Author Topic: Dan Lawrence  (Read 8770 times)

Offline neil

Re: Dan Lawernce
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 09:28:42 PM »
The success of the past three seasons have been beyond my wildest dreams to be honest and I don’t think anyone (apart no doubt from the usual clueless bookies and the “super fans”) will really be expecting anything like the repeat of them this coming season.
It’s most definitely a time of transition coming up and patience is needed to give the youngsters a real chance to see if they are good enough. Trouble is, if they are not, then I dread to think where we go in 2021 when we will also most likely be without The Chef, Tendo and most crucially, an “England qualified” Harmer!

Lots of ifs and buts

Harmer, himself, reckons it is a long shot that he will get to play for England. Cook is contracted until end of 2021 and who knows what Tendo will do - he might find freedom in not being captain

Might well be two overseas next season so Harmer (if not England qualified) plus a batter?

But you are right - patience will be needed. I hope this message board remembers that.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
Re: Dan Lawrence
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2020, 06:12:46 PM »
Dan got three wickets and bowled 26.2 overs!

Awarded man of the match [see Essex website] ... it's great to see him doing well :)

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2020, 07:49:39 PM »
The success of the past three seasons have been beyond my wildest dreams to be honest and I don’t think anyone (apart no doubt from the usual clueless bookies and the “super fans”) will really be expecting anything like the repeat of them this coming season.
It’s most definitely a time of transition coming up and patience is needed to give the youngsters a real chance to see if they are good enough. Trouble is, if they are not, then I dread to think where we go in 2021 when we will also most likely be without The Chef, Tendo and most crucially, an “England qualified” Harmer!

Some of our colleagues patient...... February’s joke of the month!

Lots of ifs and buts

Harmer, himself, reckons it is a long shot that he will get to play for England. Cook is contracted until end of 2021 and who knows what Tendo will do - he might find freedom in not being captain

Might well be two overseas next season so Harmer (if not England qualified) plus a batter?

But you are right - patience will be needed. I hope this message board remembers that.

Offline Andy

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2020, 05:06:57 PM »
Exactly. Team recruitment is being driven by finance at the moment. The club is not rich and is falling further behind many counties, not least the likes of Somerset (take a look at their finances). The team has massively over-performed in recent years primarily off the backs of a few players, RTD, Harmer, Porter, Masters. The trick is to manage how the team evolves to ensure continued success or at least continued competitiveness. I don't see that managed evolution happening at the moment. If I'm correct then there is a high risk the team will decline very rapidly.

What do you mean by 'managed evolution'?  The club has given contracts to, and then released, a few younger players who've had limited opportunities. Either they won't make it, or the club has been a little premature.

Apart from that, the club hasn't splashed cash on overseas talent - presumably because we haven't got that sort of money or aren't prepared to go out on a limb (as we apparently can't balance the books at the moment after winning a number of trophies over the past 3 seasons). Gloucestershire have hired a star bat, should we have done the same?  or could we have done the same?

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2020, 08:03:44 AM »
Pujara is not a "star bat" in early english conditions. His record is awful. I have seen his struggles for Yorkshire. I do not understand on what basis Glos have also signed Jerome Taylor on a three year deal. He played recently as an overseas in the T20 for Somerset.

Offline Andy

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2020, 11:15:31 AM »
Pujara is not a "star bat" in early english conditions. His record is awful. I have seen his struggles for Yorkshire. I do not understand on what basis Glos have also signed Jerome Taylor on a three year deal. He played recently as an overseas in the T20 for Somerset.

Well, I hope you're right as we don't want Glous leapfrogging over us!  However, it goes to show how difficult it can be to get an overseas star that will perform well for a county - we've had a few 'Lulu's' in our time. 

Offline bobw

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »
Dan follows up his good form with another ton on the first day of the A test.

Offline honkytonk

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2020, 04:37:00 PM »
RE Harmer, if he is one of two overseas players in future, could he not just go back to playing for SA (and Essex)?

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2020, 07:18:35 PM »
That would be too simple! Unfortunately their quota system leads them to pick Maharaj instead. It is beginning too look like Lawrence might be next in line for a test call up. Tom Westley might be unfortunate in inheriting a team in transition.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2020, 10:17:56 AM »
Dan gets quite a mention on this weeks Wisden Weekly Cricket Podcast. They make a fair assessment of where he is at at the moment

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2020, 10:54:54 AM »

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2020, 11:45:18 AM »
Has his own organic style . New style too me !!

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2020, 05:02:01 PM »

Offline bobw

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »
I have never understood the need for a trigger movement. if you need to move as the ball is bowled then you have the wrong guard or are standing too far/not far enough in your crease.