Author Topic: Re: Counties /Grounds  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Perov

Re: Counties /Grounds
« on: November 21, 2020, 11:23:30 AM »
Whatever you think of Warwickshire, I will always be grateful to them for helping Essex financially  all those years ago,  when we were on our uppers.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 01:00:01 PM by bwildered »

Offline Andy

Re: Re: Rishi Patel
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 11:43:03 AM »
Whatever you think of Warwickshire, I will always be grateful to them for helping Essex financially  all those years ago,  when we were on our uppers.

Yes, a deal brokered by Trevor Bailey.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 06:32:06 PM »
It was before my time watching Essex, but I  recall hearing that they lent us a  sizeable amount, interest free, to set up Chelmsford as a permeant home

Even in the early 70s I heard old, and not-so-old, Essex supporter reminisce about playing matches at Romford, Brentwood, Clacton and lord know where else.

Offline paulcm

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 01:42:16 PM »
I’m not and wouldn’t want to be a Lord but I’m fairly old now and have seen top level cricket matches at sixteen different grounds in Essex.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 02:33:39 PM »
I’m not and wouldn’t want to be a Lord but I’m fairly old now and have seen top level cricket matches at sixteen different grounds in Essex.
Sixteen! Impressive! Now that's a challenge.  I can only think of 12 I've heard of Essex playing at (7 of which I've seen games at):

Chelmsford
Southend - Southchurch Park
Southend - Garons
Southend - Westcliffe (my personal favourite in my youth)
Colchester
Leyton
Valentine's Park, Ilford
Harlow
Brentwood
Romford
Clacton
Purfleet (I think - was there a one-day game there once?)

... so where are the other 4?

Offline Slogger

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 02:55:38 PM »
Sixteen! Impressive! Now that's a challenge.  I can only think of 12 I've heard of Essex playing at (7 of which I've seen games at):

Chelmsford
Southend - Garons
Colchester
Leyton
Valentine's Park, Ilford
Harlow
Brentwood
Romford
Clacton

There were some early Sunday league games at Purfleet. I think one may have been televised. I can think of three more for the list. Colchester Garrison ground is the one used most and I think Basildon and Hoffmans at Chelmsford both hosted tourist games?

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 04:08:56 PM »

Chelmsford
Southend - Garons
Colchester
Leyton
Valentine's Park, Ilford
Harlow
Brentwood
Romford
Clacton

There were some early Sunday league games at Purfleet. I think one may have been televised. I can think of three more for the list. Colchester Garrison ground is the one used most and I think Basildon and Hoffmans at Chelmsford both hosted tourist games?
You are certainly correct about Colchester Garrison, and I vaguely remember seeing something about us playing a game at Basildon in an old Essex handbook. 

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 04:40:58 PM »
We played Wilfred Isaacs XI at Basildon, cannot recall when, I think at Colchester Garrison Grd a certain Boycott got 260 in a CC match v us (please correct me if necessary), Purfleet was certainly correct - the old Thames Board Mills ground just off the A13, v Kent 1 year & Glam another, good crowds for both but not the easiest ground to get to.

Offline Sunny1066

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 09:14:01 PM »
Wasn’t Chalkwell Park also used.

Offline nat

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 09:29:08 PM »
Wasn’t Chalkwell Park also used.
aka Westcliff.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 08:20:47 AM »
Think I managed 9 of the grounds when I was a gal.

Lynda

Offline firehazard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 08:26:58 AM »

That was my favourite back in the day too. By bus, or got the train at Upminster. Still remember the day there was a fire, I think in one of the shops over the road, smoke billowing across the ground...

I saw them at 7 of the grounds on your list.

Offline Perov

Re: Rishi Patel
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 09:02:14 AM »
We didn't know at the time, but looking at the list, I attended the last ever games at Clacton, Colchester, Southchurch Park and Garon Park.

I always liked the Festival grounds, and regret their demise.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 10:17:36 AM »
I am a huge fan of festival cricket/out grounds. If we have to use one next year during the 100 ball competition, despite my love of Colchester, I'd take a serious look at Leyton, which I understand has been re-developed.

Does anyone know which ground was used for the Basildon game? Was it Basildon CC's current ground?

I saw a wikipedia page which suggested that Hoffmans at Chelmsford hosted a Sunday league game - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Essex_County_Cricket_Club_grounds

I always treat wikipedia with a pinch of salt - but does this ring true? The Basildon ground isn't listed so maybe the game played there wasn't first class?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:29:53 AM by Slogger »

Online JasonP

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 01:20:02 PM »
I am a huge fan of festival cricket/out grounds. If we have to use one next year during the 100 ball competition, despite my love of Colchester, I'd take a serious look at Leyton, which I understand has been re-developed.

Does anyone know which ground was used for the Basildon game? Was it Basildon CC's current ground?

I saw a wikipedia page which suggested that Hoffmans at Chelmsford hosted a Sunday league game - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Essex_County_Cricket_Club_grounds

I always treat wikipedia with a pinch of salt - but does this ring true?
The Basildon ground isn't listed so maybe the game played there wasn't first class?

It's right.  It tally's with the records on cricket archive.  3 First class matches and 1 Sunday League match at Hoffmans.  The Sunday League game only had 5 overs play.
No first class matches at Basildon, just the Essex v W Isaacs XI match mentioned a few posts above in 1969.