Author Topic: The 100 - the logic of the madhouse?  (Read 10838 times)

Offline nat

Re: The 100 - the logic of the madhouse?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 12:29:44 PM »
When is the spectator draft? I'm wondering how much money I'd need to be offered to go to a match ...
Don't worry I am sure they will be giving tickets away. All you'll need to do is dress up as a schoolboy or housewife and demonstrate no knowledge of cricket.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 12:42:27 PM »
When is the spectator draft? I'm wondering how much money I'd need to be offered to go to a match ...
Don't worry I am sure they will be giving tickets away. All you'll need to do is dress up as a schoolboy or housewife and demonstrate no knowledge of cricket.

I'd need enough money to cover my expenses and the waste of a day so a free ticket won't be enough. I'm female so obviously can't possibly know anything about cricket  ::)

Offline Postman

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 02:01:09 PM »

I'd need enough money to cover my expenses and the waste of a day so a free ticket won't be enough. I'm female so obviously can't possibly know anything about cricket  ::)

You've still surely got a chance to be picked up as a Wild Card spectator next summer!

Offline Wicky

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 02:06:04 PM »
I had it on the gogglebox and it was as comprehensible as a Japanese gameshow sans slime and subtitles.  Seems a commerically led marketing effort promoting cricket reflecting the sponsors airy processed fast food reconstituted snackettes.

Meanwhile in the real cricket world as an example of what is commonly befalling from an established Essex cricket club to our local league:

"...please accept this email as confirmation that our cricket club will not be participating in any of the competitions for 2020.  It was hoped that by entering the 2019 T20 competition it would allow us to continue our membership of the league going forward but in common with a lot of other clubs who play recreational cricket, the player participation interest in turning out (even for the reduced overs and elapsed time spent playing) was extremely poor and we struggled to get teams of players out on the pitch whether it was a midweek or a Sunday fixture.

This has left us with no choice but to regretfully withdraw from the T20 competition and on behalf of my club, I wish the league and all the participants good luck for the 2020 season."

This is even after ECB spent thousands of pounds without any consultation or research on Last Man Stands artificial pitches in a completely unsuitable location a couple of miles nearby.

Offline essexfan548

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »
You've still surely got a chance to be picked up as a Wild Card spectator next summer!

I certainly would be 'wild' if I had to watch that rubbish  ;D

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
Amazing how money talks as they all gushed forth about how exciting it would all be, if there was no T20 then maybe it would but how can you have any allegiance to any team, particularly Leics who have nobody at all, we have 2 in Wales & 1 in London, big deal!
Apparently if I read Cricinfo correctly it may take 5 years for the concept to break even, what if it doesn't?
These teams selected yesterday, how long are they operative for? Is there an annual draft or does this last for a few years?
So many questions unanswered, doubtless many more will arise in due course.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 04:28:59 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that the Welsh team contains no Welshmen?

Offline Andy

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 04:55:15 PM »
I had it on the gogglebox and it was as comprehensible as a Japanese gameshow sans slime and subtitles.  Seems a commerically led marketing effort promoting cricket reflecting the sponsors airy processed fast food reconstituted snackettes.

Reminds me of that Saturday Night Live sketch with confused American tourist Rory Templeton's  experiences of a Japanese game show...

Offline vim

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 06:22:16 PM »
I have not got Sky and did not watch the daft, sorry draft.

I bet it had the usual random ex player or celebrity who says how great it is. Then shortly afterwards says I have done what it says in my contract, can I have the money now please.

Despite how much they big it up. It is a competition with plastic teams, players who are only in it for the money. Spectators who when you are watching think I am glad they are in the ground and off the street.

The games will have as much relevance as an afternoon Greyhound race at Monmore.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »
These teams selected yesterday, how long are they operative for? Is there an annual draft or does this last for a few years?

next year  teams can retain up to a maximum of 10 of the 15 players with another draft.

Offline bwildered

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2019, 05:26:23 AM »
Nasser was the first pundit to realilze  EVERY player pick was  being described has fantastic, great and the best since sliced bread in this white ball fill your pockets format.
Never heard any mention of the unavailability of Kholi, Ashwin , Dhoni and Co from the draft .

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2019, 07:04:19 AM »
Now Root is saying that this competition will help England retain the World Cup. They are insulting our intelligence. Just take the money and keep your mouths shut.

Offline SirChef26

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2019, 05:01:41 PM »
From an Essex POV the big worry about the draft was despite the ECB’s “reassurances”, if you played for a Test Match Ground your chances of getting picked increased hugely. Trent Rockets signed virtually the entire Notts team whilst Manchester signed rubbish like Dane Vilas up for 125k. Believe me this will have been noticed by our undrafted players. Perhaps when it comes to contract renewal time the likes of Jamie Porter and Sam Cook will think “I want a slice of this money” and little old Essex lose our best players. We heard the rumours of Birmingham allegedly trying to “poach” Dan Lawrence, I suspect it won’t be the first time that happens.

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »
From an Essex POV the big worry about the draft was despite the ECB’s “reassurances”, if you played for a Test Match Ground your chances of getting picked increased hugely. Trent Rockets signed virtually the entire Notts team whilst Manchester signed rubbish like Dane Vilas up for 125k. Believe me this will have been noticed by our undrafted players. Perhaps when it comes to contract renewal time the likes of Jamie Porter and Sam Cook will think “I want a slice of this money” and little old Essex lose our best players. We heard the rumours of Birmingham allegedly trying to “poach” Dan Lawrence, I suspect it won’t be the first time that happens.

I 'd agree with much of what you have said but I don't think Vilas is 'rubbish' as you put it, he's a fine all forms player & a decent Capt especially when his error helped us win the QF!

Offline Postman

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 09:17:10 AM »
To see Messrs Harrison and Graves fumbling around before the House of Commons committee investigating cricket (and read the Cricinfo report) it's worth having a look at https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27911397/mps-grill-ecb-chiefs-budget-hundred-amid-growing-costs.
Neither of these gents would make it past the first round of The Apprentice.