Author Topic: K*nt  (Read 9379 times)

Offline firehazard

• Global Moderator
Re: K*nt
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2020, 08:45:03 AM »
I remember a clearly drunk John Arlott rambling on ...

I remember going to see Mr Arlott doing a talk and discussion at Romford library back in the day... early 1970s I guess. He was always one of my favourites, although I did have to forgive him for referring to the local football club as Romford Town. My dad and I were season ticket holders at Romford. Possibly we were the season ticket holders.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2020, 09:37:32 AM »
I don’t mind the BBC Essex guys. It’s difficult to hit the right note when commentating. I remember a clearly drunk John Arlott rambling on and Johnners was more of a look at me commentator. Jim Laker and Richie Benaud were by far the best, but tv commentary is easier. Even The Don is ok in small doses, like arsenic.

John A lived on Alderney in his latter days. The roads are narrow there and he was sometimes seen driving up the Main Street, bouncing off parked cars.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2020, 09:56:54 AM »
I don’t mind the BBC Essex guys. It’s difficult to hit the right note when commentating. I remember a clearly drunk John Arlott rambling on and Johnners was more of a look at me commentator. Jim Laker and Richie Benaud were by far the best, but tv commentary is easier. Even The Don is ok in small doses, like arsenic.

John A lived on Alderney in his latter days. The roads are narrow there and he was sometimes seen driving up the Main Street, bouncing off parked cars.
John Arlott "driving up the Main Street, bouncing off parked cars"? Now that doesn't surprise me. I remember some of his wine-soaked John Player League commentaries of his later years
Richie Benaud was the best ever TV commentator by a mile. Jim Laker was a miserable old sod

Offline Andy

« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2020, 11:02:17 AM »
Jim Laker was a Yorkshireman. He used to chortle when Botham hammered the Aussies all over the shop in ‘81...reminded him of ‘56?

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2020, 11:34:24 AM »
Andy , are you implying  "miserable old sod" = "Yorkshireman"?

Offline Andy

« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2020, 02:00:01 PM »
Andy , are you implying  "miserable old sod" = "Yorkshireman"?

If t’cap fits, la’ad. If t’cap fits...