Author Topic: Surrey at Chelmsford  (Read 1478 times)

Offline aztec

Surrey at Chelmsford
« on: August 13, 2020, 01:44:51 PM »
Feroze Khushi playing in his 2nd First Class match scored his maiden First Class 50 in a total of 66 scored from 108 balls.

During this match Adam Wheater and Sam Cook both received their County caps from Captain Tom Westley.

But, at the end of the day, this match should really be known as Simon's match for the contribution that he made to it. Not content with figures of 6-67 in the first innings he bowled continuously from over 6 in the second innings until he finished the innings on ball 1 of the 76th over. In this time he took a superb catch in his left hand, falling away to his left, to dismiss Smith off Beard and then ran through the Surrey batsmen to finish with figures of 8-64 from 34.1 overs. Ten wickets in a match once again and match figures of 14-131.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
Re: Surrey at Chelmsford
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 02:01:13 PM »
Aztec - the commentators said Simon's analysis was a record for First Class matches against Surrey.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 03:50:58 PM »
Yes beating Peter Smith's previous record.

Offline aztec

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 01:39:23 PM »
Aztec - the commentators said Simon's analysis was a record for First Class matches against Surrey.
Sorry about the omission, Essexfan, they were quite correct.

Offline Andy

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »
Yes beating Peter Smith's previous record.

Does Smith still hold that batting record?

Offline Gilders

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 08:44:00 AM »
I think I read that in this match, Simon Harmer became the first man since Deadly Derek Underwood 40-odd years ago to take 3 14-fors in a career.  Apparently Deadly took 4 albeit I bet they were on uncovered wickets.

There have been some great bowlers since then who must not have managed it - Warne, Murali, McGrath, Anderson, Kumble, Herath, Ashwin, Lyon, Steyn, Wasim, Waqar, Qadir, Pollock, Walsh, Ambrose to name a few. Plus some I may have forgotten.

Is that stat definitely right can anybody confirm please?

And can anyone find any more detail about others who have taken repeated big hauls either for Essex or in general?

Offline Perov

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 04:18:11 PM »
In the 1930's  H Verity (Yorkshire,)  took 3 x 15 wicket hauls and a 17 - 91 (against Essex).

Tich Freeman (Kent) had 3x15 wicket matches  2 x 16 wicket matches and  2 x17 wicket matches.

Records that are unlikely to have been beaten since the War.
I'm not sure if anyone else rivals Underwood and Harmer,  since 1945.

Offline Andy

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 06:48:09 PM »
Taking 14+ wickets in a match is a feat that requires a lot of luck and/or poor bowling by the other members of the attack. Just look at Laker in 1956 -  there's no way Lock should only have got one wicket on that bunsen at old Trafford.

I would have thought Essex might have a couple of bowlers getting large hauls because of uncovered wickets and/or lack of support bowling. Walter mead and Peter Smith spring to mind.

Offline aztec

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 08:01:32 AM »
Taking 14+ wickets in a match is a feat that requires a lot of luck and/or poor bowling by the other members of the attack. Just look at Laker in 1956 -  there's no way Lock should only have got one wicket on that bunsen at old Trafford.

I would have thought Essex might have a couple of bowlers getting large hauls because of uncovered wickets and/or lack of support bowling. Walter mead and Peter Smith spring to mind.

CricketArchive shows Walter Mead taking 17-119 v Hampshire at Southampton in 1895 and Peter Smith taking 16-125 v Middlesex at Colchester in 1947 and they are the top two in the list of best performances for Essex

Offline Andy

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2020, 11:32:25 AM »

CricketArchive shows Walter Mead taking 17-119 v Hampshire at Southampton in 1895 and Peter Smith taking 16-125 v Middlesex at Colchester in 1947 and they are the top two in the list of best performances for Essex

Thanks Aztec. Well what d’ya know?  Both interesting guys - one a film star the other seems to have been at odds with the ECCC management.  Both had to carry the bowling in a way that Harmer hasn’t.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
In the 1930's  H Verity (Yorkshire,)  took 3 x 15 wicket hauls and a 17 - 91 (against Essex).

Tich Freeman (Kent) had 3x15 wicket matches  2 x 16 wicket matches and  2 x17 wicket matches.

Records that are unlikely to have been beaten since the War.
I'm not sure if anyone else rivals Underwood and Harmer,  since 1945.
My father saw Tich Freeman bowl many times. He always maintained  that a big reason TF took so many wickets is that the rest of the Kent attack were rubbish.