Author Topic: 2021 Team  (Read 17309 times)

Offline ytsejam1

Re: 2021 Team
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2021, 09:06:05 PM »
Well, if the Glamorgan "effort" was "embarrassingly rubbish" then I don't even know where to begin to describe THAT tonight!

The best way I can think to describe it is to think back 20 years to the Nat West trophy first round when a minor counties side would play a first class county and remember the gulf in class between the two sides!

I think we all knew that we would be poor in this T20 competition, but I don't think many thought we would be so utterly and completely atrocious, arguably the worst T20 side ever that Essex have had.

Offline nat

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2021, 09:16:36 PM »

I think we all knew that we would be poor in this T20 competition, but I don't think many thought we would be so utterly and completely atrocious, arguably the worst T20 side ever that Essex have had.

I did.

Offline ytsejam1

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2021, 09:23:33 PM »

I did.

I never thought we would be quite THIS abysmal!!....its embarrassing. Luckily SKY haven't shown us yet!!

Offline golden duck

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2021, 10:00:14 PM »
Sussex were very good.

We were awful but I think we should stick with youngsters like Plom and Buttleman to build for the future. Biggest disappointment for me was the lack of team spirit...so quiet out there.

First time back for me, it was ok but all a bit soulless. Turn up, watch the game, go home. I'll go again but it is neither a T20 experience or an ECCC experience, didn't really feel like the club was open for business at all.

Offline nat

« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2021, 04:43:58 AM »
Sussex were very good.

We were awful but I think we should stick with youngsters like Plom and Buttleman to build for the future. Biggest disappointment for me was the lack of team spirit...so quiet out there.

First time back for me, it was ok but all a bit soulless. Turn up, watch the game, go home. I'll go again but it is neither a T20 experience or an ECCC experience, didn't really feel like the club was open for business at all.
Very sad.

Offline vim

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2021, 05:57:21 AM »
On the on line commentary, Nick Browne trying to be optimistic was saying if Sussex lose a couple of wickets it will be like taking bricks out of wall. It reminded me of the very early BBC Essex coverage which started rather late on Sundays. Peter Edwards was the summariser and as Essex were heading towards another defeat he was scanning his extensive memory bank to find a similar situation where Essex had pulled it off.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2021, 09:09:42 AM »
Sussex are very good and are clearly geared up for T20 cricket.  I suspected a battering beforehand and was proven right. I haven't been to a T20 at Chelmsford for a while. Topley was playing for us then and Wheater hadn't left for Hants and my 19 year old was still at primary school. There wasn't any real atmosphere, in fact I was sitting near a Sussex fan who made more noise than anyone else. That contrasted sharply with my previous visit, when I decided Saturday tea time at Chelmsford wasn't great for my son.I thought £19 for a member's ticket was a bit steep too but fancied the evening out. So I'm glad I went but doubt I shall repeat it. I  wonder how many fans with tickets for games that will now be socially distanced are hoping for refunds?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:13:07 AM by Slogger »

Offline Mog

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »
Watching Essex currently is not so much a question of whether they will win, as to the margin of defeat.

Once again tonight our batsman unable to dominate, admittedly a strong bowling side, strong side full stop, but the rate of scoring is never going to trouble our opponents.

As other board members have commented where was Lawrence tonight?

Is he injured if so the least the Club can do is tell us? There seems to be a worrying pattern of non transparency. Surely supporters should me made aware of selection issues caused by injuries.

If there are personality clashes, at the expense of team unity and morale, we can kiss goodby to any meaningful success in any format, for some time, based on our current performances.

Judging tonight’s performance Essex should be knocking hard on Boycott’s door, pleading with him to sort out what laughably are referred to as batsmen. Insult to the term.

I can’t even bring myself to keep checking the score. Too depressing.

I know how resilient we have been, but that seems a quality unrecognisable in this side.

If we somehow win this game, it will have been through superlative performances from our bowlers and a case of supreme over confidence by Sussex.

Reading this, it could have been written in the early days of T20 - Twenty-20 (circa 2003-4) as it was themed.
Where under the clueless Irani, Essex made the same mistakes endlessly, tactically and selection wise, not least of which was Irani picking his mates to play, in spite of better, younger...and much fitter players being left out to accommodate them. I'm sure those of you who can recall such classics as a nine wicket defeat at home to Sussex, where the Sharks knocked off No Change Essex's meagre score in about 11 overs.....or a particularly savage thrashing against Middx. at Southgate.

As for the Club's 'communication' policy and accompanying utter disregard for members, with an arrogance that makes them believe that they need explain nothing that doesn't suit their agenda.....that's been around even longer!

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 09:53:40 AM by Mog »

Offline vim

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2021, 10:09:48 AM »
I attended the 9 wicket defeat to Sussex when it was free to members. I had to stand at the back of the Tom Pearce stand, not that it was an issue for a T20 game. Next to me was a drunk Australian who was a Sussex fan. During the Sussex innings he was telling me when Murray Goodwin gets in he is world class and similar. With the 9 wicket defeat I never got to see if he was right.

Again I did not recognise anyone in the crowd. One area had less than 10 people in a large number of seats.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2021, 10:30:47 AM »
With respect to those attending I suspect that members who don't normally attend T20 put in for these games in the ballot just to get some cricket in. I didn't do that myself as I'm not a great fan of the format but did take up a surplus ticket on Monday when the extra 200 were released. Having just retired a midweek floodlit game is now doable. I recognised quite a few members who are always present at championship matches last night, so maybe that's what has happened?

Offline afinetickletoleg

« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2021, 11:08:42 AM »
We haven’t had an even half decent t20 side since Grayson left.  We’ve won 3 home matches since the start of 2018.

VP will have a cardiac reading that 🤣

Offline Andy

« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2021, 11:13:09 AM »
Sounds like things have returned to normal on and off the pitch. Unfortunately. 

Has Big Ronnie stepped back from the club? Seemingly he had helped kick a few things into gear in 2016. 

Offline nat

« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2021, 11:50:37 AM »
Sounds like things have returned to normal on and off the pitch. Unfortunately. 

Has Big Ronnie stepped back from the club? Seemingly he had helped kick a few things into gear in 2016.

I get the feeling that the club has stopped as much spending as much money as possible and are prepared to take the hit on team performance. The chairman (rightly or wrongly) sees it as a fight for survival and wants to ensure the club still exists in the years to come.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2021, 12:15:20 PM »
 The boys still to learn, without scores on doors, you go nowhere quickly.
 Thank God and praise be to the cash cow competition ( 16.4), has extra money flows through the door we could only ever dreamed of, which we are now more ever reliant.
 Ideally the Olympic Stadium would have catered for T20 Eagles cricket, and Chelmsford for all other.
 Alas hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Offline vim

« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2021, 12:43:32 PM »
It was established that the Olympic stadium is unsuitable for Cricket unless major changes are made.

Baseball has been played at the Olympic stadium. However there were comments that areas were not completely ideal as what would be expected.