have collapsed.

Offline nat

Re: Middlesex
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2021, 04:43:17 PM »
Many on this board are quick to criticise Essex but spare a thought for our London neighbours. Middlesex have just lost their 7th out of 9 championship matches having lost 7 out of 11 in the T20. Played 20 lost 14 does not read well for Mr Law's team. They also have an historic pension problem meaning they have little money to offer players hence Gubbins leaving this week. They also have no home ground and the plans to build one at Barnet on the old Saracens ground have collapsed.

Yes could be worse. Historically we've had a long and close rivalry with Middx and in these uncertain times I'd be sad to see their demise. Given their location they should have a lot of well heeled backers.

Offline Crisp

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2021, 05:53:59 PM »
A good friend of mine is a Middlesex member and it seems that we have been talking to Max Holden about a move to Chelmsford, he believes that most of the squad are available as the money situation is so dire.

Offline Andy

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2021, 08:09:04 PM »
Are they still paying Compton and Edrich's pensions?

Offline nat

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2021, 08:27:37 PM »

They're not government/local government/USS you know.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2021, 08:33:13 AM »
A good friend of mine is a Middlesex member and it seems that we have been talking to Max Holden about a move to Chelmsford, he believes that most of the squad are available as the money situation is so dire.
This one seems plausible.  A guy who hasn't fulfilled his early potential, struggles to get regular first XI red ball cricket, and probably lives not too far away.  Even if his current contact lasts until 2023, 

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2021, 01:19:03 PM »
This one seems plausible.  A guy who hasn't fulfilled his early potential, struggles to get regular first XI red ball cricket, and probably lives not too far away.  Even if his current contact lasts until 2023,

Decent one day player which is what we are severely lacking. Would replace Chopra I presume. Not sure Buttleman is good enough.

Offline Andy

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2021, 03:16:20 PM »

They're not government/local government/USS you know.

I think you're a little out of date with the recent public sector pension policy changes...

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2021, 04:36:51 PM »
Just listened to Holden score a rapid 50 not out in yet another Middlesex defeat. He might be keen to join a team that wins the odd game. ;)