Author Topic: The 100 - the logic of the madhouse?  (Read 10912 times)

Offline Postman

Re: The 100 - the logic of the madhouse?
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2019, 09:26:38 AM »
...and it's also worth reading George Dobell's written evidence to the committee on http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/digital-culture-media-and-sport-committee/the-future-of-english-cricket/written/106274.pdf.
(Thanks to the Somerset Grockles for this link). If MPs can spare some time from Brexit they ought to summon GD and give him the chance to air his views on TV.

Offline Slogger

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
Thanks Postman. It's looking like quite a mistake that the county CEOs didn't back a two division T20 format as advocated by Mr Nash. That makes sense to me and you could have had a draft of centrally funded overseas stars for the top division to give it some glitz. You could have even stolen Rugby league's million pound game concept for one of the promotion/relegation places between the two divisions and have the top four playing off in a finals day for the super league title.

In sport big stadiums, to my mind aren't everything. Even in football you get clubs with small grounds in the big time, often a tight little ground with partisan crowds making for a lively atmosphere. A bit like Chelmsford! Get that on free to air TV and you've got excitement, some big stars and a good geographical spread of fixtures so if youngsters saw it there might be a game on not too far away.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 10:11:09 AM by Slogger »

Offline Daren Mootoo

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2019, 09:59:04 AM »
To see Messrs Harrison and Graves fumbling around before the House of Commons committee investigating cricket (and read the Cricinfo report) it's worth having a look at https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27911397/mps-grill-ecb-chiefs-budget-hundred-amid-growing-costs.
Neither of these gents would make it past the first round of The Apprentice.

Speaking of "The Apprentice", Dean Ahmad (big cricket fan) from the current series is a guest on my radio show on Thursday, 7th. November at 6pm on Phoenix 98FM.

Offline nat

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2019, 11:58:59 AM »
To see Messrs Harrison and Graves fumbling around before the House of Commons committee investigating cricket (and read the Cricinfo report) it's worth having a look at https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27911397/mps-grill-ecb-chiefs-budget-hundred-amid-growing-costs.
Neither of these gents would make it past the first round of The Apprentice.

Well fire them!

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2019, 09:43:54 PM »
Strange how George Dobell can see clearly all these problems but the ECB clearly can't! No not really GD has intelligence & the ability to see all sides of the problem ECB are blinkered & dogmatic.

Online smandlej

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2019, 08:03:32 AM »
Having read the Dobell article, the course of events looks like this.  ECB get a load of money by selling out to Sky for cricket coverage and taking it off most people's TV screens.  They then realise that interest in cricket is waning, so they spend all the money they got in setting up a new cricket competition to try and bring people back.

Please see the title of this thread.

Lynda

Offline IlfordEagle

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2019, 07:03:31 PM »
A thought occurred to me in that as the County T20 Group stage precedes the 100 does that affect the O/S players signed to Counties ie Zampa to us for example - will they be able to/want to turn out for their Counties thus risking injuries or not?
I'm guessing some will not wish to risk jeopardising their fat salaries from the 100 & if so will devalue the domestic T20 unless Counties sign lesser known players. Also I can't see us getting Amir next year given Pakistan tour here in the second half of Summer.
So thanks again ECB for devaluing our T20 at a time when it is thriving virtually everywhere.

Offline squarelegumpire

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2019, 03:33:09 PM »
Strange how George Dobell can see clearly all these problems but the ECB clearly can't! No not really GD has intelligence & the ability to see all sides of the problem ECB are blinkered & dogmatic.

Excellent, thoughtful evidence. I was also struck by Graves somewhat unfortunate body language at the Parliamentary committee in the earlier clip, where he was jabbing his pen at his questioner. An aggressive and in pother circumstances intimidating gesture.

Offline mawallace

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 07:31:50 PM »
A thought occurred to me in that as the County T20 Group stage precedes the 100 does that affect the O/S players signed to Counties ie Zampa to us for example - will they be able to/want to turn out for their Counties thus risking injuries or not?
I'm guessing some will not wish to risk jeopardising their fat salaries from the 100 & if so will devalue the domestic T20 unless Counties sign lesser known players. Also I can't see us getting Amir next year given Pakistan tour here in the second half of Summer.
So thanks again ECB for devaluing our T20 at a time when it is thriving virtually everywhere.

I thought that but then I thought that maybe it would in reverse. If there's no other competitions going on it might be better for them to come over for the T20 and then to stay for the hundred, a bit like they stayed on from the World Cup this year.

Offline vim

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 09:17:38 PM »
To add to the madhouse theory. Wisden Cricketer mentioned the Abu Dhabi T10 which is even snappier than T20. That T10 is a format that follows the same laws of the game and is recognisable as cricket, unlike the 100.

After all 10 over matches was the accepted format years ago when a Gillette cup or Sunday league game was badly affected by the weather.

The T10 has been on Freesports Channel 64. It appears that no TV deal was in place so any channel could show it if they wished to.

Ravi Bopara was playing for the runners up.

Offline nat

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2021, 09:46:06 PM »
To add to the madhouse theory. Wisden Cricketer mentioned the Abu Dhabi T10 which is even snappier than T20. That T10 is a format that follows the same laws of the game and is recognisable as cricket, unlike the 100.

After all 10 over matches was the accepted format years ago when a Gillette cup or Sunday league game was badly affected by the weather.

The T10 has been on Freesports Channel 64. It appears that no TV deal was in place so any channel could show it if they wished to.

Proving your point I think ...no-one cares.

Offline JasonP

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 11:50:37 PM »

It was on Sky Sports as well.  I can’t imagine the rights would have been too expensive.

Online SirChef26

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2021, 02:42:52 PM »
So this abomination starts next week. If you are against this tournament, I implore you not to watch it. I know you'll be tempted to flick it on your TV, well don't do it and give Sky and/or BBC an extra viewer that they will use in their final viewing figures to try and peddle how successful the competition was come the end of it.

Don't watch it and don't post about it on social media either. Silence and non interest is the only thing worse than criticism online, because at least with criticism people are still talking about it, which means others will want to know what the fuss is about.

Make no mistake, if this tournament succeeds it marks the official beginning of the end for county cricket as the top level domestic standard in English cricket and the beginning of the end of every non test match county as a full-time outfit. Very sad times ahead.

Offline nat

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2021, 03:06:33 PM »
Sorry but what's happening in the cricket world next week?! RL Cup is the big/only event for me.

Offline LeedsExile

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2021, 04:03:20 PM »
Don't worry Alex there is no chance I will be "tempted" to watch. If it had been T10 I would have accepted it but another format is just not necessary.