Author Topic: Coronavirus to hit the Blast!  (Read 2335 times)

Offline SirChef26

Coronavirus to hit the Blast!
« on: March 12, 2020, 07:43:55 PM »
So according to the “experts” the coronavirus is set to peak here between 4-18th June. Right in the midst of the Vitality Blast. Bet the ECB are absolutely buzzing. The Blast decimated whilst the Virus probably disappears just before the Hundred begins.

Then you’ve got the start of the season, I could have started this thread in the County Championship section. Something tells me this could be a very very bad year for the club and county cricket. If the Blast gets hit by the virus we’re talking about the future of the smaller counties being at risk with the amount of lost revenue.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:58:16 AM by Alex »

Offline nat

Re: Coronavirus to hit the Blast!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 09:20:05 PM »
So according to the “experts” the coronavirus is set to peak here between 4-18th June. Right in the midst of the Vitality Blast. Bet the ECB are absolutely buzzing. The Blast decimated whilst the Virus probably disappears just before the Hundred begins.

The you’ve got the start of the season, I could have started this thread in the County Championship section. Something tells me this could be a very very bad year for the club and county cricket. If the Blast gets hit by the virus we’re talking about the future of the smaller counties being at risk with the amount of lost revenue.

B******s to the so called experts. The virus is already in decline in China and nearly so in Italy. Fully expect the situation to quieten down in the UK by the end of April.

Yours medically,

Dr Nat.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 08:50:46 AM »

The you’ve got the start of the season, I could have started this thread in the County Championship section. Something tells me this could be a very very bad year for the club and county cricket. If the Blast gets hit by the virus we’re talking about the future of the smaller counties being at risk with the amount of lost revenue.

B******s to the so called experts. The virus is already in decline in China and nearly so in Italy. Fully expect the situation to quieten down in the UK by the end of April.

Yours medically,

Dr Nat.

Yes but.. we are about 6 weeks behind Italy

and we are handling it differently in this country .  Heard a couple of experts on the radio saying that while cases are on the decline - it's due to the shutdown. It could come back once people start circulating. Adamitally it was those arguing that  the British idea of 'healthy' people catching it to build up immunity in the country that said this - but there could be some truth.

More to the point - what's happening to our team - they have left but it's been silent. Other counties, Surrey etc have cancelled their overseas trips.

Offline bobw

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 09:25:04 AM »
This could be good for the county championship. Keeping 2 metres from each other should not be too much of a problem.  :)

Offline Slogger

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 10:07:57 AM »
MCC game in Sri Lanka now off

Offline Andy

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 12:14:23 PM »
This could be good for the county championship. Keeping 2 metres from each other should not be too much of a problem.  :)

No slips, then?

Offline Andy

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 12:18:36 PM »

Yours medically,

Dr Nat.

If any of us are spared, we'll hold you to this prediction.  Mind you, Winnie the Pooh seems happier now.

Offline nat

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 12:40:54 PM »

Yours medically,

Dr Nat.

If any of us are spared, we'll hold you to this prediction.  Mind you, Winnie the Pooh seems happier now.

Thinning the herd is long overdue.

Offline oldhasbeen

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 09:32:19 PM »

Yours medically,

Dr Nat.
From Twitter:
Jamie Bartlett@JamieJBartlett
Two weeks ago there were only a couple of experts on epidemiology & virology on here. By last week it was 100, then 500, now it’s in the thousands. Who know where we’ll be by summer. Containment has failed. It’s time to move on to Delay & I pray it will slow down the growth.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 10:59:13 PM »

Yours medically,

Dr Nat.
You have no idea how much I hope you're right. Although I fear you may be wrong.

Whisper it very quietly but if the worst does happen and this looks like extending well into June, I would not be surprised in the slightest if the Counties try to get the Blast moved down the calendar, even if it means competing against the hundred, scrapping the 50 over comp for this season or even the County Championship (assuming all the early season games are already abandoned). Like it or not, the Blast is every non test match county's golden goose. The financial implications of this virus wiping most of it out is unthinkable and the Counties will do whatever it takes to save it.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 10:46:25 AM »
At least each county will have the 1.3 mill payment from the Hundred

Offline Andy

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 01:43:26 PM »

Yours medically,

Dr Nat.

Thinning the herd is long overdue.

You’re alright, you are the ‘right side’ of 50?

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2020, 01:45:13 PM »

Is that guaranteed of the tournament is disrupted?

Offline Postman

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2020, 01:56:15 PM »

Is that guaranteed of the tournament is disrupted?
No, because the cash has come from the TV rights deals and if Sky and BBC don't get the product they contracted for, they will want compensation. Maybe this risk is insured, maybe not.....