Author Topic: Finals Day 2020  (Read 1210 times)

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
Finals Day 2020
« on: October 05, 2020, 08:14:14 AM »
Essex Eagles  Champions Header has now been removed and past on to the new owners Nottingham Outlows, congrats to them.
 The final  was  played over 16/16 overs, than the full 20, a smaller version of next years franchise,(with some tinkering with next years rules to come ) it did feel like franchise cricket had arrived because most players had already played for previous counties, game in itself in rembering former counties kept it intresting.  Considering 29 players made first class red ball  debuts in the BWT, the final only had a minority who had only played for the one county.
 The power play was strange due to finishing mid over rather than the end of a complete one, must be some bizarre equation which keeps rule makers in work.
 It was all a bit  flat, with No Caroline being sung around the stands, the only noise coming from the players themselves for encouragement and motivation. These competitions are sometimes won by fine margins, so spare a thought to Leicester Foxes, who twice mis fielded, letting the Outlaws through in the quater finals only a few dats before.
 Anyway good family entertainment with plenty of spitting and swearing present, if the ECB put a fine on it could have recovered most of the prize money.

Offline Andy

Re: Finals Day 2020
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 03:39:05 PM »
Spitting and swearing?  Standards have fallen without our presence at finals day.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 03:42:50 PM »
Spitting and swearing?  Standards have fallen without our presence at finals day.

Was Wayne Rooney there then??

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 04:41:34 PM »
I am surprised you said that there was no atmosphere bwildered because there was a dj present and he played non stop including all the old faithfulls. I listened on the radio and the contrived atmosphere was very obvious. The fact that Notts only qualified due to two misfields, as you say merely confirms to me that luck plays a huge part in 20/20 which is why I consider it to be the least attractive of the formats.

Online nat

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 04:43:31 PM »
Umpires gave the Notts batsmen a warning that any further bad language would see a 5 run penalty. First time I've seen this sort of action taken. Suspect it was because it was very visible/audible on TV due to the absence of crowd noise.

Offline Andy

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 09:21:30 PM »
I am surprised you said that there was no atmosphere bwildered because there was a dj present and he played non stop including all the old faithfulls. I listened on the radio and the contrived atmosphere was very obvious. The fact that Notts only qualified due to two misfields, as you say merely confirms to me that luck plays a huge part in 20/20 which is why I consider it to be the least attractive of the formats.

Luck, or a brown paper envelope??

Offline Slogger

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 08:13:28 AM »
Talking about luck in the T20 format reminds me of Richie Benaud's comments on captaincy. He reckoned that good captaincy was something like 90% luck and 10% ability but don't even try if you can't do the 10%. T20 strikes me as similar.

Even after all these years my favourite one day format was the old 40 over format before the balls went white and the bats got too heavy. It didn't take all day but there was enough time for an innings to be rebuilt after early wickets. Best played on sporting wickets at festival grounds....

Atherton made the point that more or less everyone in the Notts team had been imported from somewhere else. I suppose in that sense finals day was a prototype for the 100 ball tournament next year.