Author Topic: V SURREY  (Read 7049 times)

Offline nat

Re: V SURREY
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2020, 06:24:19 AM »
He lives in Epping - my late Aunt and her family used to live there - far better than South Africa with its gunfights in the streets...hang on, he must feel right at home at the end of the central line!!
Sadly you are quite right.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2020, 07:20:59 AM »
I wish we could get some 100% official confirmation of this as I hear a different version of "will he, won't he" nearly every other week!. I'd dread to think where we'd be if we lost him and being a natural pessimist, i fear that this season will be the last one we will be able to call upon his services whenever we want. HOWEVER, putting on my optimistic hat (for once!) then maybe it s a good sign that Nijjar isnt playing as that would indicate the club knows that we WILL still have Harmer next season, as surely, if not, then they should be playing Nijjar at every opportunity to let him develop and get more experience now before he's thrown in at the deep end?!

Sorry, what is more official than the chairman saying it and Simon being one of our overseas for next year. Listen to the forum yourself if you don't believe me.

Ahhh, I see, well that’s that then obviously!

It’s like the dreaded football club chairman giving his manager the vote of confidence!!.....IF England want him and it’s clear that Harmer is desperate to play for England, then they will find a loophole to exploit to get him.

One thing is almost for certain though, he will be (baring injury or Covid!) playing test match cricket next year for one Country or another!

Im not sure SA will pick him, and I dont think England would either, even with Silverwood

Offline firehazard

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2020, 07:37:41 AM »
I wish we could get some 100% official confirmation of this as I hear a different version of "will he, won't he" nearly every other week!. I'd dread to think where we'd be if we lost him and being a natural pessimist, i fear that this season will be the last one we will be able to call upon his services whenever we want. HOWEVER, putting on my optimistic hat (for once!) then maybe it s a good sign that Nijjar isnt playing as that would indicate the club knows that we WILL still have Harmer next season, as surely, if not, then they should be playing Nijjar at every opportunity to let him develop and get more experience now before he's thrown in at the deep end?!

Sorry, what is more official than the chairman saying it and Simon being one of our overseas for next year. Listen to the forum yourself if you don't believe me.

Ahhh, I see, well that’s that then obviously!

It’s like the dreaded football club chairman giving his manager the vote of confidence!!.....IF England want him and it’s clear that Harmer is desperate to play for England, then they will find a loophole to exploit to get him.

One thing is almost for certain though, he will be (baring injury or Covid!) playing test match cricket next year for one Country or another!

Im not sure SA will pick him, and I dont think England would either, even with Silverwood

Harmer interviewed on Cricinfo yesterday: 'speaking after the match, he acknowledged that the UK's impending exit from the European Union, and the changes to the Kolpak ruling that that will entail, have effectively ended his chances of qualifying to play for England.

"I think so," he said. "With the Kolpak ruling changing, as far as I know with clarity, the Kolpaks will fall away at the end of the year when England leaves the EU and therefore the door closes.

"I have explored trying to get onto a different visa so that I can have more rights, in terms of buying property and a whole load of other things but I got a very stern no from Alan Fordham at the ECB. As far as I am concerned there is no future there."

Harmer played five Tests for South Africa in 2015 before joining the country's exodus into the ranks of county cricket. However, with his status set to change to that of an overseas player from 2021 onwards, when all counties will be permitted two such registrations, there is still the outside prospect of him being reunited with his former countrymen.'

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2020, 03:56:39 PM »
Sadly if Simon doesn't get back to Test cricket with SA he may end up like the great Ken McEwan ie eventually quitting FC cricket early as he got tired of travelling up & down this country with no prospect of Test cricket, Ken like Simon played for a trophy winning team but even that isn't always enough.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2020, 03:58:02 PM »
Sadly if Simon doesn't get back to Test cricket with SA he may end up like the great Ken McEwan ie eventually quitting FC cricket early as he got tired of travelling up & down this country with no prospect of Test cricket, Ken like Simon played for a trophy winning team but even that isn't always enough.

I expect Harmer earns a fair bit more, thats a great motivator

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2020, 04:03:21 PM »
My understanding was, not that Ken McEwan "fell out of love" with the game like Barry Richards. It was rather that it was time for him to take over the family farm in South Africa which was going to be where his future was.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2020, 05:29:24 PM »

I don't think that's right - Kenny himself said in a recent interview that playing for Essex was the best time of his life. He needed t go back home to run the farm as LeedsExile says.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2020, 07:51:32 PM »
Fair enough, I stand corrected, Thank You for correcting my inaccuracies.