Author Topic: Eng v Windies - 2020 season .  (Read 6622 times)

Offline oldhasbeen

Re: Eng v Windies - 2020 season .
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2020, 08:00:29 AM »
If Herr Burns is the next in line after Root, then we are in trouble.
Not quite sure what the problem with Burns is, even if he does look a bit like Lucifer. Please elaborate!

IMHO there is zero chance that Stokes will be replaced as V-C this summer unless he's injured or does something really stupid off-field. One big boo boo as captain (i.e. choosing to bat on Thursday) isn't enough to warrant it.

Offline Andy

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2020, 03:58:24 PM »
Rory Burns favoured a 1930s comb over hairstyle which looked like a Spanish civil war George Orwell.

Someone else, who shall remain anonymous, likened RB to that little Austrian painter who got ideas above his station.

Not inferring that RB has any fascist leanings at all. However I believe that little Austrian did intend to invade this country and make Surrey perpetual County Champions...

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 12:05:39 PM »
From Spoons' comments yesterday it's pretty obvious Denley's out but Buttler's still in.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2020, 10:01:26 AM »
"Interesting" selection now Archer's ruled himself out - idiot! no doubt the Windies will be pleased.

I'd guess Ollie Robinson will be the man out.

Not our best bowling attack, but should get a lot of help form the weather (Looking at the grey skies surely it's put-em-in conditions?) and a lot of batting depth, Bess at 10? I'd bat Woakes above Buttler.

Offline nat

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2020, 10:27:32 AM »
Robinson should play. Better bowler than Woakes and a handy bat.

Offline Andy

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2020, 12:10:19 PM »
Dull and windy here in Manchester. But that's enough about me, should be good swing bowling conditions. Hope we can bat well enough to get the wimdoes batting on a bunsen later on.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2020, 01:06:09 PM »
How does Roston Chase continue to get wickets against England?

"Burns' bat was socially distanced from his pad" - TMS website

Offline Andy

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2020, 03:08:54 PM »

Simple. He bowls over arm. I wouldn't trust this England team to open a ketchup bottle.

Offline jwb

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2020, 06:19:52 PM »

Simple. He bowls over arm. I wouldn't trust this England team to open a ketchup bottle.
Does he bowl a flipper then?

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2020, 10:22:24 AM »
Well, I suppose we can't complain about 469-9 declared, even if the Windies bowlers were rather unlucky, lord knows how many times they beat the bat or edges didn't carry. Stokes, however, was magnificent anyway and Sibley looks like the attritional opener we've needed for years.d

Seeing the creaking state of Gabriel and Joseph being off the field makes me think that resting Wood & Anderson wasn't a bad move.

Offline Andy

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2020, 01:12:12 PM »

Does he bowl a flipper then?

He gets some spin but it’s usually bad batting. Nothing against Royston (presumably named after his father’s favourite comedian) but anyone tweaking the ball at Old Trafford gets turn and wickets if they bowl long enough against gormless people in Alice bands who should “get th’bloody ‘air cut” to quote a mythical Yorkshire cricketer of days gone past.

Offline Andy

« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »
Well, I suppose we can't complain about 469-9 declared, even if the Windies bowlers were rather unlucky, lord knows how many times they beat the bat or edges didn't carry. Stokes, however, was magnificent anyway and Sibley looks like the attritional opener we've needed for years.d

Seeing the creaking state of Gabriel and Joseph being off the field makes me think that resting Wood & Anderson wasn't a bad move.

I like Stokes. Gave those ruffians a damn good thrashing...although I think I may need to stop reading the Daily Express website.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2020, 06:58:14 PM »
England bowlers winked there way through the Windies first innings, although unable to knock them over before follow on total. Will be intresting what total Capt Root gives them to chase, but 80 mins morning batting should be enough to have another bowl before lunch .
Wonder why Crawley came in at three after Buttler was unfortunately out chasing a wide one, has Capt Root might have been more effective.

Offline nat

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2020, 08:15:44 PM »
England bowlers winked there way through the Windies first innings, although unable to knock them over before follow on total. Will be intresting what total Capt Root gives them to chase, but 80 mins morning batting should be enough to have another bowl before lunch .
Wonder why Crawley came in at three after Buttler was unfortunately out chasing a wide one, has Capt Root might have been more effective.
Nah need to leave around 90 overs to have the option of a 2nd new ball. Got to go bezerk with the bat for 6 overs tomorrow morning then pull out whatever.

Offline Andy

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2020, 11:06:55 AM »
Great hitting by Stokes. However it is very cloudy here, although a bit windy. Need to get those lights on.