Author Topic: Australia vs India  (Read 3061 times)

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
Re: Australia vs India
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 11:12:47 AM »
He's only 'shocked and disappointed' because he was found out.

Lynda

Spot on!

Offline Slogger

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 11:49:19 AM »
I heard on local radio a few years back that many of the first emigrants were from Canvey/South Essex. So the Aussie drawl is partly based on the old style twangy Essex accent according to the chap on the radio.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 11:51:41 AM »
 Surprised that most quotes from players  in the media did not condone it. Suppose every batsman after a break or bowling changed is coached to take a new guard anyway.
Green baggies back to their previous habits, well just cannot take the Aussie out of Australians, and the gravel out of Sky presenters pockets.

Offline nat

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 12:39:19 PM »
I heard on local radio a few years back that many of the first emigrants were from Canvey/South Essex. So the Aussie drawl is partly based on the old style twangy Essex accent according to the chap on the radio.
Well Newgate prison must have had many residents from Sarf Essex so it makes sense.

Offline Andy

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 01:39:05 PM »
Well Newgate prison must have had many residents from Sarf Essex so it makes sense.

I think it's north Essex Suffolk rather than south Essex. I made a mistake in asking a professor based in Canada as to which Antipodean city he came fro.m...it was Ipswich Suffolk!

Offline Postman

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2021, 11:11:08 AM »
One of the few benefits of having to get up in the early hours to answer nature's call, common at my age, is that you can keep an eye on cricket abroad. This morning I was able to see the last 20 odd overs of Australia v India on BT and what a performance it was by a very makeshift Indian team, with a reserve attack and no Kohli. Worth the £25 for a month's Sport Pass on its own. I'd be surprised if Root's team get much change out of them in India next month.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2021, 11:27:26 AM »
I had written India off after the 36 all out but they have shown remarkable resilience losing their captain and numerous players to injury during the series. It is a great result for Test cricket and it's future.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 03:02:33 PM »
I had written India off after the 36 all out but they have shown remarkable resilience losing their captain and numerous players to injury during the series. It is a great result for Test cricket and it's future.

Captaincy wise, Im not too sure it was a handicap losing Kohli.

Offline Andy

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2021, 03:12:13 PM »

Yes. Half the problem with Indian cricket is they pick on caste rather than ability.

Offline nat

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2021, 03:13:27 PM »

When you've got Payne as oppo captain and WK you've always got a chance!

Offline Slogger

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2021, 04:34:48 PM »

I think it's north Essex Suffolk rather than south Essex. I made a mistake in asking a professor based in Canada as to which Antipodean city he came fro.m...it was Ipswich Suffolk!

Maybe Andy. I'm from Castle Hedingham so have that twangy accent myself but now live in the south of the county. I've come across a few people who have the old Essex accent hereabouts but most speak estuary or East End cockney. My late Dad's boss was from Braintree. He was accused of being an Australian in a pub in Bishops Stortford! He then went on holiday to Cornwall and was accused of being a cockney! My Dad wasn't too sure which incident upset his boss the most!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:52:00 AM by firehazard »

Offline Andy

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2021, 04:51:59 PM »
Slogger. My mother and her family come from the Hedingham's and she used to be accused of being an Aussies (which I notice now having been up here for years).

Even before the overspill came from the East end Essex had a variety of accents.

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2021, 08:32:08 PM »
One of the few benefits of having to get up in the early hours to answer nature's call, common at my age, is that you can keep an eye on cricket abroad. This morning I was able to see the last 20 odd overs of Australia v India on BT and what a performance it was by a very makeshift Indian team, with a reserve attack and no Kohli. Worth the £25 for a month's Sport Pass on its own. I'd be surprised if Root's team get much change out of them in India next month.

It would be a surprise if England win or draw next month's series. However India have got a bit to live up too now and it could be a case of after the Lord mayors show for them ?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:52:30 AM by firehazard »

Offline Andy

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2021, 12:05:39 PM »
The big question is whether the pressure of playing at home, and after such a wonderful (but maybe slightly lucky)  win -  plus the missing big name players will be concerned about their position in the team -  will cause the team to fall apart.

It used to be the case that Indian national sides suffered from two things: lack of familiarity with overseas conditions and internal politics. The IPL has addressed the former, but the latter still remains.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2021, 06:56:42 PM »
No doubt Kohli will come back in but will he be restored as Captain, maybe he shouldn't be as India did brilliantly without him, but I bet he will.