Author Topic: 2021 Team  (Read 17090 times)

Offline ytsejam1

Re: 2021 Team
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2021, 04:18:34 PM »
EMBARRASSINGLY RUBBISH!!! ('nuff said)

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2021, 04:24:17 PM »
Defeat by 7 wickets with about 2 overs to spare. Not really unexpected given the inexperience of the team and I thought Buttleman, Pepper and Khushi did ok. If Westley or Neesham don't get runs then Essex are always going to struggle. Lawrence in for Khushi will improve things, but I don't see this team getting to finals day.
Forget finals day, we'll do well not to finish rock bottom of the group.

I came across this preview of the Blast and Essex from this random fan and had to share. I couldn't believe how accurately he nailed all our problems. Everything he predicted has come true as well. It's also amusing how his stats and data show that we were the worst side in years to ever make it to the knockouts in 2019. Of course the three people that dragged us through singlehandedly (Amir, Bopara, Zampa) are all no longer here so it's no surprise how much of a joke we are now.

https://harryl14.medium.com/t20-blast-preview-south-group-44f5032b7779

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »
Defeat by 7 wickets with about 2 overs to spare. Not really unexpected given the inexperience of the team and I thought Buttleman, Pepper and Khushi did ok. If Westley or Neesham don't get runs then Essex are always going to struggle. Lawrence in for Khushi will improve things, but I don't see this team getting to finals day.
Forget finals day, we'll do well not to finish rock bottom of the group.

I came across this preview of the Blast and Essex from this random fan and had to share. I couldn't believe how accurately he nailed all our problems. Everything he predicted has come true as well. It's also amusing how his stats and data show that we were the worst side in years to ever make it to the knockouts in 2019. Of course the three people that dragged us through singlehandedly (Amir, Bopara, Zampa) are all no longer here so it's no surprise how much of a joke we are now.

https://harryl14.medium.com/t20-blast-preview-south-group-44f5032b7779

Does not require a spreadsheet to work that out !

Offline essexspur

« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2021, 06:06:50 PM »
The team is all wrong and is a complete mystery. Chopra is contracted so why isn’t he playing especially as he is explosive at the top of the order? We are going into every game one batsmen short with 7 bowlers doing bits and pieces and still Westley and Tendo if required. Harmer is not helping by making strange bowling decisions with Cook not finishing his spell; Neesham only bowling 1 etc. I love Jamie Porter but he is not a great one day bowling and cannot hit the ball off the square. Even a number 11 needs to be able to bat in T20 or at least swing the bat. Why not go with Chopra, Wheater, Westley, Walter, Neesham, Tendo, Pepper, Harper, Nijjar, Plom, Cook. We haven’t got an Amir so need to go with clever bowlers. Quinn should come into contention as well. Once Lawrence is back he could come in for Nijjar and suddenly the batting looks decent. Right now I can’t see us getting out of the group sadly although with Chopra playing we may well have won all 3.

Offline Perov

« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2021, 06:49:27 PM »
I love the way that by not playing,  Chopra has become a match winning T20  batsman.
His performances in recent years have been mediocre at best, and comparing Essex stats, Sir Alistair has a higher T20 batting average and higher strike rate , than Chopra.

We need reliable batting but is Chopra really the answer?

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2021, 06:54:28 PM »
 Attendance for Sussex and Gloucestershire games now increased to 800.

Offline vim

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2021, 07:07:40 AM »
If away fans are not attending will 800 wish to watch this poop live?

In the past, when a season was not going well. It was noticeable how empty the Colchester festival which we were told was the home of Essex til I die was.

Offline stewyww

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2021, 07:15:47 AM »
Attendance for Sussex and Gloucestershire games now increased to 800.
Oh what a surprise. Don't tell me, back to 200 for the remaining 2 championship games?

Offline Can the Can

• Absolutely plumb?
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2021, 09:23:55 AM »
I would estimate around 300 maximum attended the first home game.

Tuesday evening might see a slight increase on that as the tickets are available to ALL members online from 1pm today; Friday evening England play Scotland in the Euros which will not assist ticket sales at all, maybe 500 to 600 maximum?

Also why do Harmer and Chopra not get along?
That surely has to be the only reason Chopra is not opening.

Online honkytonk

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »
I love the way that by not playing,  Chopra has become a match winning T20  batsman.
His performances in recent years have been mediocre at best, and comparing Essex stats, Sir Alistair has a higher T20 batting average and higher strike rate , than Chopra.

We need reliable batting but is Chopra really the answer?

Agree.  Others being rubbish does not make him a world beater!!

Offline nat

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2021, 12:00:46 PM »

Tuesday evening might see a slight increase on that as the tickets are available to ALL members online from 1pm today; Friday evening England play Scotland in the Euros which will not assist ticket sales at all, maybe 500 to 600 maximum?

Also why do Harmer and Chopra not get along?
That surely has to be the only reason Chopra is not opening.
I suspect SH has strong views on certain things. As does VC.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2021, 01:43:10 PM »

I would love to know why I, as a member, had to read about this on the forum rather than being told by the club!

Offline Slogger

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2021, 01:48:29 PM »
To be fair I received an e mail about the increased capacity yesterday, saw it on twitter and it is on the website. I decided to give tomorrow a whirl. I'm officially retired tomorrow so thought, in the words of Jeff Thomson, Buģger it, let's give it a go!

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2021, 02:47:55 PM »

I would love to know why I, as a member, had to read about this on the forum rather than being told by the club!

I got an e-mail and it was also on the website :)

Offline JasonP

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2021, 03:37:13 PM »

I got an e-mail and it was also on the website :)

I missed it until today.  It was part of the Glamorgan match pack, which I usually ignore.