Author Topic: Members Forum - 28 May  (Read 2535 times)

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
Re: Members Forum - 28 May
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »
I hope to be there and hope to see some of you. You can submit questions ...

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 02:40:19 PM »
Perhaps someone could kindly enquire as to what has happened to the yearbook? Thank you

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 10:06:57 AM »
Does anyone have the link?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 12:42:29 PM »

I've had an e-mail with a link to follow - then I need to enter my name, e-mail and membership number to get the actual link.

The e-mail says the session will go on the website.

Online nat

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 01:30:00 PM »

I've had an e-mail with a link to follow - then I need to enter my name, e-mail and membership number to get the actual link.

The e-mail says the session will go on the website.

So why the secrecy for the session?! (rhetorical question!)

Not as if anything important will be announced?

Will be interesting to know how much money the club lost last year. Very concerned about the financial performance of the club. I see Slurry made a £6m profit last year and Lanky also made big profits. Essex need to act fast or they will be left far behind.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 01:57:41 PM »
No idea - I now have my own personalised link to the session at 6pm.

It will go on the website and we'll know if it's been edited. I guess they want to make sure only Members 'attend'.

Nat - have you asked that question?

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 07:19:53 PM »
Very much the same info has available in the members cricket magazine .
Everything on hold until date for resumption. Possible packages regards regarding refunds .

Get extra 1m from ECB from last season World Cup plus extra from prize money hence 750k profit.
No debt at present 2m in investments/ reserves .
45% income for this season comes from ECB .

If possible 6 game Championship - will have to go wth it.
If possible regional T20 might have 500 attendance but with members ballot priority .

Ground developments on hold.
New floodlights complete.
Only handrails to complete Riverside entrance.
Yearbook at printers and will be mailed out to members.
Colchester Festival - never say never but unlikely due to money .

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 07:22:54 PM »
Thanks Bewildered for the interesting summary.

Online nat

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 08:03:01 PM »
Ground re-development has got to happen...soon. come on chaps...hands in pockets. There must be some high rollers frequenting this forum.

Offline Postman

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 08:19:45 PM »
Ground re-development has got to happen...soon. come on chaps...hands in pockets. There must be some high rollers frequenting this forum.
From what John Faragher it seems that we are waiting for the ECB to come up with some cash which they obviously aren't going to do in the present state of affairs. I would have been interested to see what his answer would have been to the member who asked why we didn't reconsider our "no debt" policy when interest rates are so low.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
There was talk of a regional red ball competition rather than an official championship.

Anyway if its going on the website you can all watch it!

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 09:17:06 AM »
Apologies everyone for the briefness, but tried to just get the key points .

Line went wobbly for a few minutes, but think got the end of discussion regards Somerset points deduction being forwarded to next season rather than applied to this seasons sanitised version of   A championship rather than The Championship . Can anyone confirm ?

Concerns for players welfare/ wellbeing - Players are not in practice but all in contact.

Generally a feeling of togetherness that we are all in this situation . Everyone doing there  utmost for the good of the club. Full credit to ALL for the online experience, perhaps it might become a regular feature for those unable to attend .

Offline Slogger

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 10:33:01 AM »
Apparently the Chairman made the point abut the Somerset points deduction being applied to 2021 rather than 2020 at a Chairman's meeting this week. He reported a degree of Essex envy - something to do with us having no debt and not having diversified into leisure and hospitality businesses that are now mothballed.

Scary stuff about finance - a £750k profit last year, driven by £1m from the ECB as a result of a good world cup; unexpected prize money; and windfall profits on investments.

All of of that slammed into reverse this year with no cash coming in. Some members have asked how they can donate/help financially.

The club are starting to look at socially distanced crowds late season and would prioritise members for this (maybe some sort of ballot for a ticket). They expect there will be some cricket in August and September. If we start in August it will be 5 red ball games and some sort of final on a regional basis plus T20 games. If it starts in September just T20. Playing in early October is on the table.

Unsurprisingly the club is also thinking through what 2021 may look like. I suppose if this virus is still swirling about in the population next year, and the medical people I have spoken to reckon it will be, we're looking at behind closed doors/skeleton crowds for a while.

As an aside this is the first members' forum I have attended. As I don't live in Chelmsford and work in London weekday meetings just don't work for me. A combination of working from home and zoom meant I could join and I'd advocate this approach going forward, let's have this as the new normal.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
I think the point was made by John F that the 12 point deduction should be rolled forward to next season - I don't think any ECB decision has been made.

I thought it worked well as you could hear the questions and answers - no barracking from drunk Surrey members we got one year. Additional questions could be asked via the Q & A button and you could read those. It was a webinar rather than a Zoom meeting ie only the panel were visible and they could not see us.

Ronnie was asked to convey good wishes to the team and seemed genuinely touched that people wanted to make sure the club had the money it needed e.g by possible crowd funding.

Clarity of who the ECB were giving money to and why was being pursued - Essex must not be penalised because our finances are in good order.