Author Topic: Dan Lawrence is out of his depth?!  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Andy

Dan Lawrence is out of his depth?!
« on: August 06, 2021, 10:08:46 AM »
Although I too have my doubts, Vaughan’s latest bilge reminds me just why I don’t care for that ‘expert’ commentator.

Offline oldhasbeen

Re: Dan Lawrence is out of his depth?!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 10:26:42 AM »
Ditto. Great players or captains don't necessarily make half-decent pundits. Vaughan particularly disappoints me, as he's clearly an intelligent man but he seems to seek headlines rather than offer serious analysis.

Online nat

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 10:55:00 AM »
Don't like MV but it's the oldest trick in the book...tell someone they're useless and then see how they react...hopefully proving the statement wrong.

Offline Andy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 01:32:23 PM »
Don't like MV but it's the oldest trick in the book...tell someone they're useless and then see how they react...hopefully proving the statement wrong.
Then if they do, take the credit. Nasty little man Vaughan. Remember him crying because he could not handle the England job: perhaps he ought to cut the 'less talented' sime slack.

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 08:41:27 PM »
When Dan goes out to bat in the second innings, he needs to show more self discipline. Perhaps treat it like his first knock of the season. Dom Sibley even allowing for him being an opener, his runs per balls received is too slow and therefore puts more pressure on his team mates.

Online nat

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2021, 08:48:56 PM »
If I were guiding DL I'd suggest doing a 'Gooch' and asking to open the batting for Essex and then hopefully for England. There's a lot of opportunity and it would help improve his game discipline.

Offline afinetickletoleg

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2021, 09:06:27 PM »
When Dan goes out to bat in the second innings, he needs to show more self discipline. Perhaps treat it like his first knock of the season. Dom Sibley even allowing for him being an opener, his runs per balls received is too slow and therefore puts more pressure on his team mates.

Runs per ball?  Too slow??  We are talking about a 5 day Test not a T20.
We can’t worry about him wasting time when we can’t bat through a day.

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2021, 09:32:48 PM »

Runs per ball?  Too slow??  We are talking about a 5 day Test not a T20.
We can’t worry about him wasting time when we can’t bat through a day.

Test cricket rarely lasts five days as countries on the back foot in matches tend to throw in the towel, rather then go for a draw. Your right its not T20, but batsman should be striking around 1 run for every 3 balls faced these days as test cricket has quickened up.  If the top order is too slow at the start, even if the batsman stay in for a while. The middle order might think they have to pick up the pace, risk their wickets and are likely to a collapse.

Offline Andy

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2021, 10:11:19 PM »
If I were guiding DL I'd suggest doing a 'Gooch' and asking to open the batting for Essex and then hopefully for England. There's a lot of opportunity and it would help improve his game discipline.

A good idea. Whether it would work...

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 03:29:02 PM »
I feel sorry for Dan because every single innings he's played for England so far, he's done it knowing that he's the first one out the team if he doesn't make a score, although others get chance after chance. Sure he has faults and is far from perfect, but no one outside of Root has more runs than him this calendar year and three half centuries against three different countries. Was robbed of a century against New Zealand because Broad and Anderson couldn't be bothered even trying to dig in for him.

If Silverwood truly believes in him, he should pull him aside and tell he has the whole series no matter what. I bet we'd then see a far less nervous and more comfortable Lawrence at the crease than one who looks like a walking wicket for his first 20 odd balls. Instead he's going to go back to Moeen, stick with Bairstow and once again those same players will oversee another Ashes hammering if it goes ahead this winter.

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 07:01:06 PM »
I feel sorry for Dan because every single innings he's played for England so far, he's done it knowing that he's the first one out the team if he doesn't make a score, although others get chance after chance. Sure he has faults and is far from perfect, but no one outside of Root has more runs than him this calendar year and three half centuries against three different countries. Was robbed of a century against New Zealand because Broad and Anderson couldn't be bothered even trying to dig in for him.

If Silverwood truly believes in him, he should pull him aside and tell he has the whole series no matter what. I bet we'd then see a far less nervous and more comfortable Lawrence at the crease than one who looks like a walking wicket for his first 20 odd balls. Instead he's going to go back to Moeen, stick with Bairstow and once again those same players will oversee another Ashes hammering if it goes ahead this winter.

I think players who are contracted to T.M.G. counties are afforded a bit more opportunity then those that are not.  Those that do make it from non T.M.G. counties tend to be exceptionally good.