Author Topic: Eng v Pakistan  (Read 7290 times)

Offline oldhasbeen

Re: Eng v Pakistan
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2020, 09:53:15 AM »
Finally middle order of Buttler and Woakes get much need runs for England, after the wheels came off in the top order . Still unconvinced by both openers.  Only Broad and Woakes to remain of the pace men in the next test with Anderson and Archer rested.  Foakes to get the gloves please Mr Silverwood.
Enthralling  test cricket at its best, just to prove you can still be hundred behind on first innings and get a positive result. Has every cricket fan says, we never make things easy !

Sensible rotation, yes, permanent changes, no. Few of these players are as consistent as we would like & several have technical flaws but they are as good as any at present. I like them as individuals as well which is important. I would not want to lose Buttler but can see a case for playing him as a batsman & Foakes coming in as wicketkeeper but I’m not too bothered about it.
Resting Archer would be "Sensible rotation" (recall Wood)
Dropping Anderson would be a semi-permanent change.  I think the days where he's an automatic choice have gone

Replace Bess with Leach because Leach is simply a better bowler at the moment, if we have Woakes at number 8, Bess's batting talents are less of a plus

"Still unconvinced by both openers" - I can see no case for dropping either of them. They are both doing better than any of the post-Strauss England openers with the exception of one Sir A Cook.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »
Perhaps it's both the openers technic which makes me unconvinced OHB. Got use to more text book variety from Strauss and Sir Chef previously . Like to see Crawley in the side though .

Offline Andy

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2020, 10:58:49 AM »
The weird techniques make me a little concerned, especially in the pressure of an Ashes series against quality bowling. This series will perhaps test them better than against the Windies.

Offline Andy

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
I bet Stokes winds up as Test captain by the end of the series. I prefer my skippers with a bit of fight in them.

Lawrence needs to improve his bowling if he wants to get ahead of ex-Fat Boy, Adolf and ChapellZ in the top order.
We should call him Lawrence of Suburbia.

I'll get my coat.

Very funny, Nat.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 11:36:06 AM »
Perhaps it's both the openers technic which makes me unconvinced OHB. Got use to more text book variety from Strauss and Sir Chef previously . Like to see Crawley in the side though .
Agree on getting Zak C back at 3. He's certainly got a more classic technique that Burns or Sibley, who knows, he may end up opening in place of one of them.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 01:29:55 PM »
Think that Burns does not play with the full face enough and Sibley too bottom handed, two walking wickets for the Aussies .
Announced that Stokes wil be unavailable in the next two tests, so time to put Crawley in at No3 .

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2020, 08:41:08 PM »
Crawley certainly needs to come back especially as Stokes is out for both remaining Tests, the openers are the best we have in Eng (obviously barring Ally!!), Burns has done better than many recent predecessors, Sibley too is not easy on the eye but has the ability to stick around, if they are discarded then what options are there?
Re Buttler, he should certainly play in white ball but despite yesterday he still shouldn't play in red ball especially as a keeper, Foakes surely must get the nod soon.

Online Bath Hammer

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 02:56:36 AM »
Too true. They are far too protective of England players. It’s ridiculous that once they get anywhere near the England team what got them there, playing for their county, is disregarded, especially when the county in question provides the best possible playing environment. On the Buttler question, he contributed far more to the win than the much lauded Root & that was not a one off! As I’ve said before, I’m relieved that some of our supporters don’t select the test team.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 08:00:13 AM by Bath Hammer »

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 06:40:57 AM »
Too true. They are far too protective of England players. It’s ridiculous that one they get anywhere near the team what got them there, playing for their county is disregarded, especially when the county in question provides the best possible playing environment. On the Buttler question, he contributed far more to the win than the much lauded Root & that was not a one off! As I’ve said before, I’m relieved that some of our supporters don’t select the test team.

If Buttler had contributed a little more with his keeping, the total we chased may not have been as big!!!

Online Bath Hammer

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 08:02:25 AM »
Too true. They are far too protective of England players. It’s ridiculous that one they get anywhere near the team what got them there, playing for their county is disregarded, especially when the county in question provides the best possible playing environment. On the Buttler question, he contributed far more to the win than the much lauded Root & that was not a one off! As I’ve said before, I’m relieved that some of our supporters don’t select the test team.

If Buttler had contributed a little more with his keeping, the total we chased may not have been as big!!!

Most keepers have occasional poor games but as I’ve said I’m not against playing him as a batsman & bringing in Foakes.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 08:13:56 AM »

Most keepers have occasional poor games but as I’ve said I’m not against playing him as a batsman & bringing in Foakes.

Do you really think he is one of the best 6 batters England have available??

Offline Andy

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2020, 12:02:37 PM »
If the Alastair Cook of 2020 is the best we've got, then we then we are in trouble!

Offline Perov

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
If the Alastair Cook of 2020 is the best we've got, then we then we are in trouble!

Sir Alistair has been unlucky with two dodgy LBW decisions in consecutive matches.

Offline Andy

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 12:58:23 PM »

Sir Alistair has been unlucky with two dodgy LBW decisions in consecutive matches.

He admitted himself that once bowlers worked out their line’s against him his days were numbered at the top level. Great player, but more limited than Gooch who became able to take on the best (albeit once he reached his mid 30s) being able to play pace and spin, building patient innings’ and/or flaying the bowling in a run chase.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2020, 07:32:28 PM »
Due to family bereavement Dan Lawrence has left the England bubble .