Author Topic: Eng v Pakistan  (Read 7229 times)

Offline bobw

Re: Eng v Pakistan
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2020, 08:08:05 PM »
Crawley & Buttler , gone past previous highest fifth wicket stand of 255 held by T Greig and KWR Fletcher .

Crawley now passed double hundred , wonder how many players have a highest score set in test cricket ( apart from Goochie ).

There will be more and more with their highest score in test cricket. With central contracts a number of players will only play test cricket once thet establish themselves in the team, so will not have the chance to score runs, or get wickets, elsewhere.

Offline Bath Hammer

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2020, 05:35:24 PM »
I can’t say I follow the logic of your argument. Some brilliant wicket keeping on display from Buttler to add to his excellent batting.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 05:42:19 PM by Bath Hammer »

Offline Andy

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2020, 06:17:31 PM »
I can’t say I follow the logic of your argument. Some brilliant wicket keeping on display from Buttler to add to his excellent batting.

I think that he means as central contracted players tend to play little first class cricket outside of the Test arena it is more likely that their highest score will be made for the test team.

Offline Bath Hammer

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2020, 10:15:15 PM »
Okay, but they have been centrally contracted for 20 years.

Offline Andy

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2020, 12:19:27 PM »

But there weren’t as many contracted back then and those who received them had played a few seasons of non-stop county/test/odi cricket. There are more white ball tournaments during the county season as well don’t forget.

Offline nat

« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2020, 12:22:03 PM »

What was England's Test match ranking then and now?

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2020, 01:49:52 PM »
A good match from Buttler.  Followed up his good innings previously.  Im still sceptical but you've got to give credit where its due.  He needs to keep this standard up though

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2020, 02:19:13 PM »
Have you seen the catch he dropped this morning? Routine and he did not even get a glove on it. He is not a natural keeper by a longshot. Ben Foakes got a century today too.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2020, 03:38:52 PM »
Have you seen the catch he dropped this morning? Routine and he did not even get a glove on it. He is not a natural keeper by a longshot. Ben Foakes got a century today too.
Took 2 excellent catches yesterday, then misses a routine one. Sorry, Meatloaf, but 2 out of 3 isn't good enough for a Test keeper.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2020, 04:15:02 PM »

I didnt see it as it goes.  Like I said, Im still sceptical but until the dropped catch he has had a good game

Offline Bath Hammer

« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2020, 06:53:02 PM »
According to Matt Prior the ball wobbled late & caught him out. It was an understandable miss.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2020, 07:23:55 PM »
I don't think Mr Anderson would agree with you.

Offline Andy

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2020, 08:33:35 PM »
According to Matt Prior the ball wobbled late & caught him out. It was an understandable miss.

Mmm looked pretty straight forward to me no massive or late movement but didn't get his gloves at the right level. I would like to see Foakes have a run with the gloves. Trouble is that they are set to keep the openers together, Zak at 3 given the double century, Pope also is up and coming, so when Stokes is back they would have to drop Buttler who has been consist maybe rest Root and give Stokes the captaincy. Ideally Archer and Bess would show a bit more gumption with the bat

Offline nat

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2020, 09:08:08 PM »

Mmm looked pretty straight forward to me no massive or late movement but didn't get his gloves at the right level. I would like to see Foakes have a run with the gloves. Trouble is that they are set to keep the openers together, Zak at 3 given the double century, Pope also is up and coming, so when Stokes is back they would have to drop Buttler who has been consist maybe rest Root and give Stokes the captaincy. Ideally Archer and Bess would show a bit more gumption with the bat

I never saw Foster or Alan Knott drop a catch like that.

Offline vim

« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2020, 05:28:20 AM »
He dropped it because it wobbled. With the next one they will be saying he shaked it to see if it rattled.