Author Topic: New Format .  (Read 6559 times)

Offline IlfordEagle

Re: New Format .
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2020, 07:55:43 PM »
If social distancing is still required next year, but crowds in stadiums are allowed,  I imagine the championship could be played fairly normally with a cap on attendance. Essex have clearly got a problem at Chelmsford where the gangways, especially on the public side are too tight so there would have to be an enforced one way system. T20 would be a huge problem. You wouldn't get the crowds in to make it pay.

Funnily enough out grounds might be a better solution - especially if people were told to bring their own seat! Castle Park and, dare I mention it, Garon Park have more space and adjacent car parking.

Wherever we play it might have to be one out/one in for the gents though!!!!

Very true re the CC, the fans for that are generally more civilised & understanding than many T20 fans.

Offline Andy

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2020, 07:26:39 PM »
Use Garons Park?  Has hell frozen over?

Offline stewyww

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2020, 07:53:57 AM »

Re: your comment above, and your attempted "witticism" about Southend United in another thread, you clearly have a problem with south-east Essex.
Pray tell what wonderful part of the county you are blessed to live in.

Offline nat

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2020, 09:49:11 AM »

Re: your comment above, and your attempted "witticism" about Southend United in another thread, you clearly have a problem with south-east Essex.
Well I was brought up in SE Essex, still visit occasionally and I have a problem with it. Overpopulated, chavvy and ugly. No, I'm not talking about myself.

Offline vim

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »
I can see that a remark about Southend United is witty. Every time I see a story about their antics in the Echo, I immediately start laughing.

Offline smandlej

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
I was born in Southend and lived there (apart from 2-3 years when I worked away) until we moved up here in 2009.  Used to love my home town, got to hate it (and the south in general) by the time we left.  Have only been back 3 times and it gets worse each time: to be honest, I don't see us going back there except for a special occasion.  Both having worked in London for some years, if we never go to London again in our lives it will be too soon.

Lynda

Offline Andy

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2020, 01:11:13 PM »
Well I was brought up in SE Essex, still visit occasionally and I have a problem with it. Overpopulated, chavvy and ugly. No, I'm not talking about myself.

Don’t worry about him, Nat. He pops up occasionally. Virtue signalling.

Offline stewyww

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2020, 02:37:02 PM »

No need to patronise. Too ignorant to answer the question?

Offline Andy

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2020, 03:51:16 PM »

I have connections with the south of the county that go way back. Ironically your overreaction epitomises what Nat and the others are referring to.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2020, 03:57:09 PM »
Can we keep discussion on cricket please?

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2020, 04:20:08 PM »
Nah, this is fun

**Grabs popcorn and sits on the sofa......in Essex!!

Offline stewyww

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2020, 09:37:01 PM »

I have connections with the south of the county that go way back. Ironically your overreaction epitomises what Nat and the others are referring to.
You are the one who started getting personal, don't forget that.
I just asked a reasonable question about why you had it in for Southend. Obviously some people read about stereotypes and believe what they read. Just didn't expect it from people on this site.
Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised.

Offline Mog

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2020, 09:27:32 AM »
Wherever we play it might have to be one out/one in for the gents though!!!!

And what about the ladies?

Same thing I suspect! Some of these CV19 protocols are fraught. I suspect the lack of space at Chelmsford makes it really difficult. I see the T20 fixtures are out with the knock stages in October when crowds may be allowed.

This is the crux it has been and will continue to be on every occasion Chelmsford is more than half-full. The 'fantasy' ground redevelopment in its David East vanity guise or the more recent, vague and frankly ridiculous; 'best non-test match ground in the country' do not remedy the lack of circulation space on the footprint, nor the single access road serving the site.
Its does sadden me to say, but ECCC have to investigate relocating...to avoid being left behind.

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2020, 09:49:24 AM »

I recall that you needed a jumper there even in August.

Barren Park doesn't have much going for it but you can't deny there's plenty of room available.

Offline nat

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2020, 11:13:43 AM »

I recall that you needed a jumper there even in August.

Barren Park doesn't have much going for it but you can't deny there's plenty of room available.

you also need a tin hat to protect you from the golf balls.