Author Topic: Good news for TMS Fans!  (Read 1932 times)

Offline oldhasbeen

Good news for TMS Fans!
« on: June 07, 2020, 07:32:04 AM »
At last the  absurd relic of a commentator that is Geoffrey Boycott has irritated the hell out of me for the lat time. Goodbye, good riddance and DON'T COME BACK!!

Trivia note: My first recollection of a "backronym" was on an Aussie banner in the late 70s, I think it went something like:

Boring
Odious
Yawn-inducing
Cumbersome
Obnoxious
Tiresome
Tedious

... all rather prescient about his commentary later on

Online nat

Re: Good news for TMS Fans!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 07:36:25 AM »
Do I gather you are not a fan?

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 07:45:46 AM »
Could be replaced by his No1 fan, Thersa May .

Offline Andy

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 09:43:00 AM »
Those are very long words for an Australian. Maybe they got a Kiwi to help out with that banner?  ;) ;)

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 10:00:40 AM »
Well said Old Has Been, agree with every word!
Never has such a selfish player represented his County & Country as Boycott, plus he ducked out for 3 years when he didn't fancy facing Lillee & Thomson at their peak. A poor Captain of Yorkshire who always divided opinion, worth reading books about him by Don Mosey & also much covered by John Hampshire in his autobiography which tells you much about the man.

Offline Andy

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 10:13:42 AM »
I will sort of miss GB on TMS. There is a tradition of having a comedy Yorkshireman in the commentary team.  Generally Agnew (whom I’m not a great fan of) has shut Boyks up at the right time.

Online nat

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 11:23:08 AM »
I will sort of miss GB on TMS. There is a tradition of having a comedy Yorkshireman in the commentary team.  Generally Agnew (whom I’m not a great fan of) has shut Boyks up at the right time.

Yep. No doubt the BBC will replace him with someone from the LBGTXQ 'community' to ensure their quota.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 11:42:51 AM »

Yep. No doubt the BBC will replace him with someone from the LBGTXQ 'community' to ensure their quota.
My big fear this that they replace him with Botham

Offline JasonP

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 11:52:33 AM »
Never has such a selfish player represented his County & Country as Boycott, plus he ducked out for 3 years when he didn't fancy facing Lillee & Thomson at their peak. A poor Captain of Yorkshire who always divided opinion, worth reading books about him by Don Mosey & also much covered by John Hampshire in his autobiography which tells you much about the man.

That is a myth.  Boycotts break from international cricket started before anyone in England had ever heard of Jeff Thomson.  He'd never taken a Test wicket before playing them in 74/75.  Lillee also was coming off a very serious back injury and had hardly played for a couple of years before the England series.

Online nat

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 01:09:40 PM »

That is a myth.  Boycotts break from international cricket started before anyone in England had ever heard of Jeff Thomson.  He'd never taken a Test wicket before playing them in 74/75.  Lillee also was coming off a very serious back injury and had hardly played for a couple of years before the England series.
Agree. Boycs couldn't handle left arm medium bowlers, specifically Solkar (India).

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 08:40:35 PM »

Agree. Boycs couldn't handle left arm medium bowlers, specifically Solkar (India).
True, Boyks originally dropped out of Test cricket when he was having problems with the innocuous left-armer Solkar, but he was picked for the Aussie tour of 1975 and bottled out.  Thompson was indeed an unknown quantity but Lillee most definitely wan't, and Max Walker was pretty useful too. Boycott wasn't seen in England colours against the great WI pace attack of 1976, and didn't make himself available until calmer waters prevailed. As Tony Greig put it "Boycott is where the fast bowlers aren't" .

Offline Andy

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »
I think a little bit of context is required.  Whilst a fearsome, albeit erratic fast bowler since his debut in 1971, Lillee had broken his back and was slowly coming back to bowling. Thompson had made a very unimpressive start to his career, partly because he played with a broken foot. The remodelled Lillee and fully fit Thompson were actually a bit of a nasty shock to the England team. 

Similarly we tend to forget that when the Windies came here in 1976 it came off the back of a hammering from Lillian Thompson but with help from a ‘motivational speech’ by the England captain they got their collective act together.

Consequently, in retrospect, it looks like Boycs ducked out of a couple of tough series. However, this is coloured by Tony Grovel’s snide remark that merely deflects from his own arrogance and stupidity.  The Windies of 1980/1 were worse than that of 1976 and Boycott didn’t flinch from that one, albeit being past his best by then.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 05:03:30 PM »
Lenny Pascoe and milkman Rodney Hogg were no trundlers also around the same time .

Offline Andy

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 05:20:21 PM »
Lenny Pascoe and milkman Rodney Hogg were no trundlers also around the same time .

Exactly.