Author Topic: Eng v Pakistan  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Bath Hammer

Eng v Pakistan
« on: August 07, 2020, 02:08:39 PM »
Pakistan are looking impressive & as things stand seem to be heading for a convincing victory, although this England team often manage to do the impossible. Praise is continually heaped on Anderson & Broad, & 500+ wickets between them is some achievement, but that doesn’t automatically mean they are going to out bowl other sides & I have to say Pakistan’s bowling attack looks far more potent in this match. Also, since all the hoo-ha when Archer impressed in the World Cup his threat seems to have diminished. Furthermore is Best really the “best” spin bowler we can produce. On the batting front we could really do with Root staring to look world class again.

Offline honkytonk

Re: Eng v Pakistan
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 03:35:57 PM »
I think Anderson needs to go

Id still like to see England give Parkinson a go (but i know he is injured)

Root does not score enough 100s

Buttler is not a test keeper

Offline Andy

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 07:08:09 PM »
I bet Stokes winds up as Test captain by the end of the series. I prefer my skippers with a bit of fight in them.

Lawrence needs to improve his bowling if he wants to get ahead of ex-Fat Boy, Adolf and ChapellZ in the top order.

Offline nat

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 08:20:55 PM »
I bet Stokes winds up as Test captain by the end of the series. I prefer my skippers with a bit of fight in them.

Lawrence needs to improve his bowling if he wants to get ahead of ex-Fat Boy, Adolf and ChapellZ in the top order.
We should call him Lawrence of Suburbia.

I'll get my coat.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »
England playing catch up cricket yet again, game could go either way, not sure can trust top order to chase 270 .

Offline Bath Hammer

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 11:40:02 AM »

I expect I am the only one who doesn’t follow nick names but who are these three?

Offline Andy

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 01:45:33 PM »

I expect I am the only one who doesn’t follow nick names but who are these three?

Sibley, his opening partner and Zac Chappell (my nod to ChappellI).

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 06:16:12 PM »
What an extraordinary win.A reminder that Test cricket can thrill.

I'd still like to see come changes for the next Test, though. Buttler will cling on to his place, despite some cr*p keeping, but Anderson looks knackered and ineffective and Archer's lost his mojo - time for Mark Wood, and, provided Stokes can bowl, Zak Crawley.

There's also the question of spin - Dom Bess is clearly a talented young cricketer and Butter's misses cost him dear, but he's still a work in progress, too many bad balls. I'd rather play Jack Leach.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 07:29:50 PM »
Finally middle order of Buttler and Woakes get much need runs for England, after the wheels came off in the top order . Still unconvinced by both openers.  Only Broad and Woakes to remain of the pace men in the next test with Anderson and Archer rested.  Foakes to get the gloves please Mr Silverwood.
Enthralling  test cricket at its best, just to prove you can still be hundred behind on first innings and get a positive result. Has every cricket fan says, we never make things easy !

Offline Andy

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 08:33:45 PM »
So, basically change half the team? I would agree about Foakes because Buttler has cost us runs with the gloves and not consistent with the bat to offset that deficiency. Jimmy may well be rested if Broad and Woakes are fit. I suspect Robinson’s call up is an indication of change in the bowling - someone is carrying an injury and it may be Jimmy. Archer is a conundrum - is he being used correctly? Does the farce over his unplanned trip reflect someone who is not particularly self-aware?

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 09:12:46 PM »
Eng got out of jail from the depths of 117-5 with Buttler at long last getting much needed runs, Woakes batted well  also, it was an excellent day's cricket to watch, such a pity crowds weren't allowed in. Let's hope the other 2 Tests are as good, also credit to Pakistan for playing their part.

Offline Bath Hammer

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 06:49:48 AM »

Still just as confused🤔
I wouldn’t be shoe horning in Lawrence for the sake of it but his opportunity will surely come idc.

Offline Bath Hammer

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 07:00:21 AM »
Finally middle order of Buttler and Woakes get much need runs for England, after the wheels came off in the top order . Still unconvinced by both openers.  Only Broad and Woakes to remain of the pace men in the next test with Anderson and Archer rested.  Foakes to get the gloves please Mr Silverwood.
Enthralling  test cricket at its best, just to prove you can still be hundred behind on first innings and get a positive result. Has every cricket fan says, we never make things easy !

Sensible rotation, yes, permanent changes, no. Few of these players are as consistent as we would like & several have technical flaws but they are as good as any at present. I like them as individuals as well which is important. I would not want to lose Buttler but can see a case for playing him as a batsman & Foakes coming in as wicketkeeper but I’m not too bothered about it.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 09:30:26 AM »

Sensible rotation, yes, permanent changes, no. Few of these players are as consistent as we would like & several have technical flaws but they are as good as any at present. I like them as individuals as well which is important. I would not want to lose Buttler but can see a case for playing him as a batsman & Foakes coming in as wicketkeeper but I’m not too bothered about it.

I do not think Buttler should be anywhere near the test side, as a batter or keeper.  You cannot tell me he is one of the best 6/7 red Ball batters in England. Let him concentrate on white ball cricket, where he is easily one of the best in the world. I think its shocking Foakes has not had a chance. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:33:55 AM by honkytonk »

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »

Still just as confused🤔
I wouldn’t be shoe horning in Lawrence for the sake of it but his opportunity will surely come idc.

What concerns me about Lawrence at the moment is his lack of match practice. Reminds me of the way Ashley Cowan was treated on the WI tour and he was never the same again.