Author Topic: Dan Lawrence  (Read 8922 times)

Offline nat

Re: Dan Lawernce
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2020, 09:42:40 PM »
I have never understood the need for a trigger movement. if you need to move as the ball is bowled then you have the wrong guard or are standing too far/not far enough in your crease.

It is to get your body moving in preparation for receiving the ball (either hitting it or leaving it). Some/many players find it difficult to stand still and then react quickly enough once the ball is bowled.

I'll send you my invoice for this coaching advice.

Offline bobw

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2020, 08:55:07 AM »
I have never understood the need for a trigger movement. if you need to move as the ball is bowled then you have the wrong guard or are standing too far/not far enough in your crease.

It is to get your body moving in preparation for receiving the ball (either hitting it or leaving it). Some/many players find it difficult to stand still and then react quickly enough once the ball is bowled.

But the problem is you then have a moving ball and a moving head. The eyes can not track the ball, especially with fast bowling, well enough to ensure getting in line and timing of the shot.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2020, 09:28:23 AM »
bobw - don't encourage nat or he will be billing the website!

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2021, 12:53:46 PM »
 The future is bright for Dan’s Test career after finishing the two Tours with 248 runs at an average of 27.55 across the five matches he played against Sri Lanka and India.

Offline nat

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2021, 01:03:23 PM »
The future is bright for Dan’s Test career after finishing the two Tours with 248 runs at an average of 27.55 across the five matches he played against Sri Lanka and India.
you are easily pleased if you think an average of 27 is anywhere near good.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2021, 05:05:26 PM »

For his debut tour, in conditions he would not have played in, I think he can be fairly happy with his winter. 

Offline oldhasbeen

Re: Dan Lawrence
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2021, 05:48:00 PM »

For his debut tour, in conditions he would not have played in, I think he can be fairly happy with his winter.
Agreed.
Let's not forget he batted at 3 for two Tests and 7 for the last one. Not where he'd prefer to bat, I'm sure
And Dan ended up with a better batting average that any of the openers, Bairstow or Pope managed.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:27:22 PM by essexfan548 »

Offline nat

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2021, 05:49:44 PM »

Agreed.
Let's not forget he batted at 3 for two Tests and 7 for the last one. Not where he'd prefer to bat, I'm sure
And Dan ended up with a better batting average that any of the openers, Bairstow or Pope managed.
...and the team lost (badly) 3-1
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:26:53 PM by essexfan548 »

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2021, 05:55:33 PM »
If folk are gonna talk about Dan Lawrence on here, can the mods do me a favour and sort out the misspelling of his surname on the thread's title? It's driving me bloody crazy!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 07:50:19 PM by essexfan548 »

Offline Andy

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2021, 06:10:39 PM »

But the problem is you then have a moving ball and a moving head. The eyes can not track the ball, especially with fast bowling, well enough to ensure getting in line and timing of the shot.

Well I guess there's a trade off with any stance. Peter Willey found a two eyed stance worked for him. Mike brearley improved with an upright stance then reverted back right near the end of his career.

Having said that I suspect there's a lot of faddish thinking in coaching...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:26:28 PM by essexfan548 »

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2021, 07:49:45 PM »
If folk are gonna talk about Dan Lawrence on here, can the mods do me a favour and sort out the misspelling of his surname on the thread's title? It's driving me bloody crazy!

I haven't found an easy way but will go throught the thread :)

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2021, 09:53:56 PM »
Done ✔

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2021, 10:03:05 AM »

Agreed.
...and the team lost (badly) 3-1

They did, but that is not what was being spoken about!!!

Offline Crisp

« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2021, 02:19:22 PM »
To me, he wasn't great, just decent, a bit like Tom Westleys attempts to conquer test cricket.

I cannot see where he will get a gig if everyone is available this Summer, which will be great for ECCC.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2021, 04:10:05 PM »
To me, he wasn't great, just decent, a bit like Tom Westleys attempts to conquer test cricket.

I cannot see where he will get a gig if everyone is available this Summer, which will be great for ECCC.

Agree, although Westley had more favourable conditions than Lawrence.