Author Topic: Membership Refunds .  (Read 4927 times)

Offline Crisp

Re: Membership Refunds .
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »
I noticed on social media that an article had been published in the Telegraph last week stating that County Cricket with limited entry would be one of the first sports to return with crowds.

County Cricket was given the thumbs up because of the vaccination of the elderly and the potential spacing at the grounds.

Lets hope this trumps the Mails news about no County Championship for the season, which I think is total shite reporting.

Offline vim

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 04:20:49 PM »
I predict that Golf and Horse Racing will also open up with limited numbers due to the size of the venues.

Football will then start lobbying the Government, not taking into account the circumstances. They will be unable or unwilling to take in the reasons why there is a refusal.

Offline Andy

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 04:34:15 PM »
I can't see why golf couldn't have continued, I'm not a player myself but I suspect there was some outcry last summer when it continued whilst others didn't. It would make sense for the CC matches to open up as they did last year. Baby steps.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2021, 12:29:21 PM »

Lets hope this trumps the Mails news about no County Championship for the season, which I think is total shite reporting.
i.e. typical Daily Mail

Online SirChef26

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 08:41:00 PM »
Announcement today planning for 25% capacity in all sports stadia from May 17th with a view to full crowds by June 21st. If true that means a very limited crowd would return to Chelmsford vs Warwickshire on May 20th. Would also mean only three home Championship games would be played behind closed doors. Full crowds back by June 21st would see four Blast games at Chelmsford played to full capacity, including all 50 over games and the September leg of the Championship.

Of course it could (and probably will) change very quickly, but right now this is where we're at. I assume now the counties have to make the decision whether to stick with the original fixture list, or to push the Blast back as has been speculated to give themselves the best possible chance of having full crowds at every group game, hence moving the September Championship games to June/July.

Offline Andy

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 09:54:10 PM »
Alex, I see your point about revising the schedule, but I suspect that they won't be minded to make changes now.

Offline nat

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 10:16:11 PM »
Alex, I see your point about revising the schedule, but I suspect that they won't be minded to make changes now.

Oh they will.

Online SirChef26

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2021, 11:23:23 PM »
Like it or not Andy (and plenty won't like it), it's all about saving/making as much money as possible. If I'm a county chairman, I want to give my county the best possible chance of playing all seven of our Blast home games in front of full crowds. Especially at a county like Essex where 25% of a crowd equals only around 1.5k fans tops. That means I'm voting to push the Blast back and push the Championship (where 1.5k fans would be more than enough on most days) forward.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 10:49:37 AM »
I've read the government document this morning (I have to read these things for work). I wasn't too sure if we'd get 25% or 50% of capacity as a crowd from 17 May. There seems to be "large outdoor events" category - 25% of capacity or 10,000, whichever is lower and "other outdoor events" category - 4,000 or 50% of capacity, whichever is lower. Having read a lot of the SAGE material last year the infection risk issue isn't so much being outdoors at a venue, it's getting there and mixing in pubs, cafes etc before and after the event. DCMS refer to this as "the last mile". I guess we'll have to await detailed guidance from DCMS to see what category Chelmsford falls into.

Personally I'd be radical. I'd switch the 50 over competition to early season and play it to a conclusion behind closed doors, shift T20 to September and compress it and maximise high summer for the championship. I'd play championship matches at the same time as this ghastly 100 ball competition to fit everything in. (Bearing in mind the low take up of vaccines in certain inner city areas I won't be falling over myself to travel to the big London venues by train and tube for a while  to watch big matches!)

OK that doesn't help Essex retain the title but it would give some young cricketers a taste of first class play and give members more cricket to watch. This year, of all years, that must be the most important thing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 11:17:11 AM by Slogger »

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 11:16:36 AM »
Very sensible suggestion slogger. I have decided not to take out membership for Yorkshire this season because three of the five Championship matches at Headingley are before May 17th. All the 50 over games are at outgrounds and I have no interest in attending T20. If I fancy a day in September I will pay at the gate.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2021, 11:19:29 AM »
Leeds - as a matter of interest which venues are Yorks using for the 50 over tournament?

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 12:43:48 PM »
York and Scarborough have two each. There are also two Championship matches at Scarborough. Regretably I no longer feel inclined to travel any great distance these days.

Offline Perov

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2021, 03:39:01 PM »
Depending on membership take up and crowd limitations I'm not sure pay at the gate will be available for non members, Leeds Exile.
For example if Essex are limited to 1,500 spectators for home games and the membership is 3,000, although not everyone will wish to attend on a given day, say 1,800 members wished to attend there would have to be a lottery system, to choose the attendees. Therefore no room for pay at the gate.
I expect a similar arrangement at Yorkshire, although the grounds, and membership are larger.
However,  all this could be wishful thinking if yet another new variant  is set upon us.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2021, 03:57:03 PM »
Afternoon all. I'm out of 'cricket' hibernation. Isn't Essex' problem the very narrow access area behind the Felstead stand and, to a lesser degree, at the Hayes Close End?

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2021, 04:08:28 PM »
I suspect with largely elderly spectators the toilets might also be an issue. Perhaps it will be one in one out. Far from ideal I fear.