Author Topic: 2021 Team  (Read 17371 times)

Offline LeedsExile

Re: 2021 Team
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2021, 07:06:54 AM »
I've lost track. Has Beard played any first team cricket this season?

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2021, 08:13:44 AM »
 Groundhog day for the Eagles, simply again not enough runs . Got a decent base 103-3 off 12 overs, disappointing fell away in the middle order, despite what the optimistic commentator kept stating that the final total might be enough.
Just needed one bat to guide them through, Ravi.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2021, 09:39:24 AM »

I don't think he has. He was injured early in the season and hasn't shown much form for the 2nd XI. McGrath said he's been struggling with his line. That said, if he's match fit, I think he should play against Derbyshire ahead of Allison or Snater.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »

I don't think he has. He was injured early in the season and hasn't shown much form for the 2nd XI. McGrath said he's been struggling with his line. That said, if he's match fit, I think he should play against Derbyshire ahead of Allison or Snater.

Why?  Snater has bowled well in the County Championship this year.  He's been unlucky not to play more.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2021, 12:27:50 PM »
Why indeed ??? If I remember rightly, his 0-39 off 3,was very similar to his last “performance “.Walter was given just 1 over,which went for 4 runs. Why not play Snater—not particularly economical but at least he’d get a few wickets.

In Plom's last 2 games before this one he got 3/31 against Somerset and 2/16 against Glamorgan. Snater and Porter have both been expensive when they've played. Would Beard or Allison have been a better option? It seems Cook is the only seamer to have figured out T20.

We could have bowled Walter again, only went for 4 in his over

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »

Why?  Snater has bowled well in the County Championship this year.  He's been unlucky not to play more.

Yeah, I'm being unfair to him. I was remembering his performance against Worcs when he struggled, but then that was a flat pitch. He's got a lot better, and of course that 7 for.

Beard does offer more in the batting and I think he's a bit quicker and offers more on flat pitches, but that may be a case of not being in the first team making him a better player.

Offline vim

« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2021, 01:30:17 PM »
To qualify both games will require to be won and due to the run rate, won big. That is hoping the other teams lose all their games big, and a tie or no result will blow it.

As rivals are playing each other, it may be a mathematical impossibility. If Surrey get to 15 points they will then have to lose by a huge number of runs or in a few overs for the run rate to swop round.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #232 on: July 16, 2021, 12:58:04 PM »
Team for the Hants game. 2PM start.
Wheater, Westley, Pepper, Lawrence, Neesham, Tendo, Walter, Harmer, Nijjar, Snater, Cook

Hampshire won the toss and will bat first.

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #233 on: July 16, 2021, 03:43:31 PM »
Another PATHETIC batting display (apart from Lawrence again!). Neesham continues to be a huge disappointment, bordering on a complete failure now, and just WHAT does Walter bring to the team to be automatically picked EVERY match?!!
Let’s hope the increasingly out of control Covid virus, DOES stop the One Day Cup 50 over competition, to save the club from even more embarrassment.

Offline dazedpenguin

« Reply #234 on: July 16, 2021, 03:57:18 PM »
Westley batted well too. But I can only remember one contribution from Neesham all tournament. Very disappointing.

I'm actually looking forward to the 50 overs (well, more than the 16.4).

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: July 16, 2021, 04:07:47 PM »
 Well it is Grand Prix weekend, not even one wheel on our wagon come the. Had our fastest lap at Taunton and steady spluttered from then on in .
It’s a team game, alas not enough members making significant contributions . Back of the pack cricket.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #236 on: July 16, 2021, 04:12:25 PM »
Another PATHETIC batting display (apart from Lawrence again!). Neesham continues to be a huge disappointment, bordering on a complete failure now, and just WHAT does Walter bring to the team to be automatically picked EVERY match?!!
Let’s hope the increasingly out of control Covid virus, DOES stop the One Day Cup 50 over competition, to save the club from even more embarrassment.

Yes, let’s hope the Essex members, who have barely seen any live cricket for two years, are denied the chance of seeing some live cricket this season.  That line is more PATHETIC than any Essex performance.

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #237 on: July 16, 2021, 04:21:13 PM »

Yes, let’s hope the Essex members, who have barely seen any live cricket for two years, are denied the chance of seeing some live cricket this season.  That line is more PATHETIC than any Essex performance.

Fair point, that was a selfish point of view as a non member, comment. Just fed up with witnessing all these dreadfully poor Essex white ball batting performances and dont want to endure any more this season!

Oh and before you come back with another "smart" comment, people ARE allowed to be Essex followers even if they aren't members!

Offline JasonP

« Reply #238 on: July 16, 2021, 04:32:27 PM »

Fair point, that was a selfish point of view as a non member, comment. Just fed up with witnessing all these dreadfully poor Essex white ball batting performances and dont want to endure any more this season!

Oh and before you come back with another "smart" comment, people ARE allowed to be Essex followers even if they aren't members!

Ok!  I know it probably was meant literally but To be honest the comment just pissed me off a little bit!  Now we have actually got some decent weather it really does annoy me that there’s barely any cricket to watch this year and what we do have is unlikely to be of much consequence.  I do hope to see some cricket this year but I’ll still believe it when it happens!

I know plenty of people who follow Essex and aren’t members so no smart comments here!

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #239 on: July 16, 2021, 04:52:18 PM »

Ok!  I know it probably was meant literally but To be honest the comment just pissed me off a little bit!  Now we have actually got some decent weather it really does annoy me that there’s barely any cricket to watch this year and what we do have is unlikely to be of much consequence.  I do hope to see some cricket this year but I’ll still believe it when it happens!

I know plenty of people who follow Essex and aren’t members so no smart comments here!

Yup, fair comment, it's been a very frustrating Summer for more than one reason!!
It was a heat of the moment throw away comment after yet another ridiculously useless batting performance from basically the usual "undroppable, due to no alternatives!!", suspects!