Author Topic: South Africa test series  (Read 7001 times)

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
Re: South Africa test series
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 02:23:22 PM »
Yes notice they also have a Africaans  commentary team.
KP - Much better served saving the rhino .

'I've never met a nice South African...'

I guess most on here are far too young to remember "Spitting Image"!

Yes - I'm sure most do but was it really a reference to that song?

Offline nat

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »

Yes (sigh).

Offline Andy

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 02:55:12 PM »

Yes (sigh).

Ah, Nat. Only joking - I have myself met plenty/some/a couple of nice Saffers. 

Also, bear in mind that my original idea for a 'witty' comment involved Rhino horn.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2020, 05:59:05 PM »
 Also only spoke to Ken once . He had gone to retrieve the ball from the boundary . Told him the ball was over there, pointing to the other side of the nearby covers, which his reply was " Gee , thanks ."

Suggest Martyn King will remain the U's leading goal scorer, particularly if you show goal  scoring attributes, larger club come calling quicker these days .

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2020, 10:36:04 PM »
I'd echo that about Ken McEwan, I spoke similarly to him when he fielded on the boundary, always seemed a nice guy, great player too, I believe our best ever Overseas & a wonderful batsman to watch - lucky enough to see a lot of his Essex career.

Offline Andy

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2020, 01:04:28 PM »
I'd echo that about Ken McEwan, I spoke similarly to him when he fielded on the boundary, always seemed a nice guy, great player too, I believe our best ever Overseas & a wonderful batsman to watch - lucky enough to see a lot of his Essex career.

Yes. Quiet bloke who was the 'audience' for the more vociferous characters in the ECCC team. 

Real loss to the international game - at least the Pollock's and Richards' were able to demonstrate their power in (some) 'proper' Test matches during their prime.

I saw him in his last Sunday League game when we beat Yorkshire for the title.  Very moving.

Offline paulcm

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »
Also only spoke to Ken once . He had gone to retrieve the ball from the boundary . Told him the ball was over there, pointing to the other side of the nearby covers, which his reply was " Gee , thanks ."

Suggest Martyn King will remain the U's leading goal scorer, particularly if you show goal  scoring attributes, larger club come calling quicker these days .

I don’t think King’s (I remember him well!)record is in any danger— certainly not if you are persisting with the likes of Theo Robinson up front
. Mind you, not sure if you can include Luke Plodder and his ever-increasing  tally of own goals .

Offline nat

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2020, 01:59:55 PM »

Yes. Quiet bloke who was the 'audience' for the more vociferous characters in the ECCC team. 

Real loss to the international game - at least the Pollock's and Richards' were able to demonstrate their power in (some) 'proper' Test matches during their prime.

I saw him in his last Sunday League game when we beat Yorkshire for the title.  Very moving.
Yep i was there too.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2020, 03:45:40 PM »
Superb leveller by England on the FIFTH day. Test match cricket at it's best .

Offline Andy

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »

Yep i was there too.

Were you anywhere near that lad who had an epileptic fit when Ken McEwan was out?  Or when the crowd started singing Geoffrey Boycott for England?

Offline nat

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2020, 05:01:33 PM »

Yep i was there too.

Were you anywhere near that lad who had an epileptic fit when Ken McEwan was out?  Or when the crowd started singing Geoffrey Boycott for England?
I can't say I was. You paint a very colourful picture of the crowd. All i can remember is Kenny Mac getting a standing ovation when he walked out to bat and he simply doffed his cap to all parts of the ground in response. Classy to the end.

Offline Andy

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2020, 05:35:05 PM »
I can't say I was. You paint a very colourful picture of the crowd. All i can remember is Kenny Mac getting a standing ovation when he walked out to bat and he simply doffed his cap to all parts of the ground in response. Classy to the end.

It is always more colourful in the cheap seats.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2020, 05:35:29 PM »
My memories are him hitting an enormous 6 out of the old ground at Hastings into South Terrace [the road on the north of the ground].  It was a televised JPL match, Kenny got a 100 but we lost ... I have this on video tape somewhere.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2020, 05:56:30 PM »
My memories are him hitting an enormous 6 out of the old ground at Hastings into South Terrace [the road on the north of the ground].  It was a televised JPL match, Kenny got a 100 but we lost ... I have this on video tape somewhere.

Crikey - I remember that Hastings game! He also got a 100 against Middlesex at Chelmsford in the JPL in 1981 - a classy hundred in a tight but crucial run chase with some sixes at the end.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2020, 05:59:23 PM »
A great win by England today & the argument for 5 day Tests was greatly strengthened today. Alec Stewart , who I have a lot of time for, has come out strongly in favour of 5 day Tests continuing, good for him, just think this finish today wouldn't have happened under new proposals.