Author Topic: 2021 Team  (Read 17298 times)

Offline dazedpenguin

Re: 2021 Team
« Reply #165 on: June 24, 2021, 08:15:09 PM »
Phew. That was fun. They almost threw it away after Pepper and Lawrence played so well. Neesham should have been there at the end, but a win's a win. Great for their confidence.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2021, 08:19:25 PM »
 Like to say we held are nerve. We held are nerve !

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2021, 08:36:56 PM »
It wouldn't be Essex if we didn't try to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory ...

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2021, 09:59:42 PM »
Don’t know whether to say “well done” or “phew, we were VERY VERY lucky there!”

Brilliant match for the neutral but I really thought we had thrown away an unloseable position (16 runs off two over with SEVEN wickets left!!)
Neesham continues to disappoint :( Can’t be trusted to bowl more than the occasional over each match and his batting has been very disappointing too. You would have expected an experienced international player to have seen the team home without ANY worries from the position we were in with two overs left.
Anyway, two on the trot now, eh?!!...who’d have thought it?

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2021, 10:41:57 PM »
Neesham is a bottlejob unfortunately. Does well on paper, but ultimately never finishes the job. I maintain that we need better from an overseas player.

Can someone explain to me what Paul Walter brings to the team? He doesn't bring runs, unless it's from the opposition bat whilst he's bowling. Yet he's seemingly bulletproof from getting dropped, it baffles me. Has he ever actually won us a match in limited overs cricket?

Offline JasonP

« Reply #170 on: June 24, 2021, 11:19:47 PM »
Neesham is a bottlejob unfortunately. Does well on paper, but ultimately never finishes the job. I maintain that we need better from an overseas player.

Can someone explain to me what Paul Walter brings to the team? He doesn't bring runs, unless it's from the opposition bat whilst he's bowling. Yet he's seemingly bulletproof from getting dropped, it baffles me. Has he ever actually won us a match in limited overs cricket?

He offers more than tendo does these days , sadly.  If neither of them play then who else does?   You have to pick 11.  I think the side that has been picked the last couple of games is our best side.  More balance to it.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2021, 12:27:28 AM »

He offers more than tendo does these days , sadly.  If neither of them play then who else does?   You have to pick 11.  I think the side that has been picked the last couple of games is our best side.  More balance to it.
No chance he offers more, Tendo is arguably the best fielder in the side, which counts for a lot in T20, plus he doesn't bowl and cost us 10 runs an over at the bare minimum like Walter does. I used to think Walter was a good fielder, now everytime I watch him he slips on our arse trying to pick up a ball. Khushi would be more useful in this format.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2021, 06:22:59 AM »
My worry when we signed Neesham was that we are trying to cover all bases (Batting and Bowling), without actually doing either.  I expect my OS player to have maximum impact in games.  Bowling his full quota or batting high up.  Im not a fan of signing bits and pieces players for my OS, I think we need an either/or.  Guaranteed runs or wickets (if there is such a thing).  Amir for example, you knew he would do the job every game.  I would have liked us to get Philips, the kiwi.  Played a bot of T20 and will get plenty of runs for Gloucs batting in the top 3/4.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2021, 07:31:45 AM »
Pepper seems to be emerging as a real player of promise. Perhaps some of the answers to our batting problems are close to home?

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2021, 08:05:43 AM »
Pepper seems to be emerging as a real player of promise. Perhaps some of the answers to our batting problems are close to home?

Looking at out batting, I think we need a few more though!!

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2021, 10:03:11 AM »

Looking at out batting, I think we need a few more though!!

Did wonder if Eskinazi was giving an audition?

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2021, 10:58:57 AM »
 Can we win three in a row ? Rather stumbled  are way to victory, tried our best to lose it after initial setting up .
Got a flash back of Hardie running ball down to the the boundary after Hemings ….. last night !!!

Offline Reddevil

« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2021, 11:35:15 AM »
A win by the narrowest of margins, which we appears to have tried our hardest to lose.

Hardly confidence boosting.

Still so many cracks to fill but I liked the comment about Pepper beginning to emerge as one to watch.

Maybe fresh shoots of talent are emerging, and we are witnessing our lowest of low point, from which the only way is up.

I know Westley has had a poor recent run, but he wasn’t playing last night I notice.

Any news on him? He is still a good player. Form is temporary class is permanent. A cliche yes but a truism also.

I hope we see him in the runs again soon.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2021, 01:43:34 PM »

No chance he offers more, Tendo is arguably the best fielder in the side, which counts for a lot in T20, plus he doesn't bowl and cost us 10 runs an over at the bare minimum like Walter does. I used to think Walter was a good fielder, now everytime I watch him he slips on our arse trying to pick up a ball. Khushi would be more useful in this format.

Walter only bowls as pretty much a last resort.  If he's bowling then it's because we're struggling.  He's only bowled 5 overs and 2 were at Canterbury when he bowled 2 overs for 21 which was under the rate the others bowled at.  I'm not sure whether it's a confidence thing or not but he really should be better than he is.  He's the 7th bowler in the pecking order so it shouldnt be too relevant.
He has played a couple of decent innings 45 from 30 balls at Taunton and 29 from 19 against Hampshire.  tendos innings this season are 26(21 balls), 3(12 balls), 11(14 balls), 1(2 balls) and 0(1 ball).  I still think they both should play as this is the best side we can put out.  We are short of good T20 players, there's no doubt about that. Khushi is not really suited to T20.  Walter is also a left hander (one of only 2 in the top 8 ) which is useful in T20s as a lot of T20 matches are played on the edge of the square and so you get a short boundary on one side to attack.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2021, 02:19:39 PM »
A win by the narrowest of margins, which we appears to have tried our hardest to lose.

Hardly confidence boosting.

Still so many cracks to fill but I liked the comment about Pepper beginning to emerge as one to watch.

Maybe fresh shoots of talent are emerging, and we are witnessing our lowest of low point, from which the only way is up.

I know Westley has had a poor recent run, but he wasn’t playing last night I notice.

Any news on him? He is still a good player. Form is temporary class is permanent. A cliche yes but a truism also.

I hope we see him in the runs again soon.

I don't think Westley has played all week ...