Author Topic: The 100 - the logic of the madhouse?  (Read 10761 times)

Offline Andy

Re: The 100 - the logic of the madhouse?
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2021, 12:20:03 PM »

TM has done a lot of commentating on Sky and always impresses.

Never heard him on Sky.

The boy has obviously got a bright future in that field.

Unless he develops a recurrent vocal chord strain...

Offline Shenfield Eagle

« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2021, 12:59:56 PM »
So they were raving about an 18,000 crowd at the Oval ( with many having free tickets) but failed to mention a T/20 Surrey v Essex often  attracts 27,000 paying customers.

It's an old marketing/PR trick. Once you have sold all the tickets you can, you "give" away all the remaining tickets and you can claim the event is "a sell out". When challenged you advise the seats  are empty are because people didn't turn up!! ECB can then claim how successful it's been.

Offline Suffolk Richard

« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2021, 02:33:17 PM »
I think watching a couple of games so far. Traditionalist need to ask questions on how we are going to attract youngsters into the old formats of the game?Essex like other counties really need to market a fun day out for families.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2021, 07:07:18 PM »
I think watching a couple of games so far. Traditionalist need to ask questions on how we are going to attract youngsters into the old formats of the game?Essex like other counties really need to market a fun day out for families.

A very good point. I stopped going to T20s at Chelmsford as my then primary school aged son didn't like the drunkeness. Chelmsford isn't great for families, but we had several happy family days at Colchester and even Garon Park! Space for the lads to play.

Offline nat

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2021, 07:20:47 PM »

A very good point. I stopped going to T20s at Chelmsford as my then primary school aged son didn't like the drunkeness. ...

I don't blame them. You might have curbed your behaviour until you got home.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2021, 07:33:21 PM »

A very good point. I stopped going to T20s at Chelmsford as my then primary school aged son didn't like the drunkeness. ...

I don't blame them. You might have curbed your behaviour until you got home.

Well he started it by mixing scotch with his pop!

Offline Valentines Park

• In Ron We Trust
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2021, 10:29:02 PM »
I stopped going to T20s at Chelmsford as my then primary school aged son didn't like the drunkeness.

Weekend fixtures were fairly civilised I recall.

Weekdays were definitely a mare though.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2021, 03:36:41 AM »
I stopped going to T20s at Chelmsford as my then primary school aged son didn't like the drunkeness.

Weekend fixtures were fairly civilised I recall.

Weekdays were definitely a mare though.

Yes. We went a few times on a Sunday, which was fine, but then went on a Saturday tea time and although it never threatened to get violent there was no hope of watching the game. That was in 2011 and I didn't do another home T20 until the Sussex game this year. I have done the odd game when we played at Lords or The Oval, but as I no longer work in London I doubt I'll do that again, especially if these live streams continue.

Offline Andy

« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2021, 02:14:20 PM »
But it wouldn’t be Essex unless there was a fight breaking out with the wives/boyfriends trying to stop it by pointing out that “it ain’t worth it my dear”.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2021, 03:01:00 PM »
The worst match I attended was a 40 overs at Portsmouth - only time I was concerned being in a crowd as a lone female.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2021, 10:08:33 PM »
Again, it's another black mark towards the ground and the capacity. Only 6k allowed in means that the club are unable to accommodate both the drunks and the families. It has to be one or the other and unfortunately, the drunks spend far more money both to attend and also inside the ground getting leathered, so the club prioritises them with the night games.

If we had a capacity of say 10-12k, we could market our games for both, with separate sections for each and a dedicated decent sized family stand. I go to T20 at Lancs and they have it perfect because OT is so big. They have a monster party stand for all the drunks, stands for the cricket lovers and stands for the families. I can't remember ever seeing any trouble even at the Roses match.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 10:10:20 PM by Alex »

Offline Andy

« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2021, 11:05:33 AM »
Alex to be fair the atmosphere at Old Trafford is not half way what it is at Chelmsford.

Offline vim

« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2021, 11:55:33 AM »
When anyone said they would wish to be my guest at the Cricket. If the first question was what time does the Bar open? No invitation would be forthcoming.

Offline nat

« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2021, 01:33:15 PM »
When anyone said they would wish to be my guest at the Cricket. If the first question was what time does the Bar open? No invitation would be forthcoming.
Sounds like you have already made a visit or two!

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2021, 09:07:12 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/30/pom-bears-popchips-and-hula-hoops-why-the-hundred-is-so-hard-to-digest

Matthew Engel article:

an excerpt: "At least the products advertised on the shirts are based on reality, spreading some good cheer as well as obesity and unrecyclable waste. The team names are just random word connections confected by the ECB marketing department to link their random players. But I enjoyed finding out what a Pom-Bear is and was sorry the budget did not stretch to bribing God to retime the Mancunian rain and save Wednesday’s encounter between the McCoys and the Popchips. I did catch Thursday’s game at Lord’s when Tyrrells entertained Skips: trust MCC to grab the upmarket brand."