Author Topic: Members Forum 16/7  (Read 2536 times)

Online bwildered

• Administrator
Members Forum 16/7
« on: July 16, 2020, 06:27:22 PM »
Red ball fixtures out Fri 24/7 - southern group with Surrey, Middlesex, Kent , Sussex and Hants .

White ball fixtures out end of August .

All Behind closed doors games due to layout /space at County Ground due to one way system hard to implement , unless COVID rules changed , but very unlikely. 

No second X1

Loss income £2m , loss of profit £1m - income of membership 400k - No refunds on membership but will decide options for next season by . Club recognize the difficult times for all and value your support.

Yearbook posted to life members this week.

Offline nat

Re: Members Forum 16/7
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 07:22:50 PM »
No refunds of membership? Poor show.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 08:15:34 PM »
Access to improved livestream -  another camera and better quality images [unclear whether this is open to all or just members]

Looking to enhance membership options for next season to acknowledge this year.

Dan Lawrence likely to be with England squad all August.

Forum will be uploaded to the website later this week

Offline Postman

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 08:33:17 PM »
The management team did their best to sound upbeat, but I was more depressed than I've been so far after this. It seems clear there won't be any spectators for the home red ball games and not many, if any, for the T20.  Possibly there will be a chance of seeing some of the away games at bigger grounds but priority inevitably will go to home members and not many people will chance a trip if they might be turned away when they get there. The elephant in the room, I felt, was what happens next year if life remains restricted. Clubs could hardly afford another season like this one, and the spectre of big city franchise teams in all cricket looms ever larger.

Offline vim

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »
I wrote to the club to request a refund as there would be nothing to watch live. Also I stated that I did not wish a deferment as we could be in the same position next year. I receive a reply stating that nothing had been decided as yet, quoting the AGM.

In the club rules does extending non life membership beyond annually require a rule change?

Another elephant in the room is how many members are no longer around to renew their membership. A couple of years ago a member in the River stand stated that everyone here is on some form of medication. Two members piped up no I am not, and that was it.

Online bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 09:18:00 AM »
Further info -
AGM would be end of second week August .
Decision on membership options for next season would be released 30 July.
Worry that players on short term contracts would not be retained,, talks taken place with players eg Sir A Cook and Tendo.
Everyone happy with streamed forums and happy to continue.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 09:38:13 AM »
I do not understand why someone on a short term contract should not be retained. Surely they can be offered a similar deal for next season as they will still be required?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 10:26:57 AM »
I do not understand why someone on a short term contract should not be retained. Surely they can be offered a similar deal for next season as they will still be required?

The club are looking at a huge loss this year so they may have to release 'fringe' players to reduce the squad.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 10:31:09 AM »
Hurry - stadiums will be open in October ! Remind me, when does the cricket season finish?? September - silly me!

Offline nat

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 10:49:10 AM »

The club are looking at a huge loss this year so they may have to release 'fringe' players to reduce the squad.
How much are the chairman and CEO paid?

Online bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 01:45:16 PM »
 The question regards short term contracts arose because, Colchester United released four  players (now known has the Colchester Four ) has their current contracts were to expire and so would not be retained although season end was still unsure with play off fixtures still to play. One left instantly, while the other three to their credit, although optional, wished to fulfil the fixtures.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 04:06:01 AM »
If the club are smart they’d give members the option of a refund. They could even offer a structured reward system for those who wish to let the club keep their membership money. For example....75% refund - free bit of merchandise from the club shop. 50% refund - free ticket to a Blast match. 25% refund - day of hospitality at a red ball match. No refund - invitation to a dedicated Q&A evening with the playing squad, specifically the big names like Cook, Tendo etc.

Give members a reason to let the club keep their money. They want to be valued by the club they support and this would be a way to do that.

As for the retained players, we reap what we sow by offering deals to deadwood like Quinn which are now clogging up the budget. Players like him and Chopra aren’t needed anymore. Just save money and give the academy kids a chance instead.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 06:28:30 AM »
I think Alex is right. A structured reward system would be good. I don't particularly want my sub back; I've spent the money and it's not as if the club is the same sort of commercial organisation as a gym.

TBH, unless there's a vaccine or some equally effective prophylactic measure, I'm rather doubtful as to whether I'll ever get back to Chelmsford to watch cricket again! And that makes me sad.

Offline Andy

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »
I agree with Alex's ideas. I think that Square is using the non American definition of prophylactic. I think.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 04:15:31 PM »
There ought to be something for annual members. I'm a life member so no personal axe to grind. I'm a season ticket holder at London rugby league. They've come up with 3 options involving entry to any Autumn games should a crowd be allowed, a replica shirt and a guest ticket for a fixture in 2021 or a partial refund (2 home games were playef before lockdown). I assume football clubs have made some sort of partial refund?