Author Topic: 2021 Team  (Read 17296 times)

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
Re: 2021 Team
« Reply #240 on: July 16, 2021, 06:52:18 PM »
it's been a very frustrating Summer for more than one reason!!

Once it was made clear Essex didn't want us around I pretty much gave them up as a bad job.

Consequently I've enjoyed all the cricket I've seen elsewhere.

Offline Heisenberg

« Reply #241 on: July 16, 2021, 11:54:46 PM »
We have been a poor white ball side for a while now. Ravi leaving was a blow and has never been replaced. Miss Delport in the T20 team. Ten Doeschate sadly looks like he will retire at the end of season. Harmer now counts as an overseas which has made us weaker. Not sure what the club see in Buttleman when we have Chopra still at the club.

Proud of the club’s recent success producing home grown players but surely the club has to look outside now to strengthen the white ball team.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: July 17, 2021, 08:29:09 AM »
 The players have the skills, but unfortunately ALL the batters in the top and middle order were always one knock away from a big innings and a return to form, with low returns subject to all.
 Let’s hope they do not replicate this form into the RL competition.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #243 on: July 17, 2021, 11:13:36 AM »
Not sure what the club see in Buttleman when we have Chopra still at the club.

Didn't pull up any trees against Kent's 2nd XI last night.

Sunday is looking the proverbial bald men fighting over a comb scenario.

Offline vim

« Reply #244 on: July 17, 2021, 11:32:27 AM »
There is something for Middlesex a win and a Glamorgan loss moves Middlesex off bottom place.

Offline Reddevil

« Reply #245 on: July 17, 2021, 12:43:00 PM »
There is nothing worse than watching a slow inevitable death by strangulation.

For periods of this game Essex held a slight advantage, restricting Hampshire to under 180 but a flurry of late runs and poor bowling cost Essex dear.

This was a rare chance for me to see Essex in the flesh as I live only five miles from The Ageas Ground.

Essex fielded  and caught very well, but the bowling attack lacked penetration on a good wicket against a a side bolstered by the return of Vince and Dawson.

Each made telling contributions.

Vince won a crucial toss electing to bat and with Short as his opening partner soon put
Essex on the back foot with a 69 run partnership, a position of strength they never relinquished.

Essex bowled either too short or too full.

I have seen Snater live, twice at The Ageas and neither time has he impressed me, bowling too short and over correcting wayward deliveries. I could detect no improvement.

His inclusion confirmed to me whilst the cupboard is not exactly empty, a good shop is overdue.

Ultimately Essex did well to curb Hampshire's late assault  by some good catches in the deep but once a side exceeds 160, they always remain favourites especially with Hampshire’s strong bowling line up.

Once Wheater had committed typical suicide in the opening over, Essex then flattered to deceive for a long time to seriously challenge Hampshire’s slightly under par total, through the excellent partnership between Westley and Lawrence.

They looked fully in control, rotating the strike well, interspersed with some choice boundaries and sixes.

I was even allowing myself to the impossible dream.

Any side that contains the luxury of a class leg spinner know they hold several aces and so it proved as the game changing moment arrived when Crane persuaded Westley to play down the wrong line, breaking the 85 run partnership and shattering my daydream, as the inevitable followed and at steady regular intervals the spin trio of Short,  Crane and Dawson  exposed our fragility and inexperienced batting. All too predictable.

As the runs dried up, our inability,  to hit boundaries and run rate soared, put such pressure on Lawrence that in trying to force the pace he edged to the keeper.

A good innings but once again not a decisive one.

A few lusty blows from Ryan an Harmer narrowed the gap but could not disguise the fact there was only one winner from a way out.

Put simply Hampshire out bowled us.

Where Essex go from here is difficult to know.

My knowledge of developing talent is limited. I was looking forward to seeing Pepper bat, but his attempted sweep spooning up the simplest of catches, followed quickly by Neesham, mistakenly promoted but ultimately embarrassed playing outside a good turning ball from Short merely hastened the end.

Much to ponder.

On a side note, does anyone know the process of how it was decided for Essex who had three times the distance to travel than Sussex just down the coast, to play the early match.

I stayed to see the Sussex match and it was noticeable to me that Hampshire’s quick bowlers did not look so threatening, and their turnaround was not too long. .

Maybe superior batting, but Hampshire still won, due to a typically elegant but powerful century from Vince. He was merciless on anything short.

At least Essex can’t now finish lower than 7th. Little consolation but more humble
pie for me as I predicted bottom two. 

Offline Niel01

« Reply #246 on: July 17, 2021, 01:20:33 PM »
It is Batsmen who win T20 matches and we only have one of our batsmen in the top 50 batting Averages for this Season and that is Dan Lawrence at No. 21. Two bowlers in the top 50 - Simon Harmer and Sam Cook. No sign of our Overseas "Star" Jimmy Neesham in either list. Our Team Selection often seems to be focused on "who shall we give a game to today ? " We don't seem to take T20 very seriously any more and I will probably miss out on buying any T20 Tickets next Season as I guess a few others will. Shame because brings a lot of money into the Club in a normal year.
Can't really complain though we have brilliant in Championship cricket up until this Season although suspect that dominance may be coming to an end for a while.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2021, 01:44:26 PM »
On a side note, does anyone know the process of how it was decided for Essex who had three times the distance to travel than Sussex just down the coast, to play the early match.

Although unknown, would suggest  that with a double bubble fixture, that the two local sides would play the later game hoping that more locals could attend a evening start time.

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2021, 03:00:05 PM »

Although unknown, would suggest  that with a double bubble fixture, that the two local sides would play the later game hoping that more locals could attend a evening start time.

Yes the rivals refer to Hamp/Sussex match as " El Classicoast "

Offline Mog

« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2021, 09:54:05 AM »
It is Batsmen who win T20 matches and we only have one of our batsmen in the top 50 batting Averages for this Season and that is Dan Lawrence at No. 21. Two bowlers in the top 50 - Simon Harmer and Sam Cook. No sign of our Overseas "Star" Jimmy Neesham in either list. Our Team Selection often seems to be focused on "who shall we give a game to today ? " We don't seem to take T20 very seriously any more and I will probably miss out on buying any T20 Tickets next Season as I guess a few others will. Shame because brings a lot of money into the Club in a normal year.
Can't really complain though we have brilliant in Championship cricket up until this Season although suspect that dominance may be coming to an end for a while.

Two aspects populate my thoughts here;
Firstly, Essex have been mediocre in the format for the vast majority of seasons since the T20 began. Tactically inept from the beginning (no surprise under Irani!), but then just bulldozed on with the same cement-headed tactics, despite them proving anything other than a success. This demonstrates to me that someone was pulling the strings behind the scenes....Grayson continuing that lineage as coach...again, no great shock!

Secondly, the Club have implicitly demonstrated their disdain for having to host spectators in any format of cricket this year, as those who are members and have been to or applied for tickets to matches have regularly reported on this forum. As No Change Essex have been unable to sell-out the most facility deficient county ground on the circuit, they magically lose their interest in T20 - a competition they prioritised for the first dozen or so years of its existence. Despite shouting down anyone who had the audacity to suggest otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 09:56:09 AM by Mog »

Offline Reddevil

« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2021, 10:31:33 AM »
Thank you guys for clarifying the play rationale between Essex and Sussex on Friday.

I have lived locally for forty four years and never been aware of the reference. El Classicoast.

Makes a lot of sense though.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2021, 10:45:14 AM »
Thank you guys for clarifying the play rationale between Essex and Sussex on Friday.

I have lived locally for forty four years and never been aware of the reference. El Classicoast.

Makes a lot of sense though.

On a different tangent, notice the Essex v Kent fixtures this season were referred to has,  “ The Battle of the Bridge.”

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #252 on: July 18, 2021, 11:27:31 AM »

On a different tangent, notice the Essex v Kent fixtures this season were referred to has,  “ The Battle of the Bridge.”

That's been in use for a while.

Ever since the Mike Denness trophy was established I think.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2021, 11:38:48 AM »
Never heard that phrase - lived in Hastings for 18 years and scorer for local League team and knew Sussex committee members. It must be a new 'thing' - my sister has never heard it either and she lives in Hampshire!

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #254 on: July 18, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »

That's been in use for a while.

Ever since the Mike Denness trophy was established I think.
Battle of the chavs is more appropriate.

Watch it - pot calling the kettle springs to mind - where is it you live now?  ;D