Author Topic: Derek Bowden  (Read 2954 times)

Offline Suffolk Richard

Re: Derek Bowden
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 07:17:13 PM »
Shouldn't we wait until Bowden's replacement is named and how good he or she is before making judgement on his tenure? Unless of course anybody thinks that's cobblers too!

Online nat

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 09:50:49 PM »
Shouldn't we wait until Bowden's replacement is named and how good he or she is before making judgement on his tenure? Unless of course anybody thinks that's cobblers too!
Cobblers....with all due respect.

Offline Andy

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2020, 10:06:00 PM »

Clearly my Irani sports insole joke went over the head...

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 08:12:55 PM »

You could well be right, however we will see wether Essex appoint another CEO with a business concept first rather then a love of sport. Irani has a business concept and we know he loves Essex in particular.

Online squarelegumpire

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2020, 06:44:41 PM »
Positive about cricket, please, but with good....... ie successful ...... business experience. TBH I think that Bowden, for all that he came from football, was, I think a reasonable administrator of a cricket club, and he did call time on that mad development scheme.

Offline vim

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2020, 08:00:08 AM »
I agree Derek Bowden's legacy is not all around you. He killed off the ground development and put a stake through it so that it cannot rise from the dead again.

Online squarelegumpire

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »
While clearly the scheme we all fought about is dead and buried the ground's facilities need improvement. In some areas it's getting to be a desperate need. For the moment anyway, the teams in a good place....... yes, yes I know we can never stand still ........ so may be someone with some sort of vision on that side would be useful. However, there ought to be someone on the Committee with that sort of vision, too. No good having a CE with vision and imagination without a strong elected voice as well.

Offline Mog

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2020, 10:33:09 AM »
All Bowden did was succumb to the inevitable with the proposed 'ground redevelopment'. I can see little evidence of any strategic thinking on his or ECCC's part.
In fact I would contend that it was the only option available after No Change Essex had backed themselves into a corner. Firstly refusing to reveal any tangible design details, then attempted to conceal key elements of the project, such as the layout and design for the River End.
Anybody who saw this incompetent shambles from its unveiling knew it was undeliverable. It lacked coherence, it was at the mercy of the buy-to let property sector, and put ECCC members and supporters firmly at the back of the queue.
Remember how the Club decided to belatedly 'consult' with its real stakeholders - those self same members and supporters, after the DoE called in the plans due to the flood risk, amongst other concerns?

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2020, 10:19:56 PM »
Notice that John's title is currently Chairman and interim Chief executive

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 01:03:14 PM »
This temporary appointment was announced on the website and there is an interview with him about future plans.