Author Topic: Eng v Pakistan  (Read 7286 times)

Offline Bath Hammer

Re: Eng v Pakistan
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2020, 06:31:15 AM »
I have to say I’m more inclined to listen to the views of an experienced wicket keeper like Matt Pryer who had no axe to grind.  His views were supported by Dominic Cork & Mark Butcher on woblegate Furthermore, I’ve seen Foakes from quite catchable chances whilst playing for England. I’m pleased to say, though, that there’s no talk of bringing back Johnny Bairstow who threw his toys out of the pram when excluded. Anderson & Broad did the same & were re-selected, maybe justifiably, but it isn’t something I like to see.
On another matter, isn’t Archer looking pretty innocuous.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2020, 07:57:36 AM »
I agree about Bairstow. I think England should have been harder with him.  Wanted to keep wicket but his batting went downhill massively.  They should have told him to forget the gloves and sort out his batting.  Archer just needs time.  I think he is one of those players that responds better to an arm round the shoulder rather than grief from the press etc.  Got to stick with him

Offline Andy

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2020, 01:18:29 PM »
According to Matt Prior the ball wobbled late & caught him out. It was an understandable miss.

Mmm looked pretty straight forward to me no massive or late movement but didn't get his gloves at the right level. I would like to see Foakes have a run with the gloves. Trouble is that they are set to keep the openers together, Zak at 3 given the double century, Pope also is up and coming, so when Stokes is back they would have to drop Buttler who has been consist maybe rest Root and give Stokes the captaincy. Ideally Archer and Bess would show a bit more gumption with the bat

I never saw Foster or Alan Knott drop a catch like that.

We were spoiled with Fossie, though. Should Butler have a word with him?

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2020, 01:23:32 PM »
Foster is in the England bubble in some capacity but Bruce French is still around too.

Offline Andy

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2020, 01:35:44 PM »
Foster is in the England bubble in some capacity but Bruce French is still around too.

Presumably French is teaching heading practice?

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2020, 08:49:02 PM »
Congrats to Jimmy Anderson for reaching 600, a tremendous achievement! He wants to carry on & fair enough but his workload will need managing very closely as well as his fitness.
I would be very surprised if he plays for Lancs much more & certainly no more than 2/3 FC games per season.

Online nat

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2020, 09:01:48 PM »
Congrats to Jimmy Anderson for reaching 600, a tremendous achievement! He wants to carry on & fair enough but his workload will need managing very closely as well as his fitness.
I would be very surprised if he plays for Lancs much more & certainly no more than 2/3 FC games per season.

That's all he does now. At that rate he could play until he is 50!

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2020, 06:37:19 AM »
Id give him the winter off, wouldnt take him to india or SL

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2020, 10:18:19 AM »
Despite everything a entertaining Test series throughout the summer . Made even more so with England losing the first test against  Windies and having to play catch up.
Looks like Silverwood is gradually piecing together a decent squad of players. Bess, Pope and Crawley need to get games in .
Think Jimmi needs twenty five more wickets for 1,000 first class ?? 

Online oldhasbeen

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
Agreed Bwildered.  A far better summer of Test cricket than I'd expected a few months ago, and encouraging signs of progress from England. A fantastic effort by those who've made it possible, both on and off the field.

As for what comes next..... I haven't got a scooby. But a joke doing the rounds on Twitter says it all:

Speaker to (socially distanced) crowd: "If you believe everything will go back to normal after the Covid-19 crisis is over, please raise you right hand  ....(long pause).... now slap yourself with it"

It's as true for cricket as everything else. If the Times was correct in saying that all  the counties will be looking at a 15-20% cut in funding next year, there are going to be big changes well beyond a lot of players' contracts not being renewed and staff being made redundant.
I fear that not all 18 counties will survive  - some have been cash-strapped for years (e.g. Northants, Leicester & Derbys), and Durham nearly went under. And, much as it pains me, I see a lot less County first-class cricket being played in the future. Maybe regionally-based 6 team conferences playing each other twice a season is as good as it's going to get.  I hope I'm wrong.

Online nat

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2020, 12:51:49 PM »
if you wish away several first class counties then it will become a self fulfilling prophecy. A reduction in playing squads and backroom staff including the bloated ECB is by far the least worst option.

Online oldhasbeen

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2020, 01:27:04 PM »
if you wish away several first class counties then it will become a self fulfilling prophecy. A reduction in playing squads and backroom staff including the bloated ECB is by far the least worst option.
I'm not wishing anyone away. It's just pounds, shillings &pence. Counties on the financial breadline are going to struggle to deal with 15-20% less cash, even if the cricket world returns to something like normality next summer and that's a very big "if"
I've no knowledge of how "bloated" the ECB is. I do know, however, it's always very easy to just say "cut the backroom staff" - a lot easier than actually doing it.

A substantial number of businesses, theatres & restaurants have already closed permanently or are on the verge of it - do you really think the cricket world is so different it can defy financial gravity?

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2020, 02:18:20 PM »
A few years ago the ECB had reserves of £80m. Then Graves and Harrison conspired to squander most of it so that less than £10m remains. This is the real reason for Cricket's parlous state. Why does no one hold them to account?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »
Did anyone hear George Dobell talk about Colin Graves yesterday? Wow ... I hope his ears are burning.

The celebration of Jimmy's 600 included a clip of Chef saying well done but he'd had got them quicker if he'd been there at slip  ;D

Online oldhasbeen

« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2020, 03:44:18 PM »
A few years ago the ECB had reserves of £80m. Then Graves and Harrison conspired to squander most of it so that less than £10m remains. This is the real reason for Cricket's parlous state. Why does no one hold them to account?
Ouch!
Big question: where did the money go? Let's try to find out a bit.
I'm going to start a new thread on County Cricket's Finances, hopefully a few people will contribute.