Author Topic: International Rankings  (Read 632 times)

Offline LeedsExile

International Rankings
« on: September 16, 2020, 07:48:30 AM »
I have long thought that the rankings for International players are confusing and often bare little relation to what most people think. If you could name one batsman to enhance a 20/20 side today I am sure you would not nominate the chap who is top of the rankings. The IPL seem to agree as none of their many sides have offered him a deal. The man in question is Dawid Malan. Any thoughts?

Offline neil

Re: International Rankings
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 08:00:11 AM »
I have long thought that the rankings for International players are confusing and often bare little relation to what most people think. If you could name one batsman to enhance a 20/20 side today I am sure you would not nominate the chap who is top of the rankings. The IPL seem to agree as none of their many sides have offered him a deal. The man in question is Dawid Malan. Any thoughts?

I was watching the Yorkshire v Lancashire game earlier this week. The commentators were discussing the difference in performance in his T20 game between domestic and international cricket. They seemed to think he was freer when playing for England

Maybe, something the IPL have picked up in.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 10:17:46 AM »

It doesn't particularly matter what people think.  His stats for England are exceptionally good, although a pretty small size.  16 innings 1 hundred and 7 fifties.  Average 48.71 at a strike rate of 146.66.

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/282912.html
He doesn't qualify for for list because it's minimum 20 innings but his record is as good as anyone's at present.  The only two guys with a better average than him have a worse strike rate than him.  The likelihood is his record will decline and he'll fall down the rankings but as of now he;s right up there.

As for the IPL etc it seems to be a bit of an English thing at times where the Franchise records arent as good.  Roy and Morgan are two others who seem to play much better for England than they do in domestic competitions.  Morgan in particular.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 05:28:38 PM »
 When you consider Malan hit a England place about the same time has Westley, shows how much he has kicked on. Always a prize wicket in OD & County cricket against Middlesex and now Yorkshire , also seems to nudged ahead of Vince and now Denly . Surprised at present only selected for 20/20 , more than capable of playing 50/50 version.
 Let's hope this is not replicated with Crawley , Pope & Lawrence .