Author Topic: Yearbook?  (Read 2509 times)

Offline golden duck

Yearbook?
« on: April 26, 2020, 10:05:49 AM »
What is everyone expecting in terms of a yearbook? Do you think we will see one this summer?

Aware it is trivial and many aren't interested in them these days but it's part of summer for me, hope we see something published.

Anyone heard anything from inside the club?

Offline LeedsExile

Re: Yearbook?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 10:53:42 AM »
Interesting question. I assume much of the work was done before the current situation developed. If ever a task was made for someone to work from home on it is surely this one. I obtained the Yorkshire yearbook online from the publishers. Therefore I can see no reason why Essex should not be able to produce one soon. A little bit of extra income too awaits.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 11:19:00 AM »
The Yearbook is the history of last year - there is absolutely no reason it should not be produced.

We've had no members magazine either ...

Offline Slogger

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »
I assume the admin staff are furloughed so doubt there's anyone about much to organise publication?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 05:09:16 PM »
The shop is still up and running and someone is sending e-mails.

Offline Perov

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 06:32:04 PM »
I pointed out a mistake in this year's yearbook to Aztec, and on 3rd Feb he replied it was too late to get it changed for this year, presumably because the yearbook was already in the process of being printed.
I expect the cost of sending them out to all members could be expensive, and  of course they now charge members a nominal fee for the book.
The logistics of this could be the reason for the delay.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 06:33:30 PM »
The 2021 yearbook is going to be an interesting read. :-[

Offline vim

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 07:30:39 PM »
When the yearbook was published after the death of Peter Edwards it containing stats and scorecards and not much else. What would the 2021 issue have left.

I miss the yearbooks of old where there was a photo of the young player of the year trophy being awarded. Which was a poisioned chalice after what would happen to the holder at the end of the following season.

The reports of the various Essex age group teams, where the writer would finish with a comment along the lines of, unfortunately the standard of behavoir on tour was below that which was expected.

A picture when you look at it carefully tells its own story. There was one of an Essex player being presented with a large box of wine bottles for an achievement. The look on the face of the man from the Wine Merchants was saying hurry up and take the photo before I drop this heavy crate on my foot.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:06:40 PM by vim »

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 07:03:04 AM »
A good opportunity to contact all members in send yearbook by post and package with  request for a donation to the Essex/NHS charity for a addition donation .

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 02:49:30 PM »
Still no sign of this elusive item. At the recent Members forum they said it was at the printers. What on earth are they doing with it? Is it being handwritten by Monks?

Offline Slogger

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 03:01:42 PM »
I wonder if the printers are being hampered by this dreadful virus. I know from what's happening at various friends' workplaces that a lot of precautions have to be taken. I'm lucky - I've been working at home since March but others I know are just getting back, furloughed or redundant.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 04:14:49 PM »
Slogger I feel that you are being far too charitable here. It is not as if there is a team of people hand setting the type. A couple of buttons pressed is probably nearer the mark. My monthly edition of the Cricketer magazine has arrived on time today so they have reliable printers.

Offline vim

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 07:44:35 PM »
I am feeling stuff the Yearbook and give me my money back as I have moved on.

Offline Mog

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 11:14:43 AM »
As vim and others state, the post Peter Edwards yearbook has been incredibly and consistently poor. I get the impression that the aforementioned put more time and effort into writing one key article in any pre 2001 edition than has gone into the volume's produced since.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 03:57:14 PM »
Might now be printed in Europe . If it can be left another couple weeks, could have a appendix for this season added, hence two seasons for the price of one !