Author Topic: v Sussex  (Read 7290 times)

Offline Slogger

Re: v Sussex
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2020, 11:51:15 AM »
Fair point about Habib. He was probably a qualified success.

Offline Andy

« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2020, 04:30:09 PM »
I refrained from criticising during the match as you just never know with this remarkable Essex team. They really seem never to accept defeat. Unfortunately the lack of batting points still means that despite three wins we are only a few points ahead of several other teams. It is a mistake to look at the group table in isolation. A combined table of all teams is more revealing as it shows: Essex 61, Worcester 57, Derby 57, Somerset 56 and Yorkshire 55. These are the teams we are really challenging not the ones in our group.

Unfortunately you are correct. It’s daft to not have a semi final round. This is more a conference-style system than league in effect. Of course the variable weather may have the last say...

Ben Brown seems a decent cove. Strange to hear how they view us a more mature. It wasn’t that long ago that I was watching Sussex play at Old Trafford in D1 whilst we were scrabbling around in D2.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2020, 04:58:05 PM »
I guess Sussex and Essex are quite similar counties in some respects. I lived there for a few years and cricket is an important sport there, especially in the small towns and villages. Neither county really fits into the big stadium blueprint that seems to be in the ECB's thinking but we both fill up our grounds for T20.

Offline Andy

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2020, 08:02:25 PM »
I guess Sussex and Essex are quite similar counties in some respects. I lived there for a few years and cricket is an important sport there, especially in the small towns and villages. Neither county really fits into the big stadium blueprint that seems to be in the ECB's thinking but we both fill up our grounds for T20.
Sussex seemed to have a lot of cash behind them a few years ago?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2020, 08:20:56 PM »

There's a lot of league cricket and village cricket in Sussex. Indoor cricket also through the winter - again a league competition.

We lived there too but I never gave up my Essex membership :)

Offline nat

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »
iirc they were left a lot of money in the will of a member. Hope you've signed over your gold plated pension to the club. They could name a part of the ground in you honour. Any offers?

Online SirChef26

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2020, 11:54:28 PM »
Sussex will overtake us off the field within the next few years as they are actually getting on with redeveloping their ground.

Offline vim

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2020, 05:11:26 AM »
Looking at the feed it would appear that developing their ground results in no place for all but a few special people behind the bowlers arm. Similar to what we had proposed for us.

Ground developments are poison to the ordinary member and supporter. Do not believe the publicity.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
Sussex will overtake us off the field within the next few years as they are actually getting on with redeveloping their ground.

They need to - Hove is terribly inhospitable as a supporter - one of my least favourite grounds. Never go at the start of a season as you won't find anything to eat or drink ...

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2020, 02:24:18 PM »
When I last visited Hove in April 2016 for the CC2 match they had a large cafe/restaurant open at the front of the ground which was adequate although the coffee wasn't up to much, there is also an outlet near the dressing rooms, certainly not the worst place I've visited.

Offline Andy

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »
iirc they were left a lot of money in the will of a member. Hope you've signed over your gold plated pension to the club. They could name a part of the ground in you honour. Any offers?

Gold plated?  They've been changing the rules since I started putting in by three penny worth. Only Gammons with their BTL purchases get gold plated pensions. Stop reading the Daily Express... Mind you renaming Hayes Close End to the That Useless T@sser End would cause great hilarity -  and be very apt 😉

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2020, 04:33:50 PM »
Commentators again were dire and the frequent changes in volume were terrible.

Could not see that the camerawork was any different to what we get at Chelmsford.