Author Topic: Spectators  (Read 1952 times)

Offline brazilianglen

Spectators
« on: May 16, 2021, 05:32:30 PM »
Sussex have recently announced all 2nd xi cricket continues to be behind closed doors ufn. Meanwhile I have reporters going to LSE New Malden this week on the expectation (see posting by CRISP
 on ballot thread) that it will be open to the public

Offline brazilianglen

Re: Spectators
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 07:33:28 AM »
Surrey must have had a rethink. They stated on their website yesterday that no spectators will be allowed at LSE New Malden this week

Offline Crisp

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 08:14:26 AM »
Brazilianglen, as you will see from my private message, on Friday this was open to the public and confirmed by Surrey CCC.

I spoke to a Surrey employee this morning and they claim that the ECB enforced the change yesterday and it would remain behind closed doors until they saw fit to allow the public to watch 2nd eleven cricket.

The irony is that i could have attended any Shepherd and Neame Essex league game on Saturday and seen Essex 2nd team players in action.

If you attend you will see players from both sides mixing with the public and there families.

The whole decision makes no sense whatsoever especially as we have met the criteria for hugging and going to the pubs.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 11:26:46 AM »
It's insane that, for example I can go and watch Coggeshall Town cricket club playing League matches at home, and buy a beer or two while I'm doing it, but the II's can't come. The Festival could even be managed with social distancing, although the beer tent can get a bit full when it's raining!

Offline nat

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 05:23:47 PM »
I'm reliably informed that today's 4 day game vs Middx at Billericay was washed out due to poor pitch covering. Can anyone expand on this? Symptomatic of a lack of investment?

Offline brazilianglen

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 09:57:31 AM »
It says match abandoned on NV cricket!

Offline brazilianglen

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 08:23:40 PM »
A friend has been advised by Essex that spectators can resume watching Second Xi on 16 August whereas other Counties have advised my friend that behind closed doors remains for the rest of the season.

I am waiting to see something official from Essex - anybody spotted anything?

Offline Perov

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 07:02:17 PM »
I attended Chelmsford today and asked about attending  the seconds next week at Billericay.
They went away for advice and the eventual answer was that, sorry but spectators can not attend.
With with the only facilities (ie toilets etc ) available  for the players,  there is no provision for spectators,  and whilst covid precautions are still in place,  Billericay must remain spectator free.
So that was the official answer.

Offline nat

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »
Belatedly the club have put the 'no spectators' comment on their twitter feed.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2021, 07:03:52 AM »
I attended Chelmsford today and asked about attending  the seconds next week at Billericay.
They went away for advice and the eventual answer was that, sorry but spectators can not attend.
With with the only facilities (ie toilets etc ) available  for the players,  there is no provision for spectators,  and whilst covid precautions are still in place,  Billericay must remain spectator free.
So that was the official answer.
Piss poor, Essex!
Stick up a tent with some tin buckets in it, like back in the 70s.

Offline Perov

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2021, 08:04:37 AM »
They had 3 portaloos at the Hayes Close end, which will not see any action until September.
Moving two of those to Billericay would have been cheaper than employing a security guard  for 4 days.

Offline nat

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2021, 08:56:09 AM »
All too symptomatic of the club. Too much bother to cater for a few supporters/members so easier to not allow them in. Club games and even minor county games are welcoming spectators to matches with the bar open!

The club needs a major reset of its treatment of spectators/members. JF makes all the right noises but the implementation by staff is lacking.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2021, 09:23:03 AM »
Suffolk are playing Staffs at Copdock soon. Spectators not allowed in the pavilion, bring your own chair, there is an outside bar and catering and separate toilets. I attended Suffolk v Herts during stage 3 at Sudbury and they did table service for drinks along with keeping players away from spectators, separate toilets etc. Coggeshall or Halstead, given the chance, would have managed all of that.

Offline Shenfield Eagle

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2021, 03:56:56 PM »
Billericay CC have a public footpath running across the ground, between the two pitches. Not sure how they can stop you walking across the ground and very close to the playing area and players. Be interested in seeing the reaction of the security if we exercised our legal right to use the path!!!

Offline Cricketmad

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 05:16:15 PM »
Think you will find that the footpath has officially been re routed around the ground. Don’t forget, another example of Essex doing everything possible to keep you away !!