Author Topic: London Spirit*  (Read 3112 times)

Offline honkytonk

Re: London Spirit*
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 02:20:40 PM »
Not sure I follow with the offers to leave Essex part??

Offline neil

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 03:38:47 PM »

I think that there is a concern/fear that the 100 teams will have the finances/allure to tempt players away from the non 100 teams. That doesn't look like much of an issue for Essex (at the moment anyway) as most of our big players are contracted until at least 2021.

I guess it also underlines that bringing our own players through is still going to be the best plan for us.

I get the reasons for the negativity about the 100 but I tend to believe it's worth seeing how things pan out. I certainly can't get worked up about the advertising "hype". Happens all the time - best ignored

Offline Andy

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 05:19:44 PM »
I think that, unlike the T20 Blast and other innovations over the past 50 years, there was a clear understanding that these would support the county game.  Even the coloured clothing, mascots etc associated with them do try to develop an identity that appeals to supporters beyond the county stalwarts. 

Whilst The Hundred is also justified in the same way, the plain fact is that the noticeably smaller number of teams taking players away from the county circuit is bad because of the moronic idea that non-cricket people are more likely to identify with a city rather than a county.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 06:50:39 PM »

I think that there is a concern/fear that the 100 teams will have the finances/allure to tempt players away from the non 100 teams. That doesn't look like much of an issue for Essex (at the moment anyway) as most of our big players are contracted until at least 2021.

I guess it also underlines that bringing our own players through is still going to be the best plan for us.

I get the reasons for the negativity about the 100 but I tend to believe it's worth seeing how things pan out. I certainly can't get worked up about the advertising "hype". Happens all the time - best ignored

But there are no Hundred teams, all the counties get a fair share of the cash??  (Well thats the way I understood it??)

Offline neil

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 07:01:46 PM »

But there are no Hundred teams, all the counties get a fair share of the cash??  (Well thats the way I understood it??)

I was thinking more of this

https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/the-hundred-t20-cricket-competition-wages-pay-rise-504021

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »

Look at the players selected - many of them are from the county hosting the fixtures. 'Imports' [ie players from other counties] may well be approached by the local players/ management.